Results and Downloads posted [2014 Compo] / Double Action 53

Moderator: Moderators

thefox

Re: Results and Downloads posted [2014 Compo]

Post by thefox »

tepples wrote:
thefox wrote:Is this a thinly veiled attempt at promoting your own
It wasn't intended as such. If I need to stop accidentally promoting things, I can leave for two weeks.
I doubt leaving for two weeks (or any amount of weeks) does anything useful. :)

I didn't intend to offend with my post, but your post simply struck me as bit odd. I mean you could have worded the same thing in a much less cryptic way. What was the point of the post, anyways? That extra WRAM should be included in the cartridge?
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

The point of the post is that I'm interested in hearing about what sort of techniques you might recommend to work with a document larger than 1280 bytes. I'm aware of the log-structured file system concept, but I was under the impression that that was intended more for occasionally saving individual documents than for using flash as essentially a swap file during an operation that might modify most of a large document. Should one expect to have to design an application around keeping the working copy in video memory, then reading back from video memory all the time, like in Videomation?

I'm just not entirely certain that retrofitting Chase to allow its graphics to be edited is feasible by July 1. Feel free to prove me wrong however.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Even if I had done another two-week withdrawal stunt, it would have mattered little because I haven't seen any more cat3 entries in 12 days. If we want to fill the space, we may need to extend the deadline. Here's the map that my builder printed, showing five unused banks:

Bank 0: Function, 2048
Bank 1: Auge, Sliding Blaster
Bank 2: Chase, Snail Maze Game
Bank 3: DABG
Bank 4: Love Story
Bank 5: MilioNESy
Bank 6: 8K entries
Bank 7: RHDE
Bank 8: Sir Ababol
Bank 9: Sgt. Helmet - Training Day
Bank 15: Menu

And I'm feeling more and more hesitant to keep Snail Maze Game on the cart. Its music and maps are identical to those of the Sega Master System BIOS.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

My 64x32 grid Conway's Life simulator takes about 6.7kb currently and I think it would be a nice addition to the cart if I fix it up a little. I could fill up a 16kb half-bank with it, the sound effects editor and some other apps and toys that I would have written if I didn't know just how few apps there would be.
tepples

Post by tepples »

NovaSquirrel wrote:I could fill up a 16kb half-bank with [a bunch of] apps and toys
That'd be great. I'll have to ask Tom to relocate Theremin to $C000 and cooperate with PCB Artist's NMI redirection.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Not sure what the status of everything is, but USER on nintendoage has submitted an entry he would like to be considered for inclusion. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messagevie ... did=129587
tepples

Post by tepples »

NESHomebrew wrote:USER on nintendoage has submitted an entry he would like to be considered for inclusion.
Downloaded it, seems worthy, checked effective size in hex editor, requested source code for relocation into another game's unused space.

I also sent a PM to Tom about relocating Theremin to $C000 now that Nova is moving SFX Editor to his own submulti. But if INL wants to relocate PCB Artist to $C000 instead, that's fine too.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

tepples wrote: But if INL wants to relocate PCB Artist to $C000 instead, that's fine too.
sounds easy enough.
Attachments
pcb_artist_RELEASE_cat2_C000.nes
(32.02 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
tepples

Post by tepples »

Thanks. Now I've made a tool for semi-automatically combining 8K games into a 16K bank, based on my old tool for combining 16K games into a 32K bank that I wrote back when Action 53 was BNROM-based. I used this to make a Theremin/PCB Artist submulti, and it appears to be working correctly.

Now the release is waiting on these:
  • Nova is working on Conway's Life and a FALSE interpreter.
  • USER sent source for The 1007 Bolts to NESHomebrew's email. It apparently uses some "alien" assembler syntax for which I plan to build a translator to ca65 the way I did for NESASM syntax when squeezing Munchie Attack into holes in LAN Master
  • Something else to fill about 4 more banks...?
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

I'd also like to finish Sliding Blaster (3 levels to go and a simple boss battle), which I put off to get more ideas while I work on the apps. FALSE shouldn't take very long to do since the editor is mostly done and the interpreter should be very easy to write.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

Unless it's important that each multicart has a unique set of games, I don't see why some games or tools from volume 1 couldn't be included on volume 2 as well to fill the rest of the space, decided by a vote or whatever else.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I can sort of see where you're coming from given the returning minigames in each Mario Party. But if we ship a bunch of reruns, we might end up having to do more than the four volumes that I had planned in order to reach 53 quality games in a package that people are willing to pay $53 for. On the other hand, I guess I should plan for some games to get bigger during the remix compo. For example, RHDE will likely become a 48K to 64K game, and my artist is definitely going to give Concentration Room an overhaul to bring it up to at least 32K.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

More games would likely take weeks to months to complete, and it would be nice to get the cart released sometime during the summer like originally planned.
Games from volume 1 could possibly be given new levels or graphics or tweaked a bit in minor ways that wouldn't justify a remix compo version. I could definitely come up with some fun changes for Thwaite having messed with the code already for my first hack of it.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I see your point. If you can think of any worthwhile hacks of games from volume 1, I'd be willing to make a "hacks" category. (No p○n○s plz though.)

In any case, today I made a tool to translate user's "alien" dialect of 6502 assembly into a ca65-compatible dialect, and it builds and runs fine.
Attachments
bolt.zip
Source code for The 1007 Bolts, an NES game by "user" of NintendoAge
with translator into ca65
(5.37 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

It would be quite easy to build Driar with another 38ish levels, but level design's really the hard part.