2014 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: 2014 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Post by tepples »

NovaSquirrel said it might have had something to do with executable blocking. If your entry includes source code, and your build process uses a batch file or shell script (as opposed to a makefile), or it includes executables that convert data or create lookup tables (as opposed to source code or a converter written in a scripting language), filters might block it as a potential malware vector.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

WhatULive4 wrote:You could do that if you'd like. I will post whatever is submitted to the website so there is a consolidated location to download the competition entries. You can submit a newer version whenever you would like and I will replace it on the website.
Ok, I think I'll let you post what I submitted, with the option of replacing the compo website copy with the finished multi-cart version. I'll also make a thread to be a progress log and area for comments.
tepples wrote:NovaSquirrel said it might have had something to do with executable blocking.
I had a blocking error when I accidentally included a compiled windows binary of asm6. :oops:
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

43110 wrote: I had a blocking error when I accidentally included a compiled windows binary of asm6. :oops:
That would explain it. I hope gmails blocking doesn't cause any other problems...
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Thanks again to everyone for the submissions. I believe we have 6 Entries in Category 1, and 4 Entries in category 2. As well as a few in category 3. I think everyone could have benefited from extending the contest another month, but I'm going to take this as a lesson learned. I'll have the voting ready either tonight or tomorrow so if you submitted an entry be sure to check your email. The website will also get updated with screenshots and downloads like the 2011 page. Open voting on the category 2 entries will start on the 7th and run for 3 weeks.

Any questions, let me know.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Sorry guys, delay of game. My 2yr old broke his collarbone, which ate up most of my free time today.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Man, that's rough. I hope it's not too serious and all will be fine.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

It will be fine, it was just pretty traumatic for him and my wife haha.
Denine

Post by Denine »

Sorry to hear that, hope your son recovers soon.
Any questions, let me know.
It is just a possibility, but it is possible I'll submit a third game, in category 3.
If that happens, then there will be a total of 80kb of my games (32kb+32kb+16kb) to be included for the action 53.(If all games gets accepted)

All games uses same graphics for logo, font, same music\sprite engine etc. I think it would be possible for me to make a single 64kb ROM out of three games to save some space.

But then, how player should make a choice which game he wants to play? I can make a game select menu inside my own ROM, but it could be a bit tedious for player to have two game menus...

Maybe iI still could have 3 entries in action53, every entry would point to my ROM. I examined Action53 ROM and I see it does not clear RAM after game selection, selected game do it. I can use the game selected number from RAM before my routine clears it to determine which of my games was choosen.

How plausible this idea is?

Aaannd...how much there is (approximately) to submit a game in 3rd category?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Denine wrote:All games uses same graphics for logo, font, same music\sprite engine etc. I think it would be possible for me to make a single 64kb ROM out of three games to save some space.

But then, how player should make a choice which game he wants to play? I can make a game select menu inside my own ROM, but it could be a bit tedious for player to have two game menus...
Just give each activity its own entry point. That's how Axe, MineShaft, Zapper Calibration, and ZapPing in the first multicart work: they're all part of one CNROM image, and the menu software chooses an initial value for the program counter based on the chosen activity. Other sets of things bundled into one 32K bank include Concentration Room/NES15/Russian Roulette, Lawn Mower/Thwaite, LAN Master/Munchie Attack, and Slappin'/FHBG.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Ok, I swear I made a voting thread for category 2.... I guess I'll make another one.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Bump for website update.