puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

koitsu

Re: puNES Emulator

Post by koitsu »

Gut feeling is that a Display Scaling setting of 250% is responsible; does the problem go away if you set Display Scaling at 100%? (I know you can't leave the setting this way, but if you could confirm, that would be good)

If it fixes it: author may need to adjust text display bits to take screen scaling percentage (or maybe DpiX / DpiY?) into consideration.
cyberstream

Post by cyberstream »

koitsu wrote:Gut feeling is that a Display Scaling setting of 250% is responsible; does the problem go away if you set Display Scaling at 100%? (I know you can't leave the setting this way, but if you could confirm, that would be good)

If it fixes it: author may need to adjust text display bits to take screen scaling percentage (or maybe DpiX / DpiY?) into consideration.
With no display scaling, the UI works as intended, so it's definitely related to that. I know not everyone uses this feature yet, but going forward into the future with higher DPI displays becoming common or the norm, it will become more of a concern.
MagusLOGS

Post by MagusLOGS »

I love puNES and hope to see a RetroArch puNES Core one day, such a wonderful emulator!
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

Hi

i would like to buy a a mini-pc (mini-itx) to connect it to my tv fullHD for retrogaming.
Is PuNes supported in the same way both from Intel i5/i7 and AMD Ryzen 2600X/2700X?
I would like to buy an AMD Ryzen 2600X, cheaper and with really good performance. Or is it better to buy and Intel processor becasue it has a better compatibility with PuNes?

thanks
tepples

Post by tepples »

How does puNES determine SRAM size for MMC5 games that have an unknown CRC and no NES 2.0 header?

There's a standing recommendation to default to 64K. When w7n (a member of the FamiTracker users' Discord server) complained about an emulator not following this, I recommended that ROM authors could specify the correct RAM size in an NES 2.0 header. But w7n claimed that it would be just as easy for each emulator author to default to 64K for pre-NES 2.0 headers, as specified on the wiki, as it would for each ROM author to switch from the old header to NES 2.0.

I'm asking this with respect to multiple emulators' MMC5 implementations, as each may or may not be affected by this design decision.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Currently, homebrew MMC5 games not in puNES's database must use a NES2.0 header and must specify the amount of RAM as the submapper field (sigh): 0=8k, 1=default=none, 2=8+8, 3=32. In the absence of a NES2.0 header and lacking a database entry, the corresponding value is a C global, so initialized to 0 by crt0 and not changed subsequently by code.

All that said:
it would be just as easy for each emulator author to default to 64K for pre-NES 2.0 headers, as specified on the wiki, as it would for each ROM author to switch from the old header to NES 2.0.
is a shitty argument. Not only are underspecified headers a problem for emulator authors, but they're also a problem for hardware. It reeks of entitlement: "why should I specify what I need when I could make it everyone else's problem?" Furthermore, if a person does want to make a physical reproduction, how do they know what board is used? Do they have to do rework? Add parts? Can they use an existing thing without modification? Instead of just bundling that information in the first place the person now has to open the homebrew/romhack in a debugging emulator to find out.

P.S. "There was a text file that specified that" doesn't count. It will be separated for the ROM file and then it's as good as never having existed.
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

puNES 0.103 is out:
Changelog:
- Added support for the UNIF mapper UNIF DREAMTECH01.
- Fixed mapper MMC5 and 213.
- Added support for NSFe format.
- Added OpenBSD support.
- Added support for IPS, BPS and XDELTA patches.
It's possible to patch the ROM through 3 ways:
1) rename the patch with the same name as the ROM and copy it to the same directory where the ROM is present (example: if "Adventures of Lolo (U) [!].nes" is the name of the ROM, rename the patch in "Adventures of Lolo (U) [!].ips")
2) drag it to the emulator window (compressed patches are supported)
3) apply it via the "Apply Patch" item in the File menu (compressed patches are supported)
If more than one patch is present in the compressed file, it will always be possible to select which one to apply. In order to automatically apply a patch to a ROM, in addition to method 1) it is also possible to create a compressed archive that contains both the ROM and the patch. In this case the name of the ips file isn't important (example : compressed file contain "Adventures of Lolo (U) [!].nes" and "adv.ips").
- Rewritten the UI for the settings.
- Added the compatibility of the UI for High DPI.
- Rewritten and uniformed GFX stack.
- Increased performance by 20%/30%.
- Dropped out dependencies from SDL and QT4 libraries.
- Now it's necessary that QT5 have compiled with support for SVG (and OpenGL for OpenGL version).
- Fixed the management of VSync (when you change this option you need to restart the emulator to apply it correctly).
- Added the ability to change shader parameters if supported by the shader.
- Added a palette editor.
- Added in Video Settings an option to show FPS.
- Eliminated a lot of unnecessary code.
- Fixed many many bugs and increased the accuracy of emulation.
Attachments
puNES_103.png
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

