Windows 10 (1803) getting slower by the day?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: Windows 10 (1803) getting slower by the day?

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I know the batteries will degrade no matter if they are used or not, but that seems rediculous. I wonder if it would have made a difference as to whether or not you had it attached to the computer when plugged in.

Post by 93143 »

Maybe. Seems stupid not to have charge protection on a laptop battery, but no, I did not remove it while the computer was plugged in. I had no idea this level of degradation was possible.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Drew Sebastino wrote:I wonder if it would have made a difference as to whether or not you had it attached to the computer when plugged in.
That was definitely a known problem for some devices/batteries for a while, though I believe that tends not to matter in most devices nowadays?

Batteries are definitely one of the laptop components that will inevitably wear out. Most other parts will last a long time under normal use but the batteries will have a continual decline in capacity over use.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

rainwarrior wrote:Batteries are definitely one of the laptop components that will inevitably wear out. Most other parts will last a long time under normal use
Maybe all the electrical components, but everything surrounding them is so chintzy. Frail plastic vent covers, thin aluminum hinge pieces, plastic tabs galore and plastic screw mounts where there are screws...
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Oh, yeah hinges in particular fail a lot too. That's a big omission on my part ha ha.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

2 computers with dead batteries (an old 2010 netbook and a computer I received from work for the kids) so this is something that is always an issue. I'm sure the mac battery will die soon too, which is a shame since it is in a not so bad shape for a computer used everyday at work and changing batteries on mac is becoming more and more expensive (maybe not so bad for a 2013 but still). I had so many issues with that model that I'm not much interested to put more money on it. I'm just happy that it was mostly paid by the office since I would have been quite mad with all the issues I had.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Something I had been thinking about writing but wasn't sure it was worth another thread, is whether or not bare-metal programming is a thing for old PC hardware? There are several videos of people repurposing old computers to do simple home tasks, but they all run under an old version of Windows or Linux, which I don't see the point, although one could argue why not if it will run.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

You only do bare metal on MS-DOS and only to talk to sound stuff, interrupt stuff, sometimes timer and keyboard and some aspects of video hardware (letting BIOS do most of the work).
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

What TmEE said.

On a x86, unless you want to build yourself an OS, you don't go bare metal. During the dos days it was more common to access the hardware directly. I liked that time. I liked making my own custom code to write colorful string at 0xB800 since it was too slow to use the BIOS call for these. And VGA 320x200 at 0xA000 was a plain 64k buffer. I did try to use the unchained mode but at that time I was still raw programming wise and didn't understand much. Now I would have no issue to write the code but we don't need to access theses anymore :lol:
Zutano

Post by Zutano »

There's lots of advantages to not going bare-metal on computers that can handle an OS. What happens when that old computer that's doing home automation tasks dies? If you wrote in a higher-level language in a Linux environment, you could safely move everything to another Linux environment without worrying about hardware changes.
http://zutanogames.com/ <-- my dev blog
jmorgan1993

Post by jmorgan1993 »

I have also noticed it, but have ignored it. I have upgraded my PC OS from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. It is taking a bit time for it to open and shut down is longer compared before.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Since my computer is 10 years old it is easier to notice since the impact seems bigger :lol: The older build were not that slow. I don't know what they did, more telemetry, superfetch or like I mentioned, a