puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

zxbdragon

Re: puNES Emulator

Post by zxbdragon »

great!
millansoft

Post by millansoft »

Hello,

I downloaded 1.04 version, but when I launch it with the following command line "punes32 --fullscreen yes" I just get a white screen and Windows tells me that the punes32 doesnt respond. With version 1.02 I dont have such problem.
If I open punes32 1.04 without any command line it opens fine in a window and I can put it in full screen with alt+enter and it works great.
The problem is when I launch it directly to full screen from command line.
I tried both versions D3D9 and OpenGl with the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks
TCH

Post by TCH »

Hello, i'm trying to build puNES 0.104, but it says "configure: error: Qt5 library not found".
Qt5 is in /opt/Qt5.10.1/ and i've tried to add this and it's subdirs to both PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH, but no avail. How can i build it? Is it still possible to build it with Qt4?
Pink Bandana

Post by Pink Bandana »

I've compiled puNES on Linux from git but I'm having a couple of problems. I don't hear any sound and it spits the error "snd_pcm_start() failed (Broken pipe)". Catting the hw_params file for my sound card reveals that something is happening, but there is no sound. I tried messing with all the audio settings and the same error occurs. The other issue is that, according to the FPS counter, puNES only runs at 30 or 36 FPS until I load a ROM and then perform a soft or hard reset, after which it will run at 60. Changing video settings while a ROM is loaded may drop it back down to 36 until I do another reset. This happens regardless of wheter the V-Sync option is enabled or not.
TCH

Post by TCH »

It turned out that some Qt5 packages were missing, so i've managed to compile puNES 0.104, but the results are devastating.

My old Qt4 based puNES 0.102 used up ~35%/~2% (user/system) CPU, but this new one uses up ~90%/~40% and there is no sound. Also it lags terribly.

Out of curiousity, i've downloaded 0.102 sources again and this time i've built it aganist Qt5. Aside the few hundred kBytes of extra RAM usage, the results were equivalent to the Qt4 version. Then i had downloaded 0.103 and built it. The same as 0.104: high CPU usage, no sound and lagging.

I've read in the changelogs, that in 0.103 not only Qt4, but also SDL was dropped. Maybe that is the cause?

I've compiled all versions and binaries with --with-opengl-nvidia-cg --enable-release.
xZabuzax

Post by xZabuzax »

Thanks for the new version, the 2 bugs that I reported recently was fixed, awesome!

I'd like to report another bug that I forgot to mention which also happens in this new version: the "Start/Stop WAV" hotkey can't be changed, edited nor disabled so it will always be enabled, this is the only hotkey that has this issue. Even if you change or disable that hotkey in the configuration file "input.cfg" it will always reset to the default key which is "Alt+V" every time you open the emulator. BTW, I'm using "puNES win64 OpenGL".

ImageImage

Also, if possible I would like to ask a minor feature request:

1 - Would you please provide an on-screen text in full-screen to see which Save State Slot you have selected? because we can only see the Save State Slot in windowed mode.

2 - Since you replaced "Timeline" with "Rewind" we aren't able to rewind the game in full-screen anymore, to be able to rewind the game we need to be in windowed mode and rewind it manually with the mouse. Would you please add a hotkey to be able to rewind the game in full-screen?

Keep up the awesome work mate. Thanks!
TCH

Post by TCH »

Okay, i've figured it out. It seems that i had the same problem as Pink Bandana. The problem was, that puNES had the sound device on "default" and that way it could not play any audio. When i set it to the proper device (SB Audigy 5/Rx [SB1550] : plughw:0,3 in my case), the lag, the muteness and the insane CPU usage were gone.

However, the new puNES still eats up an additional 5-10% CPU compared to 0.102. (~30-35 vs ~40-45) The changelog in 0.103 mentioned 20%-30% improved performance.
Pink Bandana

Post by Pink Bandana »

Hmm that's interesting, I don't get any sound no matter what I do with the settings.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

TCH and Pink Bandana I answered in PM.
Pr3tty F1y

Post by Pr3tty F1y »

I'm having a minor full screen video issue in r1064 and I'm thinking this 'bug' may have been introduced in r1059 (If I'm doing my math right, it's the 5/25/19 commit 008455e), but I can't track down this build or the previous build to check and I'm not setup to compile currently.

I'm using the Windows 32-bit OpenGL build.

