Forehead Block Guy

Moderator: Moderators

NovaSquirrel

Forehead Block Guy

Post by NovaSquirrel »

After several attempts at creating an NES game (each of which were way too ambitious and never got finished) I decided to try making a simple, NROM single-screen platformer instead. Originally, it was just going to be a port of the Atari 2600 game "Fast Eddie" to the NES but then later became its own game partly because I've already ported Fast Eddie before. Now my game's pretty much done...

My game plays a bit like Mario Bros, except that to attack enemies you hit them with a block ( thrown with B ) to stun them, and you can make your own levels.

Current archive containing the game and source
qbradq

Post by qbradq »

Wow, that's great! That's awesome that it's got an edit mode too :D

One bug I noticed, if I am standing right next to a step on Level 2 I can't jump.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

qbradq wrote: One bug I noticed, if I am standing right next to a step on Level 2 I can't jump.
Yeah, if I hold any direction and jump, I go into a blockand get somewhat stuck. Fun though! Glad to see the progress on this. :D
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

qbradq wrote: One bug I noticed, if I am standing right next to a step on Level 2 I can't jump.
3gengames wrote: Yeah, if I hold any direction and jump, I go into a blockand get somewhat stuck. Fun though! Glad to see the progress on this. :D
The code for detecting when the player is touching a block isn't very good. I wanted it so the blocks would be treated a certain way ( you'd be able to jump through them somewhat without being stopped, but act solid in other circumstances like trying to walk through them horizontally ) but this in combination with the poorly written code for stopping the player from moving left and right through walls meant you'd wouldn't be able to move left and right while jumping through a platform.

As a nifty side effect you can latch onto a block from the side and press the opposite direction you're facing to kick off the block. Maybe I can rework the way collision with the blocks work without getting rid of this neat effect?

The player/enemy and block/enemy collision isn't very well written either, and you often have to touch the left side of the enemy to have the collision trigger. ( This happens on my TI-83+ game too, since I pretty much reused the way collision works )

Aside from fixing these bugs, eventually I want to add music ( if I can find a tiny music engine to fit in the ~6kb I have left along with other things I want to add) and a 2-player mode.