puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

FHorse

Version 0.98

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
0.98 (Bugfix release)
- Windows: fixed a bug (introduced in the rewriting of the audio subsystem of version 0.97) that did not allow the correct synchronization between threads distorting the sound after a few minutes of use.
- fixed a typo in the config file configuration for the "panning" option.
- converted to autotools build system.
- from now puNES is an open-source project (https://github.com/punesemu/puNES). Among the links now there will always be the source tarball of the latest release. I will continue to release binaries for Linux versions even though I do not think will serve much longer. At compile time, you can specify whether you want to use the QT5 instead of QT4 passing the "--enable-qt5" to configure.
Black Zero

Re: puNES Emulator (ex Fnes)

Post by Black Zero »

Thank you FHorse for all your hard work, it works great now!
Nesd4

Re: Version 0.98

Post by Nesd4 »

FHorse wrote:Changelog:
0.98 (Bugfix release)
- Windows: fixed a bug (introduced in the rewriting of the audio subsystem of version 0.97) that did not allow the correct synchronization between threads distorting the sound after a few minutes of use.
- fixed a typo in the config file configuration for the "panning" option.
- converted to autotools build system.
- from now puNES is an open-source project (https://github.com/punesemu/puNES). Among the links now there will always be the source tarball of the latest release. I will continue to release binaries for Linux versions even though I do not think will serve much longer. At compile time, you can specify whether you want to use the QT5 instead of QT4 passing the "--enable-qt5" to configure.
It's great it is open source now but could comments be in English?
Samhain

Post by Samhain »

XBRZ has a 5x and 6x scaler. Is it possible to add these to puNES? Thanks again for this truly awesome emu!
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Hey, is it just me or do Xbox One gamepads not work with puNES? In the input menu I select the controller from the joystick ID pull down but the button configs don't seem to respond to my button presses.
Azeus

Post by Azeus »

uVSthem wrote:Hey, is it just me or do Xbox One gamepads not work with puNES? In the input menu I select the controller from the joystick ID pull down but the button configs don't seem to respond to my button presses.
Try one of these builds https://github.com/punesemu/puNES/issues/1
It's a Windows 10 driver bug.
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Yah! That did it. Now if there was a Fast Foward hold command that could be mapped to the gamepad instead of just a Fast Forward toggle command all my gamepad issues would be gone. Is there anyway to hide that text screen that pops up when I open the emulator or do I need to wait for a finish build to not see it?

Try one of these builds https://github.com/punesemu/puNES/issues/1
It's a Windows 10 driver bug.[/quote]
tepples

Post by tepples »

Better yet, once you get XInput stable, you could make analog rewind and fast forward with the LT and RT buttons.
ssj

Post by ssj »

Hi FHorse,

Thanks for the work you put into this emulator, would it be possible to allow the emulator window to be manually resized instead of only supporting fixed zoom levels? This is the main feature I'm missing so I can move from Nestopia into puNES, without this it's not possible to properly use RL bezels with puNES which is a major deal breaker for me.

Other than this and apart for some specific mappers support the emulator is looking pretty damn accurate.
Ramon Zarat

Post by Ramon Zarat »

Hi!

This is a fantastic emulator! Of all 176 NES emulators in my collection, Punes the one I like the most! Stable, recognize all my 6 joysticks without any conflict, very high accuracy, great sound, MMC5/VRC6-7/FME-7 extended audio chip compatible, support Famicom disk system, seamless/quick transition from windowed to full screen, no issue with my 3 LCD setup, etc! It also passes all the Bisqwit tests and all the Blargg tests, except "power_up_palette" from the PPU test: http://blargg.8bitalley.com/nes-tests/

The only demo I couldn't run properly so far is "After Dark": http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=15218 . Only VirtuaNES and Nintendulator runs it properly. Mapper 255 is also not supported it seems, but it's a minor issue as I believe this mapper is only used in multi games cartridge no one play, like the 115 in 1. Still, would be cool if it could be implemented! Also, I got a few ROM in .unf format instead of .nes and Punes can not load them. Could this be added, and if not, is there a utility to convert ROM from .unf to .nes?

The other thing I would like is to get sound from my back speakers on my 5.1 surround setup. As it is, I only hear sound from my 2 front speakers. My Realtek sound card support the "speaker fill' option to shift some of the front sound of a stereo source to the back to create a fake surround effect, but it doesn't seem to work with Punes. I have noticed with other emulator that it could be due to the backend/API with either Xaudio, direct sound or OpenAL giving different results. As I remember, Xaudio usually provide the best experience.

Thanks,
Ramon
thefox

Post by thefox »

Ramon Zarat wrote:The only demo I couldn't run properly so far is "After Dark": http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=15218 . Only VirtuaNES and Nintendulator runs it properly.
That demo is broken, it also doesn't run properly in NDX with memory randomization.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Ramon Zarat wrote:Mapper 255 is also not supported it seems.
This mapper is not documented on our wiki yet. Do you have information on it? What emulators implement it?
Ramon Zarat wrote:I got a few ROM in .unf format instead of .nes and Punes can not load them. Could this be added, and if not, is there a utility to convert ROM from .unf to .nes?
Some UNIF files can be converted to iNES (dunno if there's a utility) but there's a few UNIF ROMs that can't be converted yet, because their mappers are still undocumented. (thread) If you've got information to share about these ROMs or mappers I'm sure it would be welcome. (e.g. what games are they, and what emulators run them?)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Mapper 255 should probably be assumed to be incorrectly assigned for a bad dump, see the last time this came up: viewtopic.php?t=12647
Ramon Zarat

Post by Ramon Zarat »

thefox wrote:
Ramon Zarat wrote:The only demo I couldn't run properly so far is "After Dark": http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=15218 . Only VirtuaNES and Nintendulator runs it properly.
That demo is broken, it also doesn't run properly in NDX with memory randomization.
Is that right? That's strange because there is a file called "8bitpeoples_-_after_dark.nfo" that comes with the video of the demo ( ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/parties/2004/de ... 0_divx.zip ) where the author says this:

"Our 1st demo, released at Deadline Console in 2004. This demo uses gfx control extensions written by xik for the MCK sound driver. CODE by xik, GFX by nullsleep and xik, MUSIC by nullsleep and xik.

This demo was written to run on real hardware, it is not recommended for use with emulators, but if you must please use VirtuaNES. If you would like to run this on a real NES, use a mapper 0 cartridge ... LONG LIVE THE NES SCENE!"

From that, I can only assume the demo actually run correctly on real hardware. It's either that, or the author is lying. Strange! It would also mean both VirtuaNES and Nintendulator purposely implemented a weird hack to accommodate/run correctly a specific broken demo that presumably would not run properly on real hardware. That would be very strange too! Not only strange, but a first as I don't recall any other emulator taking into account broken software that would not even run on real hardware into their development/coding efforts.

Thanks for replying to my post,
Ramon
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

It crashes partway into the demo on my NES run from a PowerPak, seems to crash at the same point in puNES or FCEUX, though the music/sound produced up to that point was different on all three. thefox was suggesting that it's a memory initialization problem? It doens't mean that these emulators have a hack to accomodate this demo; there are a number of things (especially memory initialization) that are not consistent from NES to NES, so being undefined, emulators have taken different approaches to what's a sensible "default". This demo merely takes advantage of that arbitrary choice made in particular emulators.

This is not the only demo that claims it runs on hardware even though it doesn't. The RTC Y2K demo made a similar false claim.