My entry: The paths of Bridewell

Moderator: Moderators

zkip

My entry: The paths of Bridewell

Post by zkip »

Hi! I've been lurking for a little and noticed this contest going on. So, I've been working on this since around December.

"The paths of Bridewell" is a topdown dungeon/escape type game. This is my first "full" game and I'm sure in parts you can tell it. It's a little bit of a challenge getting correct palettes across all major emulators and also real hardware. So take the colors for what they are. I hope they turned out right. The CRT I used for testing is, a little on the small side. It was tested on real hardware using INL's NROM board. There are a few problems, but nothing that is game breaking. It's been fun, and I'm not too good at talking so here's a couple of screens and a download. I'm going to go celebrate this game being done.

Thanks guys,

zkip
Attachments
ThePathsofBridewell(Compo3).zip
(13.33 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
THEPAT~2.png
THEPAT~2.png (3.35 KiB) Viewed 20779 times
THEPAT~1.png
THEPAT~1.png (4.39 KiB) Viewed 20779 times
team_disposable

Re: My entry: The paths of Bridewell

Post by team_disposable »

Hi zkip!

That screen refresh is lovely! I look forward to playing this, and congratulations on finishing your first game!
zkip

Post by zkip »

Thanks!

I'm also posting here to say that I got curious (lol) and searched on google to see if anyone was talking about this game and sure enough someone already has a video up of several of the entries. This video brought to my attention that maybe some of you are experiencing music issues. The music isn't supposed to be slow. I'm assuming it's because the author of this video was using some sort of PAL emulation/hardware, but I'll let it be known now that it's programmed for NTSC only. No PAL compatibility has been programmed.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Success!
ThePathsofBridewell(Compo3)-0.png
ThePathsofBridewell(Compo3)-0.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 20595 times
zkip

Post by zkip »

rainwarrior wrote:Success!
That's awesome. I'm actually really glad you posted this because I was a little afraid I may have made that boss a little bit too hard.
Broke Studio
Formerly glutock

Post by Broke Studio »

Finished too, the boss was fine, don't worry ;)
My first game : Twin Dragons available at Broke Studio.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

The boss was okay, it seemed to get lodged in narrow places I could attack it from the side, mostly.

The one place I did get kinda stuck was trying to go back across the ice. It took me a while to realize I cold go up from here:
ThePathsofBridewell(Compo3)-2.png
ThePathsofBridewell(Compo3)-2.png (6.32 KiB) Viewed 20546 times
It sort of felt like a solution that was "outside the grid".
calima

Post by calima »

Liked this one.

Some notes:
- he moves a bit too slow
- the main menu was slow/unresponsive
- I'd like for the collision hitbox to be shorter, now it looks like his hair pixel stops him from moving right under a block
- was the pushable rock supposed to stop the enemy that moves between two points? He just passed through the rock, no matter where I put it
zkip

Post by zkip »

Thanks for those comments guys. That's originally why I entered the contest, I'd like to see how to improve. I'll try to do something making sure the player knows how to use the ice.

About the speed, I sorta figured this. 2px per frame seemed like too much. Maybe I'll do some subpixeling. Also no, the only things the rocks stop are the player.
calima

Post by calima »

Hm, then how were you supposed to get to the bottom without getting hurt? The room was laid out exactly like you were expected to trap the enemy in the top corner using a rock.
zkip

Post by zkip »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Call it bad design? lol. The idea is, IIRC, trip it by going in front of it, go to the left so you don't get hurt then hug the wall on the way down. If your sneaky enough and in the right side you can pass directly to the right of those fall down enemys and they won't trip.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I noticed that your game leaves PRG ROM A1E0-DFFF,FD00-FFF9 unused, more than half the PRG ROM. How hard would it be to move things around to fit it in NROM-128?
zkip

Post by zkip »

tepples wrote:I noticed that your game leaves PRG ROM A1E0-DFFF,FD00-FFF9 unused, more than half the PRG ROM. How hard would it be to move things around to fit it in NROM-128?
At the moment- it would take some time, because of various reasons I'm working on changing a lot of things in the game and left a lot strung out(I've changed a lot) and didn't make a backup.

Actually, I'm all for omitting this entry from the cart if you want. If you need the space it wouldn't bother me a bit if you guys want to cut it. I'm sure anyone that wants to play it knows where to find me. 8-)
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

if you guys want to cut it.
I don't want to cut it.
didn't make a backup
Make backups.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

Make backups.