2018, what's up?

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: 2018, what's up?

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Yeah at least that was what i was thinking: If your game gets rated third best game overall and best multiplayer, your game is still 3rd best and so on. You keep the highest monetary reward, while the lower pne gets handed to the next best entry that would be valid for that prize. Would that work?

edit: Naturally, someone can't win two monetary prizes by getting a higher tier handed down, either. Then the lower of those two would be passed on accordingly.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

So should we go with 1st, 2nd, 3rd cash prizes + cartridges? Should we poll to see if everyone is on the same page with a 3rd category?
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

I'm not sure i'd call it a category? At least not a category of entries. It'd be more like an award for the entries who meet and rank the proper criterium. I think of it like a film festival where's there's a special award for 'best international film', since they can't compete on the same merits due to the language (here: multiplayer) barrier.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

FrankenGraphics wrote:I'm not sure i'd call it a category? At least not a category of entries. It'd be more like an award for the entries who meet and rank the proper criterium. I think of it like a film festival where's there's a special award for 'best international film', since they can't compete on the same merits due to the language (here: multiplayer) barrier.
I'm down with that. Any suggestions for the award? Are we thinking cash, or something else? We have done SNES mice with NES adapters in the past...
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Just a little update, we are working on some stuff behind the scenes and will try to get something up ASAP.
rychan

Post by rychan »

Just saying I'll try to submit something this year. Although I'll likely fall back to C as opposed to ASM due to time if that's okay?
Probably The "Most Filthy Casual" NES ASM Developer https://refreshgames.co.uk/
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

There’s no problem using C - there are just some limitations to mapper choice and size
rychan

Post by rychan »

Cool! I'm hoping to have Flap Happy ready by September then I'll look into NES game #2!
Probably The "Most Filthy Casual" NES ASM Developer https://refreshgames.co.uk/
Jason Frudnick

Post by Jason Frudnick »

Hey guys check out my new Blaster Master hack. took out the Metroidvania and traded it in for Megaman!
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4082/
https://www.demonoid.pw/files/details/3879389/
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

NESHomebrew wrote:
FrankenGraphics wrote:I'm not sure i'd call it a category? At least not a category of entries. It'd be more like an award for the entries who meet and rank the proper criterium. I think of it like a film festival where's there's a special award for 'best international film', since they can't compete on the same merits due to the language (here: multiplayer) barrier.
I'm down with that. Any suggestions for the award? Are we thinking cash, or something else? We have done SNES mice with NES adapters in the past...
Cash is simple enough. Most anything else increases labor / effort on the awarding end.

I'd say, what, $200?

Although multiplayer can go higher. by definition it starts at 2 players, so $200 seems like a nice round number.

I also posted in the awards thread about the possibility of retroactively awarding best multiplayer for previous years and a suggestion on what seems like the easiest fair way to do so.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Just bumping this a bit. Is the competition definitely happening this year?
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Yes, definitely happening. I'll see if I can get the responses I need by today or tomorrow.
mitch3a

Post by mitch3a »

Bump. :) Honestly, don't really care about cash prizes, mostly just love the community and although I'm planning on starting a game (although I doubt anything more than a beta by end of year), I could see a competition/deadline creating some extra drive for me personally. Bumping the thread cos I assume the sooner everything is posted, the more time folks will have and therefore a chance for more entries.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Deadline will be the same as last year Jan 31st. Main categories will be the same. Basically we are just trying to figure out what the "big picture" is regarding the Full 53 entry compilation cart, and then some prize amounts for multiplayer/remix stuff. I know I said a couple of days, but it's been a chaotic time for some of us. I'd post a preliminary thread, but I'd like the details ironed out first.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

"Full 53 entry compilation cart" meaning this? If so, I'll be happy to answer any questions about that.