It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: regarding mmc5 sound
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:37 am 

1: Other than Just Breed, which games actually use it ?
2: Do the envelopes and length counters get clocked by the APU frame sequencer ?
3: Because there's no sweep, does the sound not get silenced when the raw timer period is less than 8 ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:55 am 

From everynes.htm:

Used by Gun Sight (Laser Invasion), Uchuu Keibitai SDF, Bandit Kings (Suikoden), Castlevania 3, Nobunaga Sengoku (Nobunaga's Ambition 2), Nobunaga Bushou, Shin 4 Nin Uchi Mahjong, Ishin no Arashi, L'Empereur, Ganbare Goemon Gaiden (bugged hack?), Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2 (Sangokushi 2), Gemfire (Royal Blood), Uncharted Waters (Daikoukai Jidai), Aoki Ookami, Just Breed, Metal Slader Glory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:12 am 
Wrong. He wants to know the games that use MMC5 *sound*, not the mapper itself. I know Metal Slader (or Slash?) Glory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:42 am 

Just Breed, and Shin 4 Nin blahblah uses sound in their music, while Metal Slader Glory and Uchuu Kebatai SDF uses it only for sound effects.
Just Breed sometimes write a period of $1 to silent the channel, so the channel should be also silenced. Maybe an ultra-sound is present ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:08 pm 

At 1.79 MHz, any wave with fewer than about 81 clocks per cycle will be inaudible (above 22 kHz). If my calculation is right, a raw period of 4 or less will be above 22 kHz (4 results in timer period of 4*2+2=10, and wave period of 10*8=80).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:25 pm 
I can hear a 20KHz sine wave, and can kind of feel a 23KHz sine wave. ;b

A super-sonic sound may be considered inaudible if it's playing by itself, but interference with other channels can produce additional, barely audible tones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:33 pm 

The NES audio output includes some kind of low-pass filter (probably for the sake of the RF unit), so it seems heterodyning wouldn't occur anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:49 am 

Effectivly, a period of $1 would proabably be inaudible, but I'm not sure that programmers would have to do it if it's not proprely silenced... because any cat or dog sleeping in the same room where you're playing Just Breed will fastly wake up and become made to hear those horrible high-pitched tunes. I don't think that the programmers would really do it, but I can't guarantee it. If only I had the real JB cartridge, I could test it with my cat, hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:13 am 

I got it working (and by assuming answer 2 would be a yes). The only game I've seen using the 8 bit PCM channel is that mahjong game, just watch the demo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:33 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
because any cat or dog sleeping in the same room where you're playing Just Breed will fastly wake up and become made to hear those horrible high-pitched tunes.

Probably not. Anything over 20 kHz will get filtered out by the TV's speaker. It takes special tweeters to respond decently over 20 kHz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:39 am 

Actually, Metal Slader Glory uses the additional MMC5 channels in the opening credits theme, ending credits theme, and one or two other tracks.