Does anyone think we should extend the deadline?

Moderator: Moderators

Should we extend the deadline?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 16

dougeff

Does anyone think we should extend the deadline?

Post by dougeff »

Due to the late announcement on Nintendo Age..
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
infiniteneslives

Re: Does anyone think we should extend the deadline?

Post by infiniteneslives »

I don't feel I really have a dog in the fight that justifies me voting, IMO voting is best left to people planning to submit an entry or who feel very strongly. You can probably guess what I would vote based on my comments, but I don't feel strongly enough to justify a vote.

It's a bummer that we didn't do a better job announcing the competition on nintendo age. Regardless of if we extend or not, we should take that as a lesson learned and make sure we are announcing things both here and on Nintendo age in the future.

While I can see the argument for extending due to this over sight, I really question how many entries we'll gain by extending another month. Do we actually have anyone on NA who was unaware of the competition until just now and plans to put something together in such a short amount of time? If such an actual person exists, then there's merit to extending. If not, then there kinda needs to be another reason to extend besides effectively not announcing the compo in a NA thread.

Something I was pushing for when we were arranging 2016 compo was a more regular annual compo schedule. One that had the same annual deadline year in year out. That way it could be somewhat counted on by new people joining the community. If they're getting involved late in the year then maybe they just start working on next year's compo early. Perhaps the guys on NA that are bummed about not being informed about the compo should really be thinking about starting work on a submission for Jan 2018. Last compo we decided that 3 months really wasn't enough time, so I question how we would now think that 1 month might be enough time to increase the number of entries.

That all said. Whatever the deadline is decided to be, it's not like the submitted games are getting flashed onto the vol3 of Action53 the next day, week, or even month most likely. I'm hoping we will expedite the judging process much like was done last compo so as not to leave everyone on the edge of their seats awaiting results. Based on history, there will be a decent amount of time for developers to correct any found bugs, or modify/censor/etc anything that might disqualify their entry from being included on the cartridge. Last compo there was a better part of a year that passed while collecting up enough games to fill the cart. Not sure if we'll take that same approach this year. But my point is, if someone is planning on putting a game together over the course of the next month, we will welcome them to include their game on the cartridge. The only real loss of a submission that's a month past the deadline is chance to win placing prizes. They would still get a contributor's limited edition cartridge or any other entry prizes awarded to all submissions. Perhaps that's enough consolation for anyone who missed out on the compo announcement?

EDIT: It might be a good idea to include a proposed date for poll as yes/no without a date is somewhat ambiguous. Should the deadline be extended the next thing we'll struggle with is deciding when.
Last edited by infiniteneslives on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I voted using my phone, and voted "yes" entirely by mistake. For what that's worth, there should be one less "yes" vote.
calima

Post by calima »

From the other topic
calima wrote:Even though I doubt NA has many devs given the site's nature, I'd be in favor of pushing it back. Naturally, I'm biased as well, not having slept in the last four months kinda put a damper on my progress.
I read I'm not the only one here with life kicking them to the head with pink boots, but that shouldn't extend the deadline alone.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I think that if the late posting at NA is the primary justification, then asking in that thread if an extra month would result in anyone there submitting.
calima

Post by calima »

Passing that there.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

FWIW, I might submit another entry, if the deadline were extended. It wouldn't be a big game, or a 'killer app'.
Myask

Post by Myask »

If immediately starting a 2017 competition, no.
Else, yes; purely selfish reasons.
That all said. Whatever the deadline is decided to be, it's not like the submitted games are getting flashed onto the vol3 of Action53 the next day, week, or even month most likely.
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

Voted yes because it would be nice to have more time to add polish. These past two months have not been kind to my schedule.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

My health has nosedived again so I won't be making the current deadline. If that means I miss out then tough buns, but I would certainly like to participate.
tepples

Post by tepples »

There is usually some time for polish between the compo deadline and when the cartridge goes gold.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

There is usually some time for polish between the compo deadline and when the cartridge goes gold.
My proposal...

Projects submitted by original deadline could be eligible for the prizes and such.

Projects started before the deadline, but not completed by the deadline...with, perhaps, a 2-4 week leeway...could be 'submitted' but not eligible for prizes. And, could be included in the multicart, maybe, no guarantees.

EDIT - I see, thats what infiniteNESlives said, also...
if someone is planning on putting a game together over the course of the next month, we will welcome them to include their game on the cartridge. The only real loss of a submission that's a month past the deadline is chance to win placing prizes. They would still get a contributor's limited edition cartridge or any other entry prizes awarded to all submissions. Perhaps that's enough constellation [sic] for anyone who missed out on the compo announcement?
Anyway, I guess I agree, then. Fair proposal.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Myask wrote:If immediately starting a 2017 competition, no.
That is our intention.
Myask

Post by Myask »

infiniteneslives wrote:It's concluded. Between the 3 of us the decision was made to stick to original deadline of Jan 31st. The goal is to have an annual compo that can be relied upon to end Jan 31st each year. If you've missed out on last year's compo, you're just in time for this year's. There will be ample time for tweaks and polishing of entries prior to cartridge production. Late entries are still welcome and available for inclusion on the cartridge along with any other desired work that is created outside of the compo.
[This topic's purpose is concluded.]