puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

FHorse:
1. Both Linux and Windows version have "dirty" bilinear filtering in fullscreen-mode (only OpenGL render, GLSL is good).
2x, 3x, 4x :
ImageImageImage

2. Can you add tv-aspect window proportion (4:3 or 5:4) like nestopia?

3. Can you add capability to mix bilinear filter with any other filter, i.e: (bilinear+ntsc, bilinear+Hq3x etc) ?
Last edited by Eugene.S on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
danimal

Source

Post by danimal »

Is this an open source project?
FHorse

Re: Source

Post by FHorse »

danimal wrote:Is this an open source project?
Not for now. Currently it's just a personal project to learn C. The intention, however, is to release the sources in a (not far) future.
FHorse

Version 0.64

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
Rewrite from scratch the audio subsytem and now there are two new options in the "Audio" menu, "Low" and "High" quality.
"Low" is the old engine, "High" is the new engine. Just try to hear the difference.
Fixed many bugs in APU emulation which is now much more accurate.
Added the ability to have a portable version of the emulator. Just rename the executable:
Linux:
punes32 -> punes32_p
punes64 -> punes64_p
Windows
punes32.exe -> punes32_p.exe
punes64.exe -> punes64_p.exe
When the executable becomes a portable version, it create and use the folder where is the exe as the root folder.
Dwedit

Re: puNES Emulator (ex Fnes)

Post by Dwedit »

Stereo Sound still sounds awful though. It's like it takes one frame between the left channel and right channel updating.
It should not be the default option.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

Stereo-mode sounds nice in headphones
FHorse

Version 0.65

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
0.65 (bugfix relase)
Fixed a small bug introduced in version 0.64.
Adjusted slightly to stereo mode
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Dwedit wrote:Stereo Sound still sounds awful though. It's like it takes one frame between the left channel and right channel updating.
It should not be the default option.
If they have stereo, they should have option mono/stereo and if stereo is set to have option to instead make it the 2A03 APU channels panning, such as square channels left and other channels right, for example.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Can I recommend pre-scaling by a factor of 2 in each dimension, then applying bi-linear filtering? This serves to help non-integral scaling factors still look crisp, but not have such uneven-looking pixels. Plain bi-linear filtering looks too soft and ruins small lines and dots, so such a feature would give a nice appearance.
tepples

Post by tepples »

mikejmoffitt wrote:Can I recommend pre-scaling by a factor of 2 in each dimension, then applying bi-linear filtering?
For an illustration of this, see the second and third of the big images in this post.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

tepples wrote:
mikejmoffitt wrote:Can I recommend pre-scaling by a factor of 2 in each dimension, then applying bi-linear filtering?
For an illustration of this, see the second and third of the big images in this post.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to do it.
FHorse

Version 0.66

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
Fixed some little bugs in the apu engine (sweep and triangle) and implemented the non-linearity and interaction between audio channels. Now (finally) the apu_mixer (http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Emulator_tests) test roms works well in puNES (I hope).
Alterac

Post by Alterac »

Are there any command line options to allow me to start it full screen? (-fullscreen romfile.rom maybe?)

Also, I have a Logtitech F710 Wireless Gamepad that it does not recognize the D-Pad for, I need to map the directions to an analog stick, and that just doesnt work well. (The Dpad is recognized in both Snes9x 1.53, and Kega Fusion 3.64)

Keep up the great work.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Alterac wrote:Are there any command line options to allow me to start it full screen? (-fullscreen romfile.rom maybe?)
For a list of command line options you can use the "-h". You can start in fullscreen mode with "--fullscreen yes romfile.rom" or "-u yes romfile.rom"
Alterac wrote:Also, I have a Logtitech F710 Wireless Gamepad that it does not recognize the D-Pad for, I need to map the directions to an analog stick, and that just doesnt work well. (The Dpad is recognized in both Snes9x 1.53, and Kega Fusion 3.64)
First, which version are you using (linux or windows)?
Alterac wrote:Keep up the great work.
Alterac

Post by Alterac »

FHorse wrote:
Alterac wrote: Also, I have a Logtitech F710 Wireless Gamepad that it does not recognize the D-Pad for, I need to map the directions to an analog stick, and that just doesnt work well. (The Dpad is recognized in both Snes9x 1.53, and Kega Fusion 3.64)
First, which version are you using (linux or windows)?
Windows 7 pro 64bit with puNES 32bit