2014 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Moderator: Moderators

JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Re: 2014 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Post by JRoatch »

For the past month I had switch from programing for the main category to instead an app entry.

Just a few days ago I was about to give up, but then I saw that there's only 8 registered contestants, and it would be at least a 20% dropout rate if I were to fail. So I'm now aiming for implementing only 1 or 2 modes out of the planned 8. After the compo, I hope I can then finish the other 6 by the time the final multi-cart ROM is assembled.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Well I know everyone has it's own philosophy, but I'm reluctant to release an unfinished game. I don't want to spoil the surprise before the finished game. I could make up a demo with only a (finished) level playable, but then it'd be quite weak compared to finished games.
freem

Post by freem »

Suddenly I don't feel so bad for dropping a number of things (e.g. Attract Mode screens) out of my Category A entry. Not sure if I'll be able to get 4-player working in time, though. :s
Punch

Post by Punch »

Is it possible to submit the game in cat 1/2 to be judged but to give a better version later for the multicart? There are several features that I won't be able to fit in before april 1st (level editor, challenge, etc.) but I would like to include them in a separated "multicart build".
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
tepples

Post-compo updates last time

Post by tepples »

Punch wrote:Is it possible to submit the game in cat 1/2 to be judged but to give a better version later for the multicart?
It appears yes, seeing as that's what happened with Thwaite. I submitted one version, but the multicart used a later version with mouse support, improved music, practice mode, and tweaks to late game balance. NovaSquirrel also submitted some fixes to FHBG for the multicart. My entry for this year will probably get a big post-compo update too.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Maybe 3 months wasn't long enough? This will be something to consider for upcoming competitions. The 2011 competition was extended another month because there were hardly any submissions, and it wouldn't be fair to do it this time around.

I would encourage people to submit things in any state for judging (even if you just want to submit a demo). Like Tepples said, although we can only judge you on what was submitted by the closing date, any improvements and bugfixes can and will gladly be put on the multi-cart.
Punch

Post by Punch »

In my opinion extending the compo for another month is reasonable, since I'm not seeing too many projects being publicized (of course some won't spoil the surprise but still), dropped projects is the worst thing that could happen to the competition.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

I can only recall 2 of the previous entries that were posted before being submitted in the 2011 contest. None of the people who have registered (I believe) have created any threads either. I haven't received any submissions yet, and that does worry me a bit.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Oops, forgot to send the reg mail for my entry.
[goes to Gmail]
Done.
Punch

Post by Punch »

It's the final countdown :o

I need to learn to focus more on one concept. If I can make my game to category 1 it will be a miracle given the short development time of my project. Realistically I might make it into Category 3 because there really isn't much time left. If only I had the focus I'm having now at the start of the competition.

Good luck to everyone! :beer:
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

ok, I'm out of time.
I've submitted what I have to Category 3.

Good luck to all.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

43110 wrote:ok, I'm out of time.
I've submitted what I have to Category 3.

Good luck to all.
Don't forget that Category 3 doesn't have a deadline, so everyone is free to keep working on their projects.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Would it be advisable to instead post the work in progress in a thread, and then submit it when it's done?
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

43110 wrote:Would it be advisable to instead post the work in progress in a thread, and then submit it when it's done?
You could do that if you'd like. I will post whatever is submitted to the website so there is a consolidated location to download the competition entries. You can submit a newer version whenever you would like and I will replace it on the website. Either that or I can add a link to your thread here instead of hosting the file on the nesdevcompo site, as long as you use the forums built in attachment feature and not link to an external website. I don't want to deal with broken links in the future.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

FYI, if you have sent me an email and I have not responded please let me know via pm. I reply to every email I get, and it has been brough to my attention that someones email did not go through to the neshomebrew@gmail.com address. It didn't even show up in my spam folder. Thanks guys!