2016 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Moderator: Moderators

NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Re: 2016 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Post by NESHomebrew »

Myask wrote:Hmm. Well, it's not in that "archive". Archive.org's copy isn't old enough, either. Don't suppose anyone has a copy I could have?
I'm pretty sure you can find a thread on Nintendoage for it.
Myask

Post by Myask »

Ah. Looks like there was ☠‼drama‼☠, and user (apparently*) took the ROM down from that thread as well, along with asking others not to redistribute it nor hacks thereof.

Oh well. I just wanted to see what the "neat graphics" were. I snooze, I lose, I guess. […wonder what that would evaluate to in Latin.]

(joke) Well, Action 52 was known for having too many shooters…(/joke)

*assuming testimony is accurate and also attachments aren't visible to guests on NA
RogerBidon

Post by RogerBidon »

Myask wrote:Oh well. I just wanted to see what the "neat graphics" were. I snooze, I lose, I guess.
For what it's worth, I recorded a little of gameplay while judging compo entries: https://youtu.be/N4Au0oc1BrU?t=10m33s
Myask

Post by Myask »

Looks about like the report: smooth, competently-programmed shooter without other distinction.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

What you see in that video is all of it, really. The two slightly differently shaped grey blob enemies each only took damage from one of the two shot types and you switch at will. There's a bomb that clears the screen as well, limited supply.

No sound effects, and that same 3 second music loop the whole time. There's no other variation in the game, no waves, just the same thing happening continually.

The readme suggested that you could win by playing to 9000 kills, if I recall. I hacked myself invincible with infinite bombs to do this, and it still took a while (with fast-forward on my emulator) to get there. Your reward for this is a black screen that says "A VICTORY!", similar to the "GAME OVER" screen.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

For anyone wishing to try CYO its author contacted me and gave me this link to share, where you can download the ROM:

http://nemesys.atspace.com/alienes/cyo.html