Witch n' Wiz - Puzzle Platformer

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: Witch n' Wiz - Puzzle Platformer

Post by lidnariq » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:02 am

No bus conflicts.

Might be better to leave the prevention table present if you're targeting something that's just UNROM, though, and not using any other features.

Goose2k

Post by Goose2k » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:19 pm

First off, here's a little preview of the new Title Screen for the game (by Zolionline).

witchnwiz_title_preview.jpg

Second, thanks to some amazing help from norill, the game has been ported to Mapper 28! It's still using 128 PRG, but should be able to easily trim down to 64kb (there is lots of padding right now).

nes2_mapper28.gif

Goose2k

Post by Goose2k » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:38 pm

Progress is still coming along.

I've updated the game description in the original post to properly reflect the current technical details of the game:
Development Details:
  • Targets Mapper 28 (Action 53) directly, rather than one of the supported discrete mappers.
  • 64KB PRG-ROM + 32 KB CHR-ROM (CHR bank swapping for background animation, currently no plans to write CHR-RAM at runtime).
The full game is currently targeting Mapper 1 (MMC1) with 256KB of Memory (16 x 8KB PRG-ROM + 16 x 8KB CHR-ROM), so this compo build is a bit of a stripped down version of that long term target.
I have done an initial rough pass at getting all memory into the 64KB of PRG-ROM, and everything is working, with lots of room to spare actually.

mapper_28_memory.png

The title screen I teased in the previous post is now in game along with credits.

nes2_boot_flow.gif
nes2_boot_flow.gif (82.78 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
(or watch the whole thing running on real hardware: video)

My current todo list to get this to a shippable state (I hope to do more beyond this) is:
  • Polish "level complete" sequence.
  • Ending (cutscene or something).
  • Music and Sound.
  • Remove SRAM usage (and rework rewind system to not depend on it, as well as come up with a design for the game if there is no "best time" to work towards.

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:48 pm

Goose2k wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:38 pm
current technical details of the game:
[...]
64KB PRG-ROM + 32 KB CHR-ROM
Just to be paranoid, because this isn't the fun kind of thing to find out later: you're eventually planning on compressing the CHR data so that you only use 64KB total, right?

Goose2k

Post by Goose2k » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:22 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:48 pm
Goose2k wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:38 pm
current technical details of the game:
[...]
64KB PRG-ROM + 32 KB CHR-ROM
Just to be paranoid, because this isn't the fun kind of thing to find out later: you're eventually planning on compressing the CHR data so that you only use 64KB total, right?
No. From what I have read, that isn't needed, but maybe I misunderstood.

From tepples via discord:
norill01/09/2021
@PinoBatch question regarding compo, does the menu program handle decompressing and uploading CHR into RAM?

PinoBatch01/09/2021
Yes, if your game has CHR ROM.

mhughson01/09/2021
Oh, so the games don't need to be made using CHR RAM?

PinoBatch01/09/2021
Thwaite was in volume 1 and was NROM-128.
Quite a few of volume 1 and 2 were NROM. Official support for CNROM landed in volume 3.
Am I misunderstanding what this means?

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:32 pm

I believe you have a budget of 64KB total (after any CHR compression). Obviously, consult with someone who's actually in charge instead of going on my memory.

Goose2k

Post by Goose2k » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:00 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:32 pm
I believe you have a budget of 64KB total (after any CHR compression). Obviously, consult with someone who's actually in charge instead of going on my memory.
Confirmed that you are correct. Thanks for catching that!
PinoBatchToday at 3:45 PM
If your PRG ROM plus CHR ROM exceed 64 KiB, then you need to do your own compression on the CHR data to fit it in PRG ROM.

Goose2k

Post by Goose2k » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:50 pm

I haven't been posting much, but work has continued! Thanks to @norill, the game is now running inside the 64kb limit, and makes use of CHR-RAM! Still not out of the woods since the game isn't done yet, but things are looking promising!

Tui has started getting sound and music into the game, and it's really starting to fell like a real game now (I'll share some music later, once he signs off on it).

Kenneth and Zoltan have continued to pump out great looking art for the game (mostly minor tweaks at this point).

I've started working on a key scene, "the magic mirror", featured above. Still not finished, but it's looking cool so far!

If you want to get more regular updates, with lots short behind the scene gifs and stuff, follow me on any of these social platforms:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/matthughson
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2788404591447894
Discord: https://discord.gg/DenmA4ssPY
Attachments
nes2_mirror_white.gif