It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:24 pm 

Back at the 2nd half of 2014, when I still browsed NintendoAge's homebrew section regularly, I was planning to do a two-player vs. breakout thingy. Well, doing art assets and a very bare bones ROM was the most I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RpW_Bacq1s

Now, in 2016, for the NesDev compo, I want to actually finish the game and realize my vision ( :lol: ), so stay tuned to this thread! I'll post development updates here. Right now I don't have anything to show but I will as soon as I figure out a decent NES development pipeline for Arch Linux.

Last edited by Punch on Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:04 pm 

Good luck on your entry!

I don't know if anybody else will think the same, but I can't help but being reminded of this:

Hans Brix? Ah, no!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:58 am 

:lol:
Thanks!

Here are some assets I've recovered so far from my old backups:

Title Screen

Early title screen? I honestly don't remember.

"Playfield" nametable.

BG Character ROM

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:41 pm 

If it helps, you can look at the structure of my project, for which the development has all happened under Linux so far:

https://github.com/mikejmoffitt/6502jam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:53 pm 

I'm progressing at a snail's pace but that's due to university + laziness. :lol:

I finally crossed the hurdle of writing an Object manager with Animation support... looking back I don't know what I was thinking with writing overly complicated routines which were flawed by design. The end result is so simple that I feel ashamed looking at older code... I guess that's how practical experience works :lol:

I just need to implement Axis Aligned Bounding Box collision and I'm set to actually work on the game. Wish me luck. :beer:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:53 pm 

Well this is looking like a game already!

My title screen is basically done. There's a good amount of code left to be written but I think I did the harder parts already.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:56 pm 

That title screen and its animation looks both cool and cute at the same time. For some reason it reminds me of Battle City for the Famicom.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:44 pm 

koitsu wrote:
That title screen and its animation looks both cool and cute at the same time. For some reason it reminds me of Battle City for the Famicom.

I'm glad you liked, thanks! Battle City if I recall correctly draws the title with brick tiles too, right? I can see the similarities.

I implemented a reliable state machine, now I can schedule PPU writes and time stuff. This will mainly be used for the non interactive parts of the game, like drawing the title screen, high score board, maybe some "cutscenes" too if I get around to it before february.

Now I just need to do opcodes to transition between game states... and actually program the game itself. I also need to stop being lazy and sync nametable writes with its attributes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:25 pm 

If you want to add a cool demo element to it, you could wait a short amount of time (~15 seconds?), then allow a ball sprite to start to knock away bricks from the title.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 am 

mikejmoffitt wrote:
If you want to add a cool demo element to it, you could wait a short amount of time (~15 seconds?), then allow a ball sprite to start to knock away bricks from the title.

I was going to fill the screen with tiles in a spiral order after a couple of seconds but your idea is just as good! I just need to know how many seconds it can possibly take because I want to show a high score table afterwards. If it's not much I'll probably do it, if not I'll combine it with the spiral fill after a certain amount of time.