Action 53 v. 3 Packaging & Cover Art

Moderator: Moderators

M_Tee

Action 53 v. 3 Packaging & Cover Art

Post by M_Tee »

Early last month, I had a brief discussion with infiniteneslives, NEShomebrew, tepples, and na_th_an in which I expressed interest in illustrating and designing the new Action 53 box art. Not to misquote anyone, but the general consensus of the discussion was approving, pending the other contributors' input.

What I have planned…
Currently, there seems to be discussion about whether v. 3 should cumulatively include games from v. 1 and 2.
If v. 3 only includes new games, I will likely have a single illustration on the cover that is representative of every game included. If the new volume includes old games as well, I may do a wraparound cover. Regardless, it is my intention to have every game included on the cart represented in the box art. The illustration will also likely utilize the isometric perspective shown in the two illustrations below and in all of the Cowlitz Gamers artwork linked further below.

To give an idea of how I would represent some of these games, I've put together two postcard-sized illustrations of past Action 53 games:

Image Image

What Else I've done…
Some of the NES-related stuff I've done includes the following:
Swords and Runes packaging & illustration
Cowlitz Gamers Adventure cover art
Cowlitz Gamers Adventure packaging
Cowlitz Gamers Adventure manual
Cowlitz Gamers' 2nd Adventure spot illustrations
Pyronaut promotional illustration

When I can do it…
I will spend the next two weeks or so finishing up the packaging for CGA-2. Afterward, I'll be available to start once the final game list is made available. Depending on the number of games included, it will take me a few weekends to finish it up.

Why I'm the artist for it…
I've been following the progress of the competition throughout the year, and am both familiar with and passionate about these games. I'm excited about representing the characters of this year's games–and by the creative challenge of representing the characterless games as well.

Moreover, the particular art style that I've been working in lately is heavily influenced by the DIY, indie scifi / fantasy comics of the 80s– which I feel appropriately compliments the homebrew aspect of the project.

So, please use this thread for questions, comments, feedback, suggestions, etc.
na_th_an

Re: Action 53 v. 3 Packaging & Cover Art

Post by na_th_an »

I love your art and style and I think the multicart will benefit from your skills. I hope you are given the position.
Broke Studio
Formerly glutock

Post by Broke Studio »

Wow, that's great news, I really like your work !
My first game : Twin Dragons available at Broke Studio.
Punch

Post by Punch »

Your art style is gorgeous and you should definitely go for it!

Is the t-shirt going to happen? If your illustration follows your examples it would be an awesome design for it. I'd even buy a full size poster with the cover art, that's how well I think of your art.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I'm glad that responses have ranged from no interest/no comment to avid approval. :)

I'm finishing up the Cowlitz packaging art at the moment and have begun loose sketches and ideas for this cover art. If there is any additional backstory, character representation preference, or anything from any of the contributors, please post here or PM me.

Otherwise, I look forward to the fun of interpreting these games and their characters.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

M_Tee wrote:I'm glad that responses have ranged from no interest/no comment to avid approval. :)
Please interpret my previous lack of response as avid approval. Your work looks great, and I'm excited to see how you'll represent everything!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I didn't say anything before because I didn't participate in the competition at all, but I really like this art style! I think it fits the spirit perfectly!
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

I feel like we are getting close to having a Release Candidate ROM soon, So I've been thinking about the theme topic lately. There has been mentions about deciding on a themed volume title, but I never saw a clear consensus yet.

Suggestions I found so far:
Myask in [url=https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=192404#p192404]Action 53 volume 3[/url] wrote:Action 53 Function Ceiling ⅓ (Action 53/3 for short)
[…54/3 = 18 = round(53/3)= ceil(53/3)]
Action 53…3…3…3…3…3…3…
Action 53 3: Too Hot For the Kitchen
JAN CTION PON 53
I personally like the first suggestion here but here's one of my own.

Action 53 Episode 3: Revenge of the Twins

This was thought up due to the compo winner, the 4 mojon twins games, and referencing a popular lackluster movie.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I tried title screen concepts for "twins", but the Gemini symbol ♊ looks like the Roman numeral "II", which was the previous volume.
Myask

Post by Myask »

JRoatch wrote:I feel like we are getting close to having a Release Candidate ROM soon, So I've been thinking about the theme topic lately. There has been mentions about deciding on a themed volume title, but I never saw a clear consensus yet.

Suggestions I found so far:
Myask in [url=https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=192404#p192404]Action 53 volume 3[/url] wrote:Action 53 Function Ceiling ⅓ (Action 53/3 for short)
[…54/3 = 18 = round(53/3)= ceil(53/3)]
Action 53…3…3…3…3…3…3…
Action 53 3: Too Hot For the Kitchen
JAN CTION PON 53
I personally like the first suggestion here but here's one of my own.

Action 53 Episode 3: Revenge of the Twins

This was thought up due to the compo winner, the 4 mojon twins games, and referencing a popular lackluster movie.
more properly, ⎡Action 53/3⎤ for short.

Love your art as always, M_Tee.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Inks are finally finished. Once I scan and clean them up, I'll post them.

In the meantime, here's Waddles. It's a shame Quack: A Duck Simulator and The Legend of Quackin' Jack's Gold weren't finished for the cart. Would have been nice to have a full trio of ducks on the cover. :)
Broke Studio
Formerly glutock

Post by Broke Studio »

Awesome !

Can't wait to see this !
My first game : Twin Dragons available at Broke Studio.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Now I'm imagining a t-shirt with three ducks quacking at the moon...
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Nice duck! Can't wait to see the rest!
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Thanks... my linework is generally a dense mess until I color it, but I'll be using color holds (converting parts of the inks to color) and balancing colors carefully, so it should (in theory) read surprisingly clearly despite the density of the lineart. :)

Every game and toy is represented, as of the latest build, and many games have a major -and minor- reference.