NESDev Compo 2014 Judging

Moderator: Moderators

NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

NESDev Compo 2014 Judging

Post by NESHomebrew »

I will have the website updated in the near future, for the time being I might as well release the Category 2 entries for judging.

The way this works, is simply rank the entries as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The judging will run from April 7th to April 28th.

No editing of posts is allowed (you will be disqualified from the voting). You may make your decision on any criteria you wish. If you do not wish to vote publicly, you can send me your vote via PM.

Here is a link to the Category 2 entries: http://nesdevcompo.nintendoage.com/file ... gory_2.zip

Edit (koitsu): fixed typo in Subject ("Juding" -> "Judging")
NovaSquirrel

Re: NESDev Compo 2014 Judging

Post by NovaSquirrel »

Does this mean everyone will win a SNES mouse since there's only three entries (which would be awesome)? I was expecting a lot more, or I would have made a lot more stuff.

Anyway, assuming that people who have entered something can vote:
1st: Sound effect tester
2nd: Theremin
3rd: PCB artist
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Re: NESDev Compo 2014 Juding

Post by NESHomebrew »

I think the 3 month time span was a bit short. I'm expect there will be a lot more app submissions before the cart is actually released.

Technically yes, everyone should get a SNES mouse with adapter, but InfiniteNESLives is the one making them, and he was one of the entrants in this category :)
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Re: NESDev Compo 2014 Juding - we need your votes!

Post by NESHomebrew »

Alright guys... 1 week to go. Any more votes?
thefox

Post by thefox »

Damn, I forgot all about this. My votes and some random comments about each one:

1st: NES PCB Artist
- Says INFITIE NES LIVES on the boot screen :)
- Clearly the most interesting out of the entries
- Controls/usability could use some work, placing traces felt "stiff"

2nd: Sound effect tester
- Shows garbage on boot, but seems to recover from it

3rd: Theremin
- Fails to initialize CHR-RAM
- Should've put controls in blurb.txt even if they're in the ROM
- I couldn't test with mouse because FCEUX crashed on me when I tried to enable mouse input in it (I assume FCEUX's mouse input option is for the SNES mouse)
WhatULive4 wrote:I think the 3 month time span was a bit short. I'm expect there will be a lot more app submissions before the cart is actually released.
Yeah it was probably too short. We briefly talked with INL about this some weeks ago. Might be better to make the compo a year-round thing. Could be kind of fun actually to do a sort of round-up at the end of the year.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

My 3-judge panel came up with comments for all the category 1 and 2 entries. Because two of us entered things, I'm sort of reluctant to assign numeric scores or rankings, but I can PM our comments if that will help.
vuehbwhq

Post by vuehbwhq »

thefox wrote:2nd: Sound effect tester
- Shows garbage on boot, but seems to recover from it
That's because the code adjusts the scrolling regs and horizontal mirroring is set in the header and the first tile shows a zero. Can be 'fixed' by using vertical mirroring or using a solid block as first tile. It lasts for just one frame anyway, so isn't that serious.

:arrow: Spoiler.gif

BTW nice demos! Too bad FCEUX mouse emulation doesn't work at all...
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

thefox wrote:Theremin [...]
- I couldn't test with mouse because FCEUX crashed on me when I tried to enable mouse input in it (I assume FCEUX's mouse input option is for the SNES mouse)
When I tried to use FCEUX's mouse option with Theremin, it also crashed for me.

I looked at FCEUX's mouse.cpp. I didn't understand it very deeply, but it I think it's using the Subor mouse "single-byte packet".

Subor mouse protocol from Nocash NES Specs (scroll down a little to get to the Subor mouse)
SNES mouse protocol from Nesdev Wiki
tepples

Re: NESDev Compo 2014 Judging

Post by tepples »

If you want to emulate NES homebrew that supports the Super NES Mouse, such as Thwaite, Theremin, or one of the entries, you'll probably have to find a Windows PC and test in Nintendulator.