A53v3 Contributor Write-Ups

Moderator: Moderators

M_Tee

A53v3 Contributor Write-Ups

Post by M_Tee »

I will very soon be laying out the back of the fold-out poster which will be included with the CIB copies of A53v3. The games receive enough focus elsewhere. Instead, for this foldout, I would like to focus on the contributors, developers, and others responsible for A53.

So, I am asking each contributor to provide a brief write-up that follows these guidelines:
  • Is written in 3rd person.
  • Is 3-5 sentences long. (flexible)
  • Includes your contributions to or involvement with Action 53 (current and past volumes)
  • Includes a brief background or personal history in NES or game dev, etc. (such as a list of games released or worked on, etc.)
  • A method of contact and / or web address (If neither is desired, nesdev user id would suffice.)

If desired, you may also include:
  • A logo, photo, or other image (otherwise, I may use a screenshot or character sprite from your game)
  • Anything else you feel the need to include. (I will use my best discretion for space / appropriateness, but ultimately, I want this to provide or open up as much information as possible for buyers, fans, etc.)
Please provide your write-ups as responses to this thread. (It will be much easier for me to keep track of than PMs).

=====================================
We have about 16 x 10 inches of space to fill. I may edit any write-ups provided for grammatical or spelling purposes or to fit the space we have provided. However, the final poster will be posted here with enough time before printing for anyone to proofread or request changes, etc.

If any other significant collaborator (graphics, music, etc.) would like to provide their own write-up, they are welcome to do so.

I will likely organize the write-ups by...
  • Placement order of winners
  • Alphabetical order of runner-ups
  • Other contributors that did not enter the contest - or - entrants who chose not to provide an additional write-up (using whatever minimal credits are listed publicly)
  • Key members involved in A53 (NEShomebrew, INL, myself for box and layout, etc.)
na_th_an

Re: A53v3 Contributor Write-Ups

Post by na_th_an »

"The Mojon Twins is a group of friends which formed circa 2006. They also make games for old systems, with more than 60 releases for several platforms. They were contacted to fill up space in Action 53 vol2, which features their Sir Ababol and Sgt. Helmet: Training Day games. This vol3 contains their games Cheril the Goddess, Lala the Magical and Wo Xiang Niao Niao, made for the compo, plus Zombie Calavera Prologue. You can find them and their games at http://www.mojontwins.com
And this logo:
logomojono.png
logomojono.png (1.19 KiB) Viewed 17673 times
(It can be scaled to fit, as it designed to be low res)

Hope this is what you need :) Maybe it can be condensed, but I'm not good at it (specially on a language that's not my first)
RogerBidon

Post by RogerBidon »

Finding his childhood's game system gathering dust in a storeroom marked the beginning of Sylvain's NES development journey. As a first project, Super Tilt Bro was expected to be too big, simply a coding exercise, but endless love for the NES brought it to life. Super Tilt Bro, present in Action53 vol. 3, will continue to be improved, you can follow Sylvain's project on Twitter: @RogerBidon.
Attachments
logo.png
logo.png (2.64 KiB) Viewed 17657 times
calima

Post by calima »

Sinking Feeling is Lauri's first entry in the A53 compos. Having made games on modern platforms, he moved to older consoles a few years ago, now working with Mega Cat. You can find him at NesDev under the nick calima.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Hopefully, this isn't too long:

Damian Yerrick developed the Action 53 menu software and created the spec for its memory controller. In addition, he developed several games and toys appearing on all three volumes so far, including Concentration Room, Russian Roulette, Thwaite, Zap Ruder (ZapPing, Axe, and Zapper Calibration), RHDE: Furniture Fight, and NES ports of robotfindskitten and Artemio Urbina's 240p Test Suite. He was also lead programmer for Haunted: Halloween '85 and The Curse of Possum Hollow, published by Retrotainment Games. He has years of 6502 assembly language experience but just doesn't get the Z80.

