RHDE

Moderator: Moderators

Hamtaro126

Re: RHDE

Post by Hamtaro126 »

A game like this is a good concept, I'd consider this a Apartment Construction and Vandalism Simulator, a step up from SimCity despite being a small space for a large building in comparision to SimCity!

Also, Compared to SimCity clones, Most of the stuff here is mostly interesting, especially on NES!
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

I played around with it for a bit.

I think the patterns

Code: Select all

R__R
_RR_
and

Code: Select all

R___
__R_
both feel like nice compromises between busyness and visibility of both rovers and furniture. On the other hand, the 3/4 red pattern is too red to show the rovers.
Attachments
rhde_furni_bkgds.png
rhde_furni_bkgds.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 21828 times
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Some dithering patterns look completely different once they go through the PPU's NTSC encoding, so you really gotta test with that before deciding which one gives better visibility. Unless you don't care about that and assume that everyone will be playing this on emulators or consoles modded for RGB.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

tokumaru wrote:Some dithering patterns look completely different once they go through the PPU's NTSC encoding, so you really gotta test with that before deciding which one gives better visibility.
Any spatial features that are significantly below half of the colorburst frequency aren't going to be significantly harmed by NTSC; I deliberately paid attention to that for these patterns.
But, fine, here's blargg's nes_ntsc standalone converter output, set to composite, low sharpness and gamma:
Attachments
filtered.jpg
filtered.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 21779 times
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Well, I see some very obvious diagonal lines that aren't present in the unfiltered image... I'd call that a significant difference. That being said, the diagonal lines actually make things look better! They prevent the floor from blending with the objects too much. The top one is the best IMO, because the more black you have on the floor the more it blends with the objects.
tepples

Post by tepples »

tokumaru wrote:The top one is the best IMO, because the more black you have on the floor the more it blends with the objects.
And the more red you have on the floor the more it blends with the rovers. I'm going with the one in the middle for now. Thanks lidnariq.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Video of work in progress
(to play webm, use VLC, Firefox, or Chrome)
tepples

Post by tepples »

Send me a PM if you like Rampart or The Sims or Animal Crossing and you want to help test.
Denine

Post by Denine »

It is in testing phase? That's great, the concept is unlike anything I played, looking forward it.
...Guess I know how's going to take first place in nesdev compo.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

I'd love to help out, but I'm WAY too busy!
tepples

Post by tepples »

It got second.
Try it
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Random thoughts:

The game throws you right in, without any particular idea what's going on.
It wasn't immediately obvious to me (I can't read, I guess) that the online help was only available from the title screen.
The first time I played I had no idea that the rocket launcher item did anything at all
It wasn't obvious when I was trying to get through my opponent's doors that I had to blow things up first.
Does the bat do anything?
It's possible to place walls such that there's no place to put the rocket launcher ... but maybe you deserve what you get, then.
Is there any game over condition?

Something resembling waypoints for the roamers would be nice, especially given how easy it is to make awkward walls.

A one-player "test" mode might be nice, as a pseudo-tutorial. Or maybe a real tutorial, or a slideshow, or an attract mode.
tepples

Post by tepples »

And now we start polishing this turd for the multicart.
lidnariq wrote:The game throws you right in, without any particular idea what's going on.
So the short description of each phase isn't enough, I take it.
lidnariq wrote:It wasn't immediately obvious to me (I can't read, I guess) that the online help was only available from the title screen.
Should I make it so that either player can pause the game and view this mode's help? That'd be possible (as the screen can always be redrawn from scratch in my rendering architecture) but time-consuming.
The first time I played I had no idea that the rocket launcher item did anything at all
And now you know why Navi was all up in your "Hey! Listen!" during Ocarina of Time.
It wasn't obvious when I was trying to get through my opponent's doors that I had to blow things up first.
Does the bat do anything?
The bat was supposed to be to break down doors and fences and to take away one third of an opponent's unit's HP, causing the unit to faint. I didn't finish it in time.
Is there any game over condition?
Nova and I debated that. After playing the compo version for a while, I plan to make the player with the most points after each furnish phase the winner of that round. And then after seven rounds, the player who won the most rounds wins.
Something resembling waypoints for the roamers would be nice, especially given how easy it is to make awkward walls.
Any idea how to do this without taking huge amounts of time and memory for full PC RTS style pathing? The idea was supposed to be that you'd move onto one doorway and switch to the other unit until he gets there.
A one-player "test" mode might be nice, as a pseudo-tutorial. Or maybe a real tutorial, or a slideshow, or an attract mode.
So long as it doesn't go this far. But suggestions of how to design a single-player sandbox/training mode are welcome. I have plenty of video memory left during the battle and build phases, not quite as much during furnish.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

I think in the case when both players can not do anything during the vandalism round, it should skip instead of everyone waiting for it to time out.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I was very confused and couldn't do much during the 3 minutes I had to play the game yesterday. I don't like reading manuals, so I didn't come anywhere close to memorizing all the instructions given in the intro screens. You shouldn't have to study before playing a game, that's boring. Then again, this game is somewhat more complex than any "pick up and play" games I can think of, so I'm not sure what the best approach to teach the player about your game would be. I'll give this a try again later, but I really dislike having to master all the controls for my very first time playing it just so I can do anything at all in the 30 seconds I have to buy/place furniture.