It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:51 pm 

Hi, when my emulator runs Super Mario Bros, the title screen draws in an odd way:

The game itself runs just fine -- looks perfect and no glitches that I can see:

I've been trying to solve this for a few hours with not much luck. It seems that the rendering of the title screen nametable is correct, but the big "SUPER MARIO BROS" tiles are not referenced in the nametable. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:54 pm 
Formerly 65024U

Dunno about why the sprite color is wrong, but SMB is elusive for storing the title screen data in the CHR-ROM, make sure $2007 reads work right is my best advice for now. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:00 pm 

Oh, nevermind the issue with the sprite palette. :) That's a separate bug that I'll deal with some other time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:40 pm 

CHR-ROM reads are delayed by 1 read. When the program reads $2007, it gets the contents of a buffer, and the actual byte read from CHR-ROM goes into this buffer, so it can be read the next time. This is true for all of the PPU memory, except for the palette RAM, which returns values immediately. If you're not emulating this correctly, SMB will not succeed in reading the data it needs in order to draw the title screen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:46 pm 

As far as I know, I am emulating that correctly. Here is my $2007 non-palette read:

Code:
byte OldBuffer = VRAMBuffer;

if (VRAMAddress >= 0x2000)
{
   bool NameTableZero = (VRAMAddress & (int)_Mirroring) == 0;
   VRAMBuffer = PPUMemory[(NameTableZero ? 0 : 0x0400) + (VRAMAddress & 0x03FF)];
}
else
   VRAMBuffer = _ReadCHRByte(VRAMAddress);

return OldBuffer;

_Mirroring is 0x0400 in the case of SMB (vertical mirroring). PPUMemory is 0x2000 - 0x27FF, but zero-indexed. Is there anything that looks wrong here?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:19 pm 

Wow, I wasn't incrementing the VRAM pointer after reads, only after writes. I can't believe it took me hours to figure that out :) Incidentally, it helps my sprite palette issues, too!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:08 pm 

That mushroom cursor isn't a sprite, so you never had any sprite palette issues to begin with :)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:35 pm 

I had the same problem with the title screen and the green mushroom, but the causes were totally different.
Actually I hadn't implemented reading the CHR memory, because I assumed hardly any (CHR-ROM) game would do that. I haven't implemented CHR-RAM yet.
So SMB reads the CHR-ROM for some reason I won't investigate too much now, but that was the problem, the data was never making it to the latch and never read.
This post made me review my $2007 code and I found it, so thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:01 pm 

SMB having to read CHR-ROM to display the title screen is actually a well-known issue of the game(see tokumaru and 3gengames' replies). It's because they ran out of space in the PRG area so part of the name table data of the title logo was stored in the CHR area.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:34 am 

Gilbert wrote:
SMB having to read CHR-ROM to display the title screen is actually a well-known issue of the game(see tokumaru and 3gengames' replies). It's because they ran out of space in the PRG area so part of the name table data of the title logo was stored in the CHR area.

Yes, I just read it on the wiki article Tricky to emulate games after I solved it. Shame on me. And I remember reading it a couple of times before. The thing is I never cared for it because it was only an aesthetic problem that didn't crash or hurt gameplay, so I went on to more critical issues.