Web: pineight.com

Twitter: @PinoBatch
(larger | vector)
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Brad Bateman (NESHomebrew) creates games under the name Strange Brew Games. He has helped develop the NESDev Compo from a random idea in a forum thread to an increasingly successful competition. As more of an administrating role, he maintains the website and helps organize the submissions and judging. His major contributions to the homebrew community include graphic work on 8-bit Xmas 2011 (retrousb), Larry (KHan Games), as well as beta testing on 10+ cartridge releases. You can contact him by emailing NESHomebrew@gmail.com or sending direct messages via NESDev, Nintendoage, or Twitter.
Attachments
sbg.PNG
sbg.PNG (1.7 KiB) Viewed 17576 times
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Nathan Tolbert has developed a small handful of games for various systems (notably including Anguna: an adventure game for Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, and Atari 2600), and decided to make a first foray into NES development with Spacey McRacey for the 2016 NesDev competition. You can find his games at http://www.bitethechili.com
Attachments
chiliBite.png
Last edited by gauauu on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Broke Studio
Formerly glutock

Post by Broke Studio »

Antoine Gohin / glutock, started coding for the NES in 2015, and created "Pair the Pets" his first game as a project to learn how the system works. Learning about the NESdev coding competition, he used his platformer prototype and Surt's artwork as an entry in October 2016. Twin Dragons was born. After getting cool feedback and winning the competition, he decided to expand the project to release a full version of the game on cartridge. He asked two friends for help, and they created Broke Studio, an independent retro game studio. Finally, after a successful Kickstarter campaign, they're working hard on Twin Dragons again, and they hope to release more games after that !

http://www.brokestudio.fr
contact@brokestudio.fr
twitter : @pixels_kitchen

PSD zipped in attachement (Broke Studio logo - use is as you want, with or without text)
broke-studio-logo-RVB.zip
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 634 times
My first game : Twin Dragons available at Broke Studio.
pubby

Post by pubby »

Ralph 4 and Lunar Limit are hand-crafted artisanal programs made by the user Pubby. All music is certified free-trade, imported from a Norwegian note-smith called MovieMovies1.

My logo:
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Argh, I hate writing about myself :?
Mike J Moffitt has recently moved to making games for game consoles. Taking a break from a few larger projects, Karate Kick is a rewrite of an iOS game of the same name as a first experiment in 6502 assembly. You can find games, music, and electronics projects at http://mikejmoffitt.com
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

I hear that on the hating writing about yourself... here goes something:

-----

cppchriscpp is a relative newcomer to retro game development. His focus tends to be on shorter games for contests such as Ludum Dare. Waddles the Duck was his first completed longer-term project for the NES. He also maintains a quirky networking library for the NES. You can follow his misadventures on twitter: @cppchriscpp.

-----

Edit as needed, or let me know if anything needs tweaking. I'm not super attached to anything I wrote; just didn't want to leave you with nothing!
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

Chris Cacciatore started procrastinating on making a NES game back in 2009 when he first found the NesDev forums. Chris created both Nebs and Debs as part of a pixel art alphabet series for his daughter, and he liked the pairing so much he made them the titular characters of his A53v3 submission. Look out for continued Nebs n' Debs development at twitter.com/cacciatc. Nebs 'n Debs has been incalculably improved with tracks and SFX by Richard 'kulor' Armijo (twitter.com/CommodoreKulor).
nin-kuuku

Post by nin-kuuku »

Not very sober and also hating to write about oneself but promised to write something so here goes.
------------
Nin-kuuku is NES/GB/NDS/AtariVCS/C64/PCE (audio) project that started somewhere around 2006. Jupiter Scope 2 was made using Flat Assembler by Tomasz Grysztar and NES Screen Tool by Shiru and NESdev Wiki by nesdev and Jovian pictures by NASA.
------------
That cat was cool and is the logo.
Attachments
yrjö.bmp
yrjö.bmp (7.12 KiB) Viewed 17246 times
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Johnathan Roatch designed the cartridge and box art for Double Action 53 Volume 2, and also happen to make a few things for Action 53 Vol.3 Revenge of the Twins.

---

I have not decided what the photo would be, it's definitely not going to be a Bavoom from Meteos (which was imported from my current Steam profile)
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Is written in 3rd person

Doug is very busy. Doug is going to bed early, because Doug has to work at 7am.

Doug made a logo, but it sucks. (It was an 8th note followed by a forte symbol).

Doug edited this comment.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES