Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by dougeff »

I think this game is simply AWESOME!
Thanks. :beer:
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Dropbox link updated, I was able to make the boss blink when hit. I found some redundancies in the asm code and put them in a single subroutine...freeing up 6*8 = 48 bytes, and I was still 1 byte too many, so I removed an RTS and redirected a branch to another RTS.

Here's this link again. All the game genie codes should work the same.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3gkv ... nHoney.nes
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I really enjoyed your interview on The Assembly Line, especially in regards to your art process.
Denine

Post by Denine »

@dougeff
Thanks for update.
I did beat the game with no problems(same game genie still works).
One thing I've noticed during this playthrough was that bee never spawns near X players position when Im close to top of screen. Was this coded that was or was I just lucky?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I don't believe so.

The timing has changed since earlier builds (less frequent bees). Maybe that's what you are noticing.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

As i didn't partake in the voting (toggle switch did that), i hadn't played this until now, but i really like it.

It felt good! I especially like the in-game enemy presentation and the music is great. The levels are lots of fun and suitably challenging.
At first i thought the sped-up music meant i was running out of time (it's a bit of a stressor + this is how SMB does it) which felt confusing, but then i realized it was because i got the star. Speaking of SMB, i instantly tried to duck the bee but quickly learned you can't do that - which is fine, of course! Just describing some experiences. I percieved a difficulty spike on level 11 compared to 12 and 13 which felt easier (did both on the first try but lost a bunch of lives on the 11th). I think it has to do with the two long stairs with bird droppings being directly next to each other.

Overall, it is definitely one of my favourites this year along with f-ff and grunioźerca 2
tepples

Post by tepples »

For comparison: Sonic the Hedgehog uses fast music to denote the speed shoes powerup.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Hm.. but isn't that to teletext that sonic goes faster? That's not a symbolic conflict to me.
The concept of going fast or being in a hurry is the signified, while sped up tempo is a relatable signifier.

Also pardon my ignorance - I've only played some sonic game and i'm not even sure which one on the MD maybe a few times. Do you mean it switches to (other) fast-paced, music (like getting the star in SMB wgere the star music is also bright, energetic and happy) or just speeds up the tempo?
tepples

Post by tepples »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Hm.. but isn't that to teletext that sonic goes faster? That's not a symbolic conflict to me.
The concept of going fast or being in a hurry is the signified, while sped up tempo is a relatable signifier.
The difference though is danger-hurry vs. powerup-hurry. In danger-hurry situations (low oxygen, 10 minute level timer about to expire), Sonic switches to different music.
FrankenGraphics wrote:Do you mean it switches to (other) fast-paced, music (like getting the star in SMB wgere the star music is also bright, energetic and happy) or just speeds up the tempo?
Getting the star analogue in Sonic changes to different music, just as in Mario. It also stacks with the speed shoes' tempo modifier, giving five total combinations:

No powerup: normal speed level music
Speed shoes: fast level music
Star: normal speed star music
Star + speed shoes: fast star music
Low O2: danger music
Myask

Post by Myask »

Fun. A worthy successor to Jumpman (C64). The music seems longer than any individual stage timer, though…

(How many stages are there?)