puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Eugene.S

Re: puNES Emulator

Post by Eugene.S »

0.101 is out.
See first page for changelog.
BaconIsGood16

Post by BaconIsGood16 »

Hello I just wanted to thank you for adding the Auto Frame Skip OFF option and fixing the Audio hiccup. Thank you and have a nice day.
trebor

Post by trebor »

Two issues that hopefully may be addressed in future releases, currently utilizing 0.102 and happening under both the SDL and D3D versions:

1. Overscan cropping is applied after incorporating a shader effect; instead, it should be applied before the shader implementation.
For example, utilizing the shader 'CRT with curve', when Overscan is turned Off, the corners of the screen are round. However, when Overscan is turned On, the round corners of the screen are cropped out and pointed screen corners remain.

2. Software Filters "NTSC XXXXXXX" shrink the width of the screen; rather, the same screen size/width should be maintained.
The narrowing of the screen occurs in a window, but even more severely fullscreen. It does not happen with the other Software Filters: Scale #X, Hq#X, xBRZ #X, and xBRZ #X MT; they do not change the size/width of the display in either a window or fullscreen. The narrowing screen width only happens with: NTSC Composite, NTSC S-Video, and NTSC RGB.
kaega2

Post by kaega2 »

Hello I just wanted to thank you for adding the Auto Frame Skip OFF option and fixing the Audio hiccup. Thank you and have a nice day.
I'm also getting this audio hiccup, but I'm not seeing an Auto Frame Skip OFF option. Is this the same as setting frameskip to default, or is there something I'm missing?
SGAN

Post by SGAN »

puNES doesn't save configuration (at least using the --portable command line parameter).

I'm trying to make installers for myself with games and the emulator using differents batch files for launching the game with different configurations, and they works perfectly.

For example:
"puNES.exe "..\Game.zip" --portable -s 2x -i hq3x -v on -u yes"

But, among the preconfigured "launchers", I wanna make 2 special ones, one of them launching only the emulator (with no rom loaded, and using the portable mode too, called, for example "Game Config.bat") for configuring the emulator, and another one (called, for example, "Game (Default).bat", with no command line parameters (except "--portable" and "--fullscreen/-u yes") for lauching the game with the previously configured options with the other launcher.

But, when I launch the emulator (portable mode), and I change the options (for example, enabling the "xBRZ 3X" filter), after closing it, I look into the puNES.cfg file and it still says "filter=none", it doesn't save the config. In fact, if I start the emulator again (in the portable mode), it use no filters.

Is there a way to save the configuration I don't know? or doesn't it just save the config anyway?

With Mesen emulator, it works perfectly, but, it have sound "strange" with, for example, Gun-Nac

Thanks a lot.
frantik

Post by frantik »

Where do the screen shot files end up? I tried making a folder named "screenshot" in the punes folder and the folder of the rom but no screen shots appear
trebor

Post by trebor »

Under Windows (10) it places the capture under the user's documents folder within a puNES\screenshot subfolder.

I.E. "C:\Users\YourName\Documents\puNES\screenshot"
Chris_75

Post by Chris_75 »

I Love the puNES emulator except for one thing. I have searched all over video and can't find how to allow/disable 8 sprites. I need it disabled to run some of my roms. Can someone please tell me how ? I see it talked about in other places but does not say hot to allow more then 8 sprites. Please if someone can explain how to do it it would be appreciated.

I think I solved my problem. Settings ppu unlimited sprites option. That is it isn't it ? I just updated to 0.102. The version I had 0.98 that option was not there.
IRSUP2a03

Post by IRSUP2a03 »

What in the living caboodle is the puNES emulator? (I know it's an NES emulator, but what does it do?)

edit:I downloaded it, did not work.
I'M A DUDE! - Ed
Chris_75

Post by Chris_75 »

The need to make PuNES save all Files to the same folder as PuNES instead of documents. It does not have Libretro Support yet so It makes it impossible to use it as a stand alone with launchbox. Well You can but if Launchbox is on a flash drive like mine and use on different systems Then You can't use PuNES. Unless you take the documents folder with you and copy everything to that folder on another pc. Do to this I have switched back to NestopiaUE
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

Chris_75 wrote:The need to make PuNES save all Files to the same folder as PuNES instead of documents.
Rename:
punes32.exe to punes32_p.exe
or
punes64.exe to punes64_p.exe
to make it standalone
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

hi guys, i would like to maximise the size of the screen (in aspet ration 8:7) on my fullhd 46"
I have to use SCALE = 3x becasue if i use 4x the size is too big. But wih 3X i don't use all the screen on my tv. So i would like to use the opzon fullscreen in Window but if i select it, nothing happens...why?

thank ou!
tepples

Post by tepples »

I don't see how 4x is "too big" for a 1920x1080 pixel monitor, which is what I understand "full HD" to mean. A 4x scale should be blowing 256x240 up to 1024x960 or 1170x960 (with PAR compensation) or whatever. Or how is puNES misinterpreting 4x?
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

you are right, sorry. It was impossible to use 4X because in my monitor it was setted to 125% the dimension of text, app and so on. Now I set it to 100% and it is possible to use 4X and 5X in my tv screen.
But it isn't possible to use the option "fullscreen in Window", why?

thank you!
cyberstream

Post by cyberstream »

Hello,

On high resolution displays (like my 4K TV running at 4096x2160, with 250% display scaling), most of the UI elements are unusable. Attached are two screenshots showing what the input config window and the cheat window look like.
Attachments
Input Config Window.png
Cheat Editor Window.png
Cheat Editor Window.png (11.49 KiB) Viewed 33980 times