M_Tee

Re: Action 53 v. 3 Packaging & Cover Art

Post by M_Tee »

My bad. Will correct.
Myask

Post by Myask »

"Ltd" needs a period "Ltd."

I'd say change the dash between www.nesdev.com and www.nintendoage.com into an ampersand (&) instead, but it's not a mistake, afaik.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Didn't want any images with the misspelled name floating around, so I removed the link to that image.

Anyway, corrected spelling, added all of Myask's corrections / suggestions. (much appreciated)

Unless there are any objections, the following is a preview of what's going to the printer:

Linked for Width

Despite the blurriness in that preview, it should print very crisply:
  • All sprites have been vectorized using this method.
  • The source image for the cover art is well over 600dpi at that scale.
  • All text uses fonts with appropriate permissions and will be converted to outlines prior to print.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

M_Tee wrote:Didn't want any images with the misspelled name floating around, so I removed the link to that image.
We already have Damian Yeppick floating around anyway.

Are we directly printing a vector file again? What's being done differently to make sure it turns out differently from Volume 2's somewhat blurry box?
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

We're using a printer I've worked with before (for Cowlitz 1) and the file is structured in the same way as the file I sent for that. The Cowlitz 1 boxes printed with crisp, clean art and text.

I haven't seen the A53 v. 2 boxes though.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

I haven't seen the A53 v. 2 boxes though.
Yeah last time we sent vectorized art to the print shop which they said was fine. Result was not ideal... AFAIK, it has to be converted to .bmp at some point in the process of getting to the printer, decision is whether you want to have control over that conversion or not.

Really the best insurance is to require proofs be delivered prior to full printing.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

infiniteneslives wrote:AFAIK, it has to be converted to .bmp at some point in the process of getting to the printer
What the hell?! What kind of print shop uses .bmp, a format that doesn't even support CMYK? AFAIK, the most common format for printing is PDF, which can contain bitmaps and vectors (whatever works best for each element) in CMYK.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The last time I used a large format printer, you had to rasterize it yourself (i.e. tiff, bmp, whatever) or else it would screw up fonts.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for a box printer....

Colorspace conversions are comparatively hard to screw up, in comparison to postscript or its subset in PDF.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I've dealt with printers that preferred raster files and ones that prefer vector. With the latter, it's good to convert fonts to outlines first.

But I've no problem rasterizing the file first if needed.

infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Sorry I'm far from an expert on any of this. I was thinking "bitmapped" aka rasterized file, not necessarily .bmp format.

I just know we've been stung sending (vectored) files to the a print shop before without fully proofing. So regardless of what file gets sent to the print shop I'll be getting a proof prior to printing volume.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Problem with V2 is that it was rasterized in low resolution. As long as the vector art is rasterized to 600dpi (for example), it should look good in print.
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

Just saw the full box; it looks awesome!

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy
Punch

Post by Punch »

I have no words... Well done, this is amazing, thank you very much for giving part of your time to do the cover art. :beer:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I'm glad it's being received well. Sent it to the printer last week. I've been laying out the text for the contributor poster as of late. Should have a preview of it ready for proofreading soon.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I love Wafflefoot's boxes. For anyone who plans on publishing their homebrew, I can't suggest him enough.