Banghammer

Moderator: Moderators

team_disposable

Banghammer

Post by team_disposable »

Almost finished with the titles for my compo entry.

My scrolling shooter took a sideways turn and has come out as something else entirely.
Title-banghammer_colour.png
Title-banghammer_colour.png (1.65 KiB) Viewed 21241 times
new new york.png
new new york.png (1.81 KiB) Viewed 21241 times
Critique is always good.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Banghammer

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Great, memorable name.

Clear cut graphics too! Good job. :)

Two things you maybe want to consider (or then again not. btw i don't feel strongly about either of these points):

-Watch out for large fields of checkerboard. Might not turn out the way you want on hardware. Then again, it's a stylism you seem to have actively chosen and used consistently, which can sometimes be far more important than to avoid every little technical hickup there is, imo.

-At that large size and level of detail of the character/title, i feel like i'm missing solid fill-field shadows and highlight fields on the character to give it some depth and sense of light direction. Up to you though as that might not be the style you were looking for.
team_disposable

Thanks Frankengraphics!

Both of those are intentional in this case (I quite like the shimmer and the character is supposed to have a bright, strong cartoon feel) but as always this is a great critique.
Punch

Post by Punch »

I wasn't expecting a movie adaptation project, but why is Fred Williamson white here? :mrgreen:

I like the city skyline screen. Keep up the good work, I'm curious on how this game will turn out to be.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
tepples

Post by tepples »

To make it unrecognizable to lawyers perhaps? I remember some NES movie tie-in game had to be altered because though they had the movie license, they didn't have the separate license for the lead actor's likeness. (It may or may not have been Bruce Willis; my memory fails me.) This is also my hypothesis as to why the Thomas sprite in IREM's Kung Fu doesn't look much like Jackie Chan in the movie it was based on (Wheels on Meals).
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

And of course, journey to silius is the closest we've ever gotten to the bad future as depicted in the terminator (the movie that was supposed to portray it didn't capture all the lures and charms of the original vision in an attempt to be temporary/cool)
team_disposable

Fred Williamson! That's awesome! I'm somewhat sad to say it's unrelated, however.

Three (semi related) facts:

1. The main character for this was originally (Indian) asian when the game was called SPECIAL TEAM, however I updated the graphics when the concept of banghammer hit.

2. My favourite blaxploitation movie is The Spook who sat by the door. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Made by United Artists, it's the story of a black CIA recruit who causes a new civil war in America.

3. Mario is a knock off of Popeye, Solid Snake is a knock off of Kyle Reese, Contra stars Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, and I don't imagine Bruce Willis's estate authorized this:
team_disposable

Also the fact the guy from Kung Fu is Jackie Chan blew my mind when I found out about it a year or so ago.

Also,

team_disposable

Alright, it's getting late here and I'm still frantically bug fixing.

I'm going to submit this Friday out of compo.

Here's some screen shots of the game:
runngun-2018-01-31.22.49.12_000.png
runngun-2018-01-31.22.49.12_000.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 21059 times

The guard is mid hop in his animation, his feet do touch the floor, I promise!
runngun-2018-01-31.22.49.12_013.png
runngun-2018-01-31.22.49.12_013.png (4.38 KiB) Viewed 21059 times
runngun-2018-01-31.22.49.12_017.png
runngun-2018-01-31.22.49.12_017.png (3.34 KiB) Viewed 21059 times
And finally, here's a guard animation:
enemy_runner_knife_slash_anim.gif
enemy_runner_knife_slash_anim.gif (3.7 KiB) Viewed 21059 times
I'm off to commiserate celebrate coming that much closer then last year to submitting on time.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Hey, this looks awesome! Coherent style, just like the title art. I love the guard!! Great swing!

Are you open for some suggestions?
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

I love the aesthetics. Can't wait to play this.
team_disposable

Thanks! Yes, all critique and suggestions welcome.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Well first off, i'll state it again, i *love* the guard. Iconic yellow, iconic helmet, and a really good swing.

I think it may be brought forward even more if you experiment a bit with the timing of the durations of each frame/cel in that animation. Think of how quick its subactions take: Preparing for the swing vs doing it. How long does it take for the swing to traverse? How long does the guard need to recoup afterwards? Things like that. Generally, reversing the direction of momentum is slower than moving along the momentum. So that's a good place to start. Sometimes, though, subtle effects can for example express determination or vagueness or other shades of attitude in the character when those rules are played with. Generally speaking, timing of durations can also inform the feeling of weight, size, force and direction of each object that is animated.

Some engines don't allow for variable durations, which is fine, too. Every game has its specific priority.
Ryoga

Post by Ryoga »

The game looks great. In its way it reminds me of the game "Chōjin Sentai Jetman" developed by Natsume. Not in the sprites of the characters and enemies but in the style of the game. I hope that soon the ROM of the game is published to be able to play it.
team_disposable

Ryoga, I'm glad you think so! This is my attempt at something like a Blue Shadow, another Natsume game (Shadow of the Ninja in the US), and one I absolutely adore! I should be releasing a ROM next week.

Frankengraphics, I think I get what you mean, although it took me a while to decipher your zen-like comment.The first frame is immediate on attack, which is the swing forward - you think there could be more lean to it? Then the second and third are a lean back and a rest, the completion of the swing. I'll experiment with it a bit and see if I can add more weight to it, probably after the first release. I should say, the timings on the gif aren't the timings in the game.

For sprite timings theres a general update timer for everyone, and then metasprites can "override" it with their own. I use the general one for things like walking, as it saves cycles and space not having to hardcode everything. I did write a whole new animation engine on Monday, which has bugs and I am not using, and the poor prioritisation of which is likely why I missed the deadline!