Super Homebrew War

Moderator: Moderators

8bitMicroGuy

Re: Super Homebrew War

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

I see. May I do a Let's Play on this game? I would just need that the license isn't GPL or ShareAlike, but that it allows me to have my Let's Play not forced to be open source.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

8bitMicroGuy wrote:I see. May I do a Let's Play on this game? I would just need that the license isn't GPL or ShareAlike, but that it allows me to have my Let's Play not forced to be open source.
A Let's Play is a video of the game play, right? Of course you may do a video without it being open source.
tepples

Post by tepples »

My guess is that the worry comes from the combination of two things: game publishers like Nintendo sending Content ID or notices of claimed infringement against certain videos of their games on YouTube, and organizations like Software Freedom Law Center and Software Freedom Conservancy filing suit to enforce the letter of the GNU General Public License against those who distribute covered programs to the public in object code form without making source code available. Though SFLC and Conservancy have so far sued over distribution, not public performance, the game publishers' actions show that public performance is also an exclusive right that might get enforced analogously against makers of gameplay videos.

But if each developer has in fact offered a suitable dual license on the characters for use in the present game, there isn't a problem.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

I understand what he's talking about, but I categorically reject the idea that a game's copyright would cover public performance, no matter what big corporations have tricked the courts into deciding.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

gauauu wrote:I understand what he's talking about, but I categorically reject the idea that a game's copyright would cover public performance, no matter what big corporations have tricked the courts into deciding.
https://opensource.stackexchange.com/qu ... /5192#5192

https://opensource.stackexchange.com/qu ... a-tv-movie

This has been my concern regarding GPL game Let's Plays.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

I've posted a new version today, including:

- Added O from Star Evil
- Added Kaylee from The Cowlitz Gamers 2nd Adventure
- Added a Mage from Micro Mages
- Added a new map based on the title screen of Tailgate Party
- Added a new map based on Micro Mages
- Added trampolines (from Micro Mages)
- Added new item, a star from Micro Mages that makes characters swap places
- Added icons to warn where somebody is respawning to cut down on bad luck by dying from falling enemies
- Tweaks to existing maps for balance/playability
- Misc bug fixes

The download (and updates to the thanks/credits list) is available on the first post.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I guess my own NES games don't have "characters" so to speak.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

tepples wrote:I guess my own NES games don't have "characters" so to speak.
Didn't you have a roly poly demo with a grappling hook?
tepples

Post by tepples »

The Wrecking Ball Boy tech demo was in Python, not for NES. I had planned to port it once I had most of the mechanics in, but I got severe writer's block.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

tepples wrote:I guess my own NES games don't have "characters" so to speak.
Don't worry, something that you worked on should be coming soon, assuming we can pull it together properly and everyone's happy with the result. </purposeful-vagueness>
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

This is looking really great!
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Plans for alternate character palettes? Some set themselves up for it well: Micro Mages, Lizard, Study Hall, for instance all have 4 or more official palettes.

If alt. palettes were to come in, I'd suggest the following for Kaylee:

#31 (default), #34, #38, #3B
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

M_Tee wrote:Plans for alternate character palettes? Some set themselves up for it well: Micro Mages, Lizard, Study Hall, for instance all have 4 or more official palettes.

If alt. palettes were to come in, I'd suggest the following for Kaylee:

#31 (default), #34, #38, #3B
I was just trying to decide whether I was going to implement alternate palettes. This helps for when/if I do!
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Actually, storing three additional palettes for each character could take up a lot of space. Automating it might save space. You could possibly set it up so that if a currently selected character is also selected in a lower player slot, the hue nibble of the middle color of that subpalette gets an offset added to it. So, in P2 slot, +3, in P3 slot +6, in P4 slot +9 (looping from #C to #1 to avoid blacks and greys).
(For instance, #26 for p1 would become #29 for p2, #2C for p3, and #23 for p4).
Increments of three would result in the largest hue difference between all four slots.

These slots.

This would result in the following palettes:

Since Star Evil's O only uses two colors, I included what it'd look like to do it for either. Jammin Honey's sprite was the only one I noticed that didn't follow the Dark, Medium, Light color order. Instead, she is Medium, Dark, Light, so it would result in her hair and guitar changing color, which looks fine. For comparison, I included what it'd look like if her color order was changed to result in her dress changing color as well.

The only character that would definitely need her color order changed would be Kaylee, to place her lightest color in the central slot. (Dark, Light, Medium). This could result in odd-looking items that use that subpalette when she's active, but would be worth it, I think.

...but this is all running off the assumption that coding this would take less space than storing alternate palettes, and that's out of my wheelhouse, so take the suggestion with a grain of salt. :)
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

M_Tee wrote:Actually, storing three additional palettes for each character could take up a lot of space. Automating it might save space.
...but this is all running off the assumption that coding this would take less space than storing alternate palettes, and that's out of my wheelhouse, so take the suggestion with a grain of salt. :)
Whoa, you did all the hard work for me! I was actually hoping to do it this way....It's probably not a whole lot smaller than storing additional palettes, but it's a lot more fun and less tedious. That said, I thought the tedious part was going to be taking the time to test each character and figure out which palette increments to use. So you can't imagine how tickled I was to see your post where you figured it all out. With that initial work out of the way, it should be pretty straightforward. I've added CHR compression on title and background tiles, so I have a good amount of space to work with again, meaning space won't be an issue.
Jammin Honey's sprite was the only one I noticed that didn't follow the Dark, Medium, Light color order. Instead, she is Medium, Dark, Light, so it would result in her hair and guitar changing color, which looks fine.
Good catch. I tried to keep them all dark/med/light so items would be more consistent, but I missed that one.
The only character that would definitely need her color order changed would be Kaylee, to place her lightest color in the central slot. (Dark, Light, Medium). This could result in odd-looking items that use that subpalette when she's active, but would be worth it, I think.
Or I can just cheat and have a hardcoded exception for her, to change her light-color slot instead. (I've already got a number of small character-specific hacks for various things, like the Stickman changing palettes on the dark levels, so one more wouldn't hurt)