Star Evil and F-FF

Moderator: Moderators

pubby

Re: Star Evil and F-FF

Post by pubby »

Oh, I see. I forgot to remove that hole.

Good find! Thanks. I'll put a fixed version in the OP.
toggle switch

Post by toggle switch »

star evil was really special and creative.

you'll probably get more eyeballs on your racing game if you post a more representative picture, it's pretty great too.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Pretty nifty stuff. I liked the way you did the bidirectional wavy title screen.

Didn't get all the way through Star Evil but I got a few things accomplished at least. Will try again.
thefox

Post by thefox »

I see lots of uninitialized memory accesses originating from $916D/$9165 in F-FF in NDX. Looks like a delay loop. Might cause interesting problems if the reads end up hitting hardware registers...
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Didn't get all the way through Star Evil but I got a few things accomplished at least. Will try again.
If you're stuck at the umbrella part, here's a hint. It might help to have a friend.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
pubby

Post by pubby »

thefox wrote:I see lots of uninitialized memory accesses originating from $916D/$9165 in F-FF in NDX. Looks like a delay loop. Might cause interesting problems if the reads end up hitting hardware registers...
Good catch. It is just for timing, so I can replace it easily.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Finally got around to playing F-FF... and wow!!! I love it!

I'm usually selective with racers but this captures the fun. It also makes me wish i had part in it (like any good game does).
This game is very pure. Has a lot of style.

Only things i wish it had (it's not even nitpicks - it's a wish list from a fan):
-Three lives as not to scare away the easily discouraged.Maybe as easy/normal mode, with one life being hardcore mode. You'd still want to come back for a better score. This would help game owners encourage friends to dare play it if it starts at a casual level!

-And medals! With graphics (however small in size) that feels rewarding to see. or lacking that, just maybe differently coloured text on your lap times as to signal "try harder" "ok" "good" "great".

-Maybe an even more differently looking second player although i love they share a similar taste in cool shades.
calima

Post by calima »

I couldn't make heads or tails of Star Evil. I kept dying in different ways and nothing made sense. It seemed like it was supposed to be a parody of VVVVVV, but my impression was probably wrong.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

IMO, this Star Evil is more of a postmodern homage to the 2600's Adventure.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

I quite liked Star Evil. I enjoy its originality and weirdness, it's fresh. And I like puzzling, obscure, head-scratching games.
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

Finally getting around to playing some of the compo games this year, and gave both of yours a try.

F-FF was kinda cool - not a style of game you see often on the NES. The controls felt quite responsive.

Ii had a lot of fun with Star Evil. (Bet those are words that have never been said before this version!) I managed to get to the end after a few tries. There were a few good puzzles and the aesthetic really worked. The bomb thing was really cool, and the spots that triggered glitching were pretty entertaining. The checkpoints felt well-placed too - dying was unfortunate but never sent me back frustratingly far. Well done!
Denine

Post by Denine »

Star Evil got me :D
I wasn't aware of how "adventurous" this game was until Mtee told me "game over" screen is not the end.
Even so, I wasnt able to finish it.
The game seem to softlock randomly on AVS+Everdrive combo...(can anyone confirm?)...and the player character is animated regardless of what player is doing, and with seemingly incorrect tiles, which doesnt seem to be the case on FCEU.

Did anyone tried F-FF on AVS+Everdrive? Seems to crash after menu selection...
But I played on FCEU and seemed fine. I like how colorful palette seemed to be.
Really cool concept, not your everyday homebrew idea, haha.

EDIT:
Never mind, I updated AVS firmware and both games work fine now.
MWK

Post by MWK »

Both games working flawlessly on real hardware* using Chris' MicroSD Cartridge.
na_th_an wrote:I quite liked Star Evil. I enjoy its originality and weirdness, it's fresh. And I like puzzling, obscure, head-scratching games.
Same here, really fun and surprising game - I'd definitely play a lot more (part 2 please?) 8-)

* - bunch of old school / legit Famiclones (such as Pegasus) and Twin Famicom.
Myask

Post by Myask »

dougeff wrote:In this room, if you go through the right doors, and hug the lowest part if it (by pressing down + right as you go through) it will crash the game.
on competition-version, no special care to where you touched edge of screen seemed necessary to crash game.

I ran both on PowerPak and they seemed to work fine, aside from the mentioned crash.

I'm wondering how that's the ending if it's accessible as the first thing you find…

F-FF is fun+hard and technically-surprising. (Dicey was the first I finished any lap on.) I wonder how much mapper trickery could improve the look to make real lines. (OBviously not for A53, but…)
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Star Evil:
My praise for this concept has already been stated. It did start to lose my interest in the later portion a bit. I especially enjoyed the envelope and flame interaction and the concentric circle maze. Graphically, I would have made a lot of different decisions myself, but I don't think they'd necessarily be better. The only thing visually that turned me off was the hand-scrawled "BK" tiles.

F-FF:
  • Absolutely love the menu screen and the driver designs
  • The title screen is visually impressive, but doesn't feel like it belongs with the gameplay or menu screen (perhaps color choice for the title screen could help?)
  • It would have benefited from a visual indicator of the 2-player option. I don't feel there's any reward for keeping this mode hidden.
  • Infinite respawns during 2-player mode. This really is a must for the game to be enjoyed by players of varying skill levels, and I'd say that since the modern NES market skews toward an older crowd, the second player will often be children, spouses, other non-gamers (But even if not, continuing to play after your couch mate has been killed isn't enjoyable for either player.) Moreover, the time lost from a respawn is enough motivation to keep it competitive.
  • Is there any way at all to get varying sized sprites drawn instead of the arrow for the other player?