Try my emulator!

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

graham

Try my emulator!

Post by graham »

Written in Javascript over a few weeks:
http://eigenbloom.com/projects/nes/nest ... ?version=1

So far Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, and SMB are playable (only SMB in the link)

To-do:
1. Make Excitebike work, there are some problems with scrolling and input
2. Sound. I'm only playing channel 2 right now, need to do mixing
3. Fix the sprite problems where they appear all over
4. Fully implement loopy's scrolling algo so the menu doesn't flicker
5. Speedhacks, skip idle loops and...
6. Do a mapper game
7. ???

The audio only works in Firefox
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Re: Try my emulator!

Post by 3gengames »

Broken in Chrome on Linux. I'll never touch firefox, I don't have enough spare RAM to let it leak everywhere.
ulfalizer

Post by ulfalizer »

Maybe you're already aware of it, but attributes seem a bit broken on Ubuntu with Chromium/Firefox at least.
Attachments
attrib.png
attrib.png (11.04 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

3gengames wrote:Broken in Chrome on Linux. I'll never touch firefox, I don't have enough spare RAM to let it leak everywhere.
1- If Firefox still leaked, it's not like quitting your web browser occasionally is going to hurt you.
2- But anyway, Mozilla has addressed ≈all the leaks you're complaining about.
3- Chrome usually uses more memory on my system. (I only have 768M)
3b- Using Firefox with AdBlockPlus and NoScript definitely reduces Firefox's memory footprint relative to Chrome's, because then it never loads, renders, caches, or compiles unwanted bits.

Anyway, yeah, I see the same weirdness that ulfalizer does; it looks like you're parsing the attribute byte weird?
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Chrome eats ALL RAM that is not reserved for the OS to speed it up. It can take only 64MB to run with a couple tabs, it's just slow and...well, slow. If you need RAM, then use it and chrome will throttle down. And I dunno what he addressed....I still won't use a terribly programmed browser, even if it in the top 3 used, and top 4 over all in compatability.

Still, I DID try it in firefox, same results as in chrome. How does it work on your computer? :o
ulfalizer

Post by ulfalizer »

3gengames wrote:Chrome eats ALL RAM that is not reserved for the OS to speed it up. It can take only 64MB to run with a couple tabs, it's just slow and...well, slow. If you need RAM, then use it and chrome will throttle down. And I dunno what he addressed....I still won't use a terribly programmed browser, even if it in the top 3 used, and top 4 over all in compatability.
Not sure how Chrome works in this regard, but unused RAM that could be put to use is in some sense wasted RAM. If it can throttle down its memory usage in response to memory running low (not sure if it does anything like that), then momentarily using more memory than the minimum it would need might not be as much of a problem either.

Chrome tends to perform very well for me.

Edit: Oh, thought you were complaining about Chrome. Never mind then... :P
tepples

Post by tepples »

Some developers have a mentality that unused memory is wasted memory, I know. But one issue that I've noticed with programs like that is that they make other programs take longer to start because by the time memory throttling kicks in, swapping or OOM killing has already begun. Worse, Chrome for Android has lost text entered into a form like this when discarding a page in low memory conditions.
graham

Post by graham »

/threadderailed

I'm confused, are you guys seeing memory leaks?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

No, we just got derailed.

It looks fine to me, other than whatever's going on with the attribute bytes.
org

Post by org »

Ugliest thing I ever seen..
snarfblam

Post by snarfblam »

I'm seeing the same attribute glitches on FF in Windows. Audio isn't even close to right (just some beeps and boops here and there). Also, runs painfully slowly, but that's probably a combination of my slow CPU, running in FF, and well.... javascript.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Something went horribly wrong, and while Mario continues to run, all joypad inputs just generate sprite garbage for a frame.

Also, once I have pressed an input, then released it, I am unable to press it a second time.