Post by darryl.revok »

Kasumi wrote:I wouldn't be so sure. 8-)
Uh oh you're in this too?! :?: Awesome! :!:

Now the game is really afoot!

*bows before the duel* :lol:
Punch

Re: NesDev compo 2016

Post by Punch »

So can we start doing our games right now or do we have to wait for the start date?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Punch wrote:So can we start doing our games right now or do we have to wait for the start date?
Can anyone prove when they did or didn't start a project? There's no way to enforce this, so that would be a pointless rule.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Punch wrote:So can we start doing our games right now or do we have to wait for the start date?
Feel free to start now (or in the past). tokumaru's right there isn't a means to enforce it, nor do we have interest in enforcing any such rule. Only thing we don't want submitted is a game has already been included in an Action53 volume which doesn't have significant expansion/improvement. Something like a sequel to a previous submission that reused large amounts of code would be more than welcome IMO.

Sounds like we've got enough input on the details now to start drafting things up.

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been specifically covered is the cash prize amounts. From what I gather the cash prize really isn't a significant motive for most people who have chimed in. There is a preference towards prizes for all which I agree probably will do a better job of attracting entries.

2011 Cash prizes totalled $175 ($100-first, $50-second, $25-third)
2014 Cash prizes totalled $850 ($500-first, $250-second, $100-third)

Thinking something between those two is will be a good plan this time around.

2016 Proposed cash prizes total $480 ($250-first $150-second $80-third), please chime in with any input on these numbers so we can make the final decision soon.

Again if contestants are more interested in cash than their limited edition contributor's cart they are free to resell it.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

I'm doing this for the cart, so anything you decide is perfectly fine :)
nicklausw

Post by nicklausw »

I'd like to get in on this action. Have set up a basic dev environment for the NES with UNROM (think I already said all this so this is just old news), now to get to making a game...welp.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

If I can keep this pace up over the summer, I think I'll have a good game or two ready.

The cartridge should be embraced as a good means of exposure as well. The last one got played by the Cinemassacre guys, and they get lots of views.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

I was thinking. People send them these games to play online and somebody sent them Action 53. Maybe next time an official "care package" with the T-shirt and stuff might be nice? Exposure at launch > exposure years later. Don't get me wrong, they just started airing homebrew games relatively recently, and it's cool that they did at all. Now that they are though, I'd think some love from the leading edge of NES development could be fitting.
pubby

Post by pubby »

infiniteneslives wrote: 2016 Proposed cash prizes total $480 ($250-first $150-second $80-third), please chime in with any input on these numbers so we can make the final decision soon.
$250? That's $6 away from a nice round number! :P
Punch

Post by Punch »

Prizes should be $256, $128, $64.
:lol:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

pubby wrote:$250? That's $6 away from a nice round number! :P
You mean square number? :wink:
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Punch wrote:Prizes should be $256, $128, $64.
:lol:
I like this idea.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Now that would be nice :D
calima

Post by calima »

When can we expect the rules to be decided?
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

calima wrote:When can we expect the rules to be decided?
I think for now you can base it off the existing rules from the past compo with 2 categories. NROM and Anything Goes. I think that has been the consensus, at least I haven't heard otherwise. A few other suggestions regarding themes and stuff have been thrown around but I don't know if that is something everyone would like. I'll set up a poll.