Better?
yes.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Progress thread: Unrevealed title

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Update

Spent 6 cels of mostly unique tiles on the determined stride/run animation since the player will see that a lot.

Summary
Time domain: Duration set to 4 frames for transitioning cels; 7 frames for the 2 "turning point" cels.
Position domain: a "dip" of 1px set for two of the cels (worth 4 frames each) when the legs are between contact points with the ground. i experimented with having position animation free-standing from cel durations, but the yield was not enough to justify it imo.
Pixel domain: The differences in movement from cel to cel were made to create an "ease in" from the turning points but end quite abruptly at the next turning point: the largest distance is covered between the last "transition" cel and the upcoming turning point. This hopefully helps reinforce the expression of determination.
Attachments
animated_guide.gif
animated_guide.gif (4.45 KiB) Viewed 11626 times
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

There's a little pixel cleanup to be done, but i think this giant rat (my biggest pain) is finally starting to come together.

Just to make sure you guys think it works -- If you have any critique, let me know!
75percentdone.gif
75percentdone.gif (5.65 KiB) Viewed 11532 times
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

I love the rat. The bounce has a lot of energy/personality.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Thanks! Trying to bring out some more of that.

Same use of tiles (actually one less), more dynamic placement. Definitely smoother. A little different pacing (always hard to nail! Better? Worse?)
90percentdone.gif
90percentdone.gif (6.53 KiB) Viewed 11510 times
Edit: Curbed the tail and also the ears a bit. This detail is getting close to final, if not already?
asgoodasdone.gif
asgoodasdone.gif (6.45 KiB) Viewed 11496 times
calima

Post by calima »

I like!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Looks great!
calima

Post by calima »

Submitted. FrankenGraphics, feel free to edit the title now.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Progress thread: Inherent Smile

Title ...revealed!
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

That is some nice logo work!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The logo and the ornaments look great! Very colorful!
thefox

Post by thefox »

Is this game PAL only? I'm getting some graphics corruption in NDX when using NTSC.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
pubby

Post by pubby »

Does the "run" button work? I keep dying to stuff and I can't run away!

I would be interested in hearing how the raycaster works. It looks different than tokumaru's.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I don't understand what happened with this game... It has some of the greatest graphics I have ever seen on the NES, the use of color is absolutely fantastic! And then there are the 3D sequences...

I don't mind the "Tyrannosaurus Tex style" of textured walls (I wanted to see it done on the NES, actually), but the dimensions of the blocks are really inconsistent... You can't see openings very well until you're really close, it looks like things get distorted as you move around. I ended up using the tiny circular map almost exclusively, since it's so hard to tell what's going on in the 3D.

But more surprising than the 3D view itself, is the interface around it. How come this screen looks like a quick MS Paint sketch while the rest of the game has such amazing graphics?
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

I don't understand what happened with this game...
A number of things i'm painfully aware of:
-Scope of project + time constraints didn't line up too well for me, which i failed to foresee. In hindsight, had i been able to begin work earlier, there would have been more headroom covering for the point below:
-Then my involvement got delayed by ~3-4 weeks mid-process because of real life (sorry, calima...)
-Lastly, some assets had to be cut out of sheer size - which essentially means i spent precious time on the wrong things.

As for the 3d maze graphics:
It wasn't originally planned/asked for, but I had hoped to have time left to work on the 3d environments' GUI + additional graphics, but as it were, i was only able to finish my original assignment (design for equipment and monsters, graphics for title+ending and all the battle sceneries, enemies, equipment, battle effects and spells, boss, and then animations).

I think it's a good start, but it didn't get the polish it deserves. Throw more time and ROM on it and i think it'll be quite the experience if we commit to it further.

Basically, my personal lesson is that any project needs a months' buffer time in case anything unplanned affects your schedule negatively - and if it doesn't you can either spend that buffer on further polishing things, or just sit back and be satisfied. As it were i sacrificed sleep and postponed dayjob tasks to get back on schedule somewhat in the nick of time, which isn't optimal from any angle. All while calima had to deal with dependencies not being fixed on time.

Comparing to the process of bringing project blue to the table, i had a couple of months more to work on that which meant the downtime i had didn't affect the project visibly.