puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

FHorse

Version 0.94

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
0.94 (Bigfix release)
- fixed xBRZ in the D3D9 release.
- Added the translated english version of "Lagrange Point" to the database.
uVSthem

Re: puNES Emulator (ex Fnes)

Post by uVSthem »

I hope everyone is supporting the emulator with donations. I just made mine. With that I have a question about light gun support. Is there suppose to be a special icon of any sort like when aiming with the mouse? Like a target or something? When I play light gun games I just see my normal mouse arrow over the game play. It works fine but it is kind of awkward aiming with a white arrow. Also, is there any plans to add a fast forward button? I love being about to hold the L bumper button on my Xbox gamepads to speed up unskippable intro and cut screens I have no interest in. This is a great emulator, looking forward to the next release.
Samhain

Post by Samhain »

How can we see this FamiCom Disk System boot screen?

https://youtu.be/x5MjeUoh9So
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

uVSthem wrote:I hope everyone is supporting the emulator with donations. I just made mine. With that I have a question about light gun support. Is there suppose to be a special icon of any sort like when aiming with the mouse? Like a target or something? When I play light gun games I just see my normal mouse arrow over the game play. It works fine but it is kind of awkward aiming with a white arrow. Also, is there any plans to add a fast forward button? I love being about to hold the L bumper button on my Xbox gamepads to speed up unskippable intro and cut screens I have no interest in. This is a great emulator, looking forward to the next release.
Many thanks usVSthem. I'll answer in PM.
Samhain wrote:How can we see this FamiCom Disk System boot screen?

https://youtu.be/x5MjeUoh9So
Load FDS disk, Eject Disk, Reset (F11 or F12).
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Sounds good. The translated english version of "Lagrange Point" is still scrambled when I run it in .94
Black Zero

Post by Black Zero »

I got a question.

Is there any chance for Dipswitches to be implemented? Let me give you an example of this.
The Nintendo World Championship 1990 Cartridge/ROM.

In real life this was a competition cartridge with three special made mini games made of Super Mario Bros./Rad Racer/Tetris and the timer was set on 6 minutes and 21 seconds and the mission was to collect 50 coins in Super Mario Bros., race to the finish in Rad Racer and get the high score in Tetris.

I've seen in Nestopia you can change the time and if to show timer using Dipswitches.

In puNES, I think it's set to default values of 6 minutes and 15,5 seconds, the closest it can get to 6:21 and also it's not showing the timer of how much time it's left.

Can this be done in puNES?
Black Zero

Post by Black Zero »

OK so I played some Tetris today and noticed something wrong in puNES (v094 SDL version)

There's a square on the right side of the screen that says NEXT and apparently is gonna show the next block coming, but it's always empty and doesn't show anything.

However in NestopiaUE 1.46 it's working fine and is showing which block to come next.

It's not game breaking by any means but I thought I let you know about it.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Elorg was still experimenting with the rules of Tetris back then. The preview was one of the things that wasn't standardized. In fact, some early games let the player turn preview on and off and gave more points for playing without it. It's certainly not like today where it's effectively a requirement to show at least the next three pieces.

Did you try pressing the Select button?
Black Zero

Post by Black Zero »

tepples wrote:Elorg was still experimenting with the rules of Tetris back then. The preview was one of the things that wasn't standardized. In fact, some early games let the player turn preview on and off and gave more points for playing without it. It's certainly not like today where it's effectively a requirement to show at least the next three pieces.

Did you try pressing the Select button?
Well I don't know about that but for some reason when I restarted puNES it works all of a sudden like it's supposed to do.
So I guess I pressed some button while playing to turn it off like you say.

Case closed!
sndwv

Post by sndwv »

Would adding support for an actual Zapper be possible?

With the bliss-box adapter it is possible to connect a real Zapper and have a trigger pull register as device button 1 and 'senses light' as device button 2. Someone over at the bliss-box forum modified Nintendulaotr and Nestopia to make these buttons mappable and added the required hit/miss routine and made it work (CRT of course still required): http://blissbox.freeforums.org/blissbox ... 08-30.html

I'll be trying this out for myself as soon as my bliss-box adapter arrives, hopefully next week, but it would be great if I would be able to use puNES for emulation!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Does the Blissbox sample the light sensor rapidly enough to follow the cursor in Zap Ruder? Or is it limited to just seeing on and off for one frame?
sndwv

Post by sndwv »

tepples wrote:Does the Blissbox sample the light sensor rapidly enough to follow the cursor in Zap Ruder?
I will let you know as soon as I'm able to try it out. Coincidentally I just received the adapter, but now the modified emulators are giving me troubles (by not working under WinXP, which I am stuck with for the moment). Hopefully the developer will be able to help (or puNES will add support :wink: ) or I will need to get something with W7x64 that hooks up to a TV...
suspendedhatch

Post by suspendedhatch »

shertz wrote:Sorry for the noob question. Whats the difference between SDL and d3d9? Is there a better choice?
I have the same question. Sometimes I wonder if the only people that use emulators are "power users".
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

SDL and DirectX ("direct3d version 9") are both sets of routines that make it easier for the programmer to do graphical things.

puNES supports both because one or the other may work better or worse on any given graphics card, or any given version of windows.
suspendedhatch

Post by suspendedhatch »

Thank you for the reply.
So if both work on my system, is there any advantage to one over the other?
Thanks.