Tom

Love Story

Post by Tom »

Love Story is my entry to the 2014 contest, which took first place:
LoveStory-Intro.png
LoveStory-Intro.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 23909 times
LoveStory-Gameplay.png
LoveStory-Gameplay.png (2.71 KiB) Viewed 23909 times
Anyways, I'm looking for any bug reports or other feedback for things to fix before the cart release.
Attachments
LoveStory.nes
(32.02 KiB) Downloaded 899 times
-Tom
tepples

Re: Love Story

Post by tepples »

From the comments that I never got around to translating into numeric scores:

<Ryan> Male character looks like Jason from Friday the 13th
<Ryan> I don't like the two hit kill (referring to the fact that early enemies aren't killed with one swipe)
<Pino> The screen with just a couple ice blocks over spikes is too hard for first level
<Pino> Music has some notes in wrong octave
<Pino> Platformer has promise, but right now, hits are too cheap
DrDementia

Post by DrDementia »

nice job on the game. pretty challenging but short.
<Ryan> I don't like the two hit kill (referring to the fact that early enemies aren't killed with one swipe)
I agree. Maybe you could have an easy and hard difficulty and adjust the hitpoints for each. I think it would be more fun and rewarding to kill those snails with one hit.

or adjust the hitpoints according to which character was picked. Like the guy can swing the sword harder or better.

Last idea maybe some dialogue in the beginning to tell a little story.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

I'm fine with the number of hits for the baddies, but I could see the invincibility period shortened. Enough so the a snail can be killed before it reaches the edge (in the screen with three snails between fire).

Also not that this is a bug but I find it odd/interesting that ice has lower friction then air, that is the only safe way to stop on ice is to jump. Actually I do wonder why some fractional movement values can't be fully canceled by jumping in the air.
Tom

Post by Tom »

tepples wrote:<Pino> The screen with just a couple ice blocks over spikes is too hard for first level
The screens are randomized. I thought about ranking the difficulty of the screens and biasing the randomization so the easier screens were more likely show up earlier, but it didn't happen.
tepples wrote:<Pino> Music has some notes in wrong octave
Is this when the music distorts between levels? I've fixed that. If it something else, can you give some more details?
43110 wrote:Also not that this is a bug but I find it odd/interesting that ice has lower friction then air, that is the only safe way to stop on ice is to jump.
I did try at one point maintaining momentum in the air, but it was even more awkward.
43110 wrote:Actually I do wonder why some fractional movement values can't be fully canceled by jumping in the air.
I hadn't noticed that. Fixed now!
-Tom
tepples

Post by tepples »

Tom wrote:
tepples wrote:<Pino> Music has some notes in wrong octave
Is this when the music distorts between levels? I've fixed that. If it something else, can you give some more details?
I isolated Pulse 1, and I hear weird jumps up and down an octave in the melody throughout, even from the first five notes. Is this on purpose?
Attachments
lovestorybug.ogg
(369.56 KiB) Downloaded 682 times
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I think the difficulty is OK considering it's only one level.
Graphics are a bit too simplistic though. Especially the main characters looks too generic.

Overall it's a nice little game that kind of reminded me of Dragon Buster at first (although the game-play is a bit different).
Tom

Post by Tom »

tepples wrote:I isolated Pulse 1, and I hear weird jumps up and down an octave in the melody throughout, even from the first five notes. Is this on purpose?
No, you're right. I messed up the transcription. :oops: Here's an updated version, does it sound better?
Attachments
LoveStory.nsfe
(2.74 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
-Tom
tepples

Post by tepples »

FCEUX doesn't play NSFE, but Mednafen does. It's a definite improvement.

I'll have to compare it against the reference ("Fugue 16" from The Well-Tempered Clavier by J.S. Bach; video; LilyPond source, PDF, and MIDI; recording by Fabiomassimo Castelluzzo) when I get more time.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Oh, weird, I did a VRC6 version of that same tune a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh5razoNPqM
Punch

Post by Punch »

This game is boss. It's a bit too much on the unfairly hard side though.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
chromableedstudios

Post by chromableedstudios »

Lots of fun from what I've seen, although megaman hard. I don't think I got far enough to find any bugs....

Did you follow one of the tutorials around here for your gravity/collisions by chance?
Tom

Post by Tom »

chromableedstudios wrote:Did you follow one of the tutorials around here for your gravity/collisions by chance?
I did not, but I took a pretty standard approach, so I wouldn't be surprised if what I did was very similar to some of the tutorials. If you have any specific questions about how I did things, I'd be happy to answer them.
-Tom