hi, i had the 0.102 version, sdl 64 bit. Now i want to update to 0.103. Well, the updated version of the sdl is the opengl version? Is so, in order to update correctly the emulator have I to overwrite the punrs64.exe fil and the 3 .dll files (7z.dll, cg.dll, cgGL.dll)? Is it correct?

thank you
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

legolas119 wrote:hi, i had the 0.102 version, sdl 64 bit. Now i want to update to 0.103. Well, the updated version of the sdl is the opengl version? Is so, in order to update correctly the emulator have I to overwrite the punrs64.exe fil and the 3 .dll files (7z.dll, cg.dll, cgGL.dll)? Is it correct?

thank you
Hi Legolas, the answer is yes to all three questions.
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

perfect, thank you!
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

Another question: in my previous folder, with sdl version, i had in addition a SDL.dll file: can I delete it now? It is not necessary, am I right?
millansoft

Post by millansoft »

Hello,

Anyone has trouble with the first Mega Man? I just get a green screen when I load it.

Thanks a lot, the emulator is very nice really.
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

millansoft wrote:Hello,

Anyone has trouble with the first Mega Man? I just get a green screen when I load it.

Thanks a lot, the emulator is very nice really.
yes, me too. Same issue. It's quite strange
xZabuzax

Post by xZabuzax »

Hello, I would like to report 2 bugs that I've found in the latest version v0.103, I suppose most of you should be aware of this by now.

1st Bug:

The version v0.97 said this in the changelog: (eliminated the setting "Hide the mouse cursor." Now the mouse cursor is hidden automatically after two seconds of inactivity of the mouse. Appears again to mouse movement.)

However, this is not working in the latest version v0.103, the mouse cursor is not hiding anymore so I'm forced to move the cursor to the corner of the screen to hide it myself.

2nd Bug:

Pressing the "Switch Sides" hotkey while playing a NES game will pause the game and the only way to un-pause it is switching between Full Screen or Windowed. If these inconveniences could be fixed that would be awesome.

I consider puNES to be the best NES emulator at this moment so Kudos to the author, I was using Nestopia in the past for a couple of years but I moved to puNES recently and haven't looked back. Keep up the awesome work mate!
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

puNES 0.104 is out:
- Fixed graphical problem with xBRZ filter.
- Fixed mappers 50, 90, 156, 178, UNL-KOF97, UNL-VRC7, MMC3 KT-008 PCB.
- Fixed possible issue with High DPI monitor.
- The shortcuts were not applied and saved correctly. Fixed.
- For the general UxROM mapper use a full 8-bit bank select register.
- Fixed compilation with QT 5.12 under Windows.
- Fixed the management of the zapper that now also correctly manages the X coordinates.
- Updated the Russian translation (thx Alter0ne).
- Fixed the disappearance of the mouse cursor after two seconds.
- Fixed the emulator freezing if pressed "Switch Sides" hotkey.
- Added the rewind function that replaces the timeline.

Now it is possible to "rewind" the game. Once the rewind function has
been activated (at any time during the game) it is possible to move
forward and backward in the gameplay one frame at a time or at different
speeds (1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x or 64x). You will be able to move
freely in the recording until you press the "play" button, from that
moment all the gameplay memorized after the selected frame will be lost.
In the "general settings" you can select the duration in minutes of the
recordable gameplay (the different options are: disable, 2mins, 5mins,
15mins, 30min, 60mins or unlimited) but keep in mind that the more
minutes you can record the more space on the hard disk will be used.