puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

zerowalker

Re: puNES Emulator

Post by zerowalker »

Ah but wait, which should be more accurately correct?
Cause it's all very confusing for me, cause i am just used to the Pixel 1:1 where it's all easy;P

And also, where are the save files located, i would like everything to be saved in the folder of the Emulator,
from my understanding it's in my documents, i find the folder but no clue which is the save file (not save stat).

Many thanks;D
tepples

Post by tepples »

The user may not have permission to write to the emulator folder, especially if an emulator is installed for all users in an administrator-owned folder such as %ProgramFiles%\application or /opt/publisher/application.

The convention is to create a folder inside the user's home directory and store settings, battery RAM files, and saved states there. On Windows, this folder is usually called %APPDATA%\publisher\application; on UNIX it's $HOME/.application or $HOME/.publisher/application. Because the file manager hides the %APPDATA% folder or folders whose name begins with ., it's convenient to offer a menu item within your emulator to open this folder in the file manager.
zerowalker

Post by zerowalker »

Ah i see.

And also i need some emergency help, the game didn't save last time i played:((
I played a lot, and restarted the games several times.

Then i let it be on, and the Emulator crashed when i focused on it.
Then i started the game anew, and the save file was from when i last started the Emulator:(

I am guessing i am screwed, or does the save file exist somewhere, temporary before saving when i guess the Emulator closes?

EDIT:

Have replayed it and added a request on Git to "fix" it, so that the save files are actually written on the spot.
cybermat

Post by cybermat »

Hello,
first of all congratulations for all the hard work put in this project.
I'm using version SDL 0.100 and i tried to use crt-royale.glslp (from the latest Retroarch pack), when i select the shader PuNes closes itself.

I have a laptop equipped with Intel Hd4000.

Could you please check this ?
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

lidnariq wrote:puNES doesn't even implement the VS System's coin drops or dip switches, nevermind supporting the alternate PPUs.
Vs. System support
BlackGuyRX wrote:Is there any option for exclusive fullscreen? I use a G-Sync monitor and this emulator doesn't seem to be compatible, it stutters when G-Sync is active, even if i try to add it to the 3D settings via nVidia control panel.
I'm sorry but I do not have a G-Sync monitor and even a video card NVidia. :(
tepples wrote:it's convenient to offer a menu item within your emulator to open this folder in the file manager
Good idea.
cybermat wrote:I'm using version SDL 0.100 and i tried to use crt-royale.glslp (from the latest Retroarch pack), when i select the shader PuNes closes itself.
I have a laptop equipped with Intel Hd4000.
I will contact you in private.
cybermat

Post by cybermat »

I took a video using OpenGL version, as you can see when screen moves vertically there is a line of artifacts.
I tried different options but i have the same behaviour.
Attachments
puNES.rar
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
ducktales.mp4
(572.22 KiB) Downloaded 4982 times
aych001

Post by aych001 »

Hello FHorse! I am a big fan of puNES! It is simply the best emulator, especially because the Video Shader 'CRT Scanlines' makes it look exactly like my childhood TV. :D :lol:
Also, wonderful job on the 7-Zip support. Now I can play directly from the GoodNES ROM set without having to extract them or reconvert them into ZIP archives.
Now, I have a question for you. Will you be adding AVI Recording in a future release?
gabb995

Post by gabb995 »

Hello!
I've been trying to use RetroArch shaders without success.
For the Dx9 version I use the .cgp files but get a "shader error. use no filter" (or something very similar to that)
Using the SDL version, I use the .glslp files but when I try to load them, puNES crashes.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

aych001 wrote:Hello FHorse! I am a big fan of puNES! It is simply the best emulator, especially because the Video Shader 'CRT Scanlines' makes it look exactly like my childhood TV. :D :lol:
Also, wonderful job on the 7-Zip support. Now I can play directly from the GoodNES ROM set without having to extract them or reconvert them into ZIP archives.
Now, I have a question for you. Will you be adding AVI Recording in a future release?
Hi aych001, first of all thx for the support :). In my list of things to do there is also the possibility to record a video of the game session. Sooner or later.
gabb995 wrote:Hello!
I've been trying to use RetroArch shaders without success.
For the Dx9 version I use the .cgp files but get a "shader error. use no filter" (or something very similar to that)
Using the SDL version, I use the .glslp files but when I try to load them, puNES crashes.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
I sent you a private message.

If someone want test the last 0.101 WIP these are links
Windows:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/215 ... p.d3d9.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/215 ... p.d3d9.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/215 ... ip.sdl.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/215 ... ip.sdl.zip
Linux:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21595068/punes32
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21595068/punes64
Changelog:
- Full support of Vs System (dip switches, coin counter, etc.).
- Overclocking (based on the idea of feos).
- Added a new feature : "Tools" menu.
- UNIF mapper TF1201 ("Lethal Weapon (Ch)").
nothingtosay

Post by nothingtosay »

FHorse, it's impressive that you keep adding very tangible enhancements to your emulator! I'm especially happy about the recent additions of being able to load a custom shader and disable the sprite limit and I'll have to try out the new overclocking function.

I had an idea for another enhancement that probably would be pretty easy. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd really appreciate being able to save settings for different games, especially palettes and overscan cropping. I currently have a text document where I write down how much each game needs to be cropped to eliminate artifacts while preserving all the rest of the image, and I have to look at it and then change the values in the emulator each time I switch games. Also, different games look better with different palettes. It would be great if I could get everything set up how I want it and then save a game-specific profile that would be automatically loaded the next time I open the game. I hope you consider my request. In any case, keep up the great work. :beer:
reedwolf

Post by reedwolf »

I really like this emulator, but now I encountered a compiling error under Linux for v0.100 with latest packages (GCC 6.1.1):
xBRZ/xbrz.cpp: In function ‘double {anonymous}::distRGB(uint32_t, uint32_t)’:
xBRZ/xbrz.cpp:174:12: error: ‘sqrt’ is not a member of ‘std’
return std::sqrt(square(r_diff) + square(g_diff) + square(b_diff));
xBRZ/xbrz.cpp: In function ‘double {anonymous}::distYCbCr(uint32_t, uint32_t, double)’:
xBRZ/xbrz.cpp:201:12: error: ‘sqrt’ is not a member of ‘std’
return std::sqrt(square(lumaWeight * y) + square(c_b) + square(c_r));
xBRZ/xbrz.cpp: In constructor ‘{anonymous}::DistYCbCrBuffer::DistYCbCrBuffer()’:
xBRZ/xbrz.cpp:237:44: error: ‘sqrt’ is not a member of ‘std’
buffer = static_cast<float>(std::sqrt(square(y) + square(c_b) + square(c_r)));

I think sqrt is a member of math not std, plus I don't think it is needed to specify it. But just looking up the github page, a patch has already been committed...
It was probably already mentioned but I'd really like to have a debugger menu if it's possible :mrgreen: .
tepples

Post by tepples »

std::sqrt in cppreference.com

Is #include <cmath> in the right place?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

reedwolf wrote:I think sqrt is a member of math not std, plus I don't think it is needed to specify it.
It is a member of std if you include <cmath>. It may also be a member of the global namespace (varies).

If you include <math.h> instead it will just be in the global namespace.

xbrz.cpp appears to include neither. I imagine that it was accidentally working because of some implementation that collaterally includes std::sqrt through another header.
BaconIsGood16

Post by BaconIsGood16 »

Hello, Can you please add a Frame Skip OFF option. Thank you and have a nice day.
Boo Berry

Post by Boo Berry »

Trying to use the bilinear.cgp and nearest.cgp shaders from the libretro common-shaders Git repo causes an error on loading the shaders, switch to "No filter" message.