It seems that full screen is using integer scaling only or displaying additional black bars (beyond the overscan black bars). Basically, the visible image is not fully stretched vertically (although it is holding it's aspect ratio). This happens regardless of overscan setting. Setting 'stretch' for full screen stretches the image to the maximum height/width of my monitor, but it obviously loses the correct AR.

I reverted back to .104 and the outputted image is stretched fully vertically with a matching/correct horizontal AR (I have mine set to 8:7/NTSC). This is on a 1920x1080 16:9 monitor.

SO basically, it would be nice if the visible image was stretched to the maximum height of the monitor because as it currently stands, there is a top and bottom black border and that essentially scales down the visible image on the screen.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Pr3tty F1y wrote:I'm having a minor full screen video issue in r1064 and I'm thinking this 'bug' may have been introduced in r1059 (If I'm doing my math right, it's the 5/25/19 commit 008455e), but I can't track down this build or the previous build to check and I'm not setup to compile currently.

I'm using the Windows 32-bit OpenGL build.

It seems that full screen is using integer scaling only or displaying additional black bars (beyond the overscan black bars). Basically, the visible image is not fully stretched vertically (although it is holding it's aspect ratio). This happens regardless of overscan setting. Setting 'stretch' for full screen stretches the image to the maximum height/width of my monitor, but it obviously loses the correct AR.

I reverted back to .104 and the outputted image is stretched fully vertically with a matching/correct horizontal AR (I have mine set to 8:7/NTSC). This is on a 1920x1080 16:9 monitor.

SO basically, it would be nice if the visible image was stretched to the maximum height of the monitor because as it currently stands, there is a top and bottom black border and that essentially scales down the visible image on the screen.
Hi Pr3tty F1y, it's not a bug but it is a feature that was requested. I'll create a new option to use the new feature or the old mode.
Arty

Post by Arty »

Hello.
Thank you so much for the emulator! You are doing great. I would like to make a few wishes and comments.

1. If Zapper is inserted, then the Up and Down buttons do not work in the Antarctic Adventure game. Exactly the same behavior in Nestopia. Is it a glitch, or did the real console also behave like this?

2. Is it possible to make sure that during game acceleration (2x ... 5x) the sound is not muted (optional)? And also, so that this function is available not only in the "On" / "Off" mode, but also by holding the key (while holding the key pressed, acceleration works, and if you release it, it stops)? That is the way it was in Nestopia.

3. I do not use rewind. However, the red / green buttons of this function are too highlighted at the bottom of the window. Is it possible to make them more harmonious color, or actually add the ability to remove them?

4. I know that to get the portable version you need to rename the EXE file. But I don’t know how I know this :) It would be useful to report this along with the download links.

5. It would be nice to add Keyboard emulation for Family BASIC.

6. An NSF player often stops working or plays only 3-4 seconds of tracks, if you use a pause or often go back and forth between tracks. (Win7x64, dxd9-x32-version) This is especially often manifested in such music as, for example, “Contra Force” or “Magical Doropie” ("Krion Conquest").

7. It would be interesting to add the ability to display information about ROM: mapper (both the number and the original name), its technical characteristics like RAM, etc.

8. When I save the game, I am convinced of this only in full-screen mode. There are no signs in the window that the game save has worked. Why not add this to the status bar?

Thanks again. Surely there are still a lot of comments (I know about puNES from version 0.102, but now I decided to switch to it completely), but what is already there is very cool.
Casfin

Post by Casfin »

Hi, Thanks for your great work!

I would like you to consider implementing this function:

Be able to set the gameplay speed. E.g. 90 FPS (150%) or 120 FPS (200%) or 30 FPS (50%). Thanks in advance.
legendarysnake

Post by legendarysnake »

Hi FHorse, I found your topic through the website emulation gametechwiki. I finished final fantasy iii on puNES. I have one question and one suggestion:
question: Where is the save file? I was only able to finish Final Fantasy III using a cheat to make my characters stronger. But I want to try to finish correctly, grinding. But I want to do this in nesterj, the nes emulator for PSP.
Suggestion- being able to use several lines on cheats. I use the site gamehacking to get my nes cheats. But some cheats have 2 lines instead of one. Like the infinite hp on final fantasy iii that goes like this:
OUVLXGOP
OUVUOGOP

I can only insert 1 line on gamegenie.

ps: thanks for making this emulator, the interface is beautiful, modern and intuitive. The games looks pretty on it as well. :D
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Sorry for the late reply. I have sent a private message to everyone.