puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

DCMullins

Re: puNES Emulator (ex Fnes)

Post by DCMullins »

Dwedit wrote:Usually you don't want to write to the EXE directory as a limited user on Windows 7, because then you'd get a UAC prompt.

But I think there is a good way to satisfy everyone: If no config file exists in the program directory, use the appdata directory as normal. But if it exists, AND the user also has write permissions, use the program directory to store the config file.
Last edited by DCMullins on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
codenap

Post by codenap »

DCMullins wrote:FHorse, how do you feel about moving the configuration storage to the same location as the puNES executable? This would allow users to maintain the program on a flash drive for use on multiple computers without the need to manually copy preferred settings.
from changelog of version 0.64:
FHorse wrote:...
Added the ability to have a portable version of the emulator. Just rename the executable:
Linux:
punes32 -> punes32_p
punes64 -> punes64_p
Windows
punes32.exe -> punes32_p.exe
punes64.exe -> punes64_p.exe
When the executable becomes a portable version, it create and use the folder where is the exe as the root folder.
weebeez

Post by weebeez »

Eugene.S wrote:NesCycle is also pretty name. Old-good Nesticle inspired, but with cycle-accuracy timings.
lol... the "c" and the "l" are so close that I read that as "NesCyde"
and then that got me thinking of GenNEScyde. But then because
of the "Gen" people might assume it does both Genesis -and- NES.
That and the name might not conjure up the most pleasant images.
tepples

Post by tepples »

weebeez wrote:lol... the "c" and the "l" are so close that I read that as "NesCyde"
I thought NESICIDE was cpow's emulator.
thefox

Post by thefox »

weebeez wrote:
Eugene.S wrote:NesCycle is also pretty name. Old-good Nesticle inspired, but with cycle-accuracy timings.
I sure would want to associate my (non-existent) emulator with genocide for the sake of a pun! :)
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

thefox wrote:
weebeez wrote:
I sure would want to associate my (non-existent) emulator with genocide for the sake of a pun! :)
I've been considering the name GENICIDE for a Sega Genesis version of NESICIDE for **ages**. 8-)

godaddy...hmmmm...it's available.
HJRodrigo

Post by HJRodrigo »

I've been considering the name GENICIDE for a Sega Genesis version of NESICIDE for **ages**. 8-)

godaddy...hmmmm...it's available.
That would be awesome 8-). This would be the place to discuss it, if you did make an IDE for the genesis.
NesCycle is also pretty name. Old-good Nesticle inspired, but with cycle-accuracy timings.
LOL, NestiCYcle or NESTIcyCLE.
Firebrandx

Post by Firebrandx »

My apologies if this has already been covered but:

When I tried punes winx64, I was limited to window mode only and software only on the rendering. Why is this? Also, I noticed there is severe lag from action-to-sound ratio. It seems like the sound plays almost a full second after the action takes place. This is much worse than any other NES emulator I've tried, and a lot of them have a feature where you can change the buffer length.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

If you have only software mode, your video driver don't support opengl. I know that in windows version there are many problem with sdl/opengl and for this I'm going to rewrite the stack video / audio for directx. It will take me a while but I'm going to leave the library sdl also in linux version.
Firebrandx

Post by Firebrandx »

My radeon HD card does support opengl. It seems to me puNES just simply doesn't realize it.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Firebrandx wrote:My radeon HD card does support opengl. It seems to me puNES just simply doesn't realize it.
I've send you a private message. Read it please.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

My Radeon 4250 mobile supports it. I'm SURE your card supports it, as mine is a piece of garbage. puNES works here. :)
DukeJP

Post by DukeJP »

Please, add suport to configure a "deadzone" for the pad. Im using a xbox360 controller, and its impossible controling megaman or mario! The stick is too sensible, and this pad cant be configurated in Sytem Options. If i use another set of "tuned" drivers, the pad loses all compatibility with another games. (Sorry my english)
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

DukeJP wrote:Please, add suport to configure a "deadzone" for the pad. Im using a xbox360 controller, and its impossible controling megaman or mario! The stick is too sensible, and this pad cant be configurated in Sytem Options. If i use another set of "tuned" drivers, the pad loses all compatibility with another games. (Sorry my english)
Ok. Now, I'm busy with new video/audio/input stack for directx, when I finish I will contact you to resolve the problem. :)
DukeJP

Post by DukeJP »

FHorse wrote:
DukeJP wrote:Please, add suport to configure a "deadzone" for the pad. Im using a xbox360 controller, and its impossible controling megaman or mario! The stick is too sensible, and this pad cant be configurated in Sytem Options. If i use another set of "tuned" drivers, the pad loses all compatibility with another games. (Sorry my english)
Ok. Now, I'm busy with new video/audio/input stack for directx, when I finish I will contact you to resolve the problem. :)
Thanks. Your emulator is great! AFAIK, its the only one can play the tricky High Hopes demo and Quantum disco brothers demo too. Those demos i use to test compatibility, and your emu is the only works with both of them. Keep up your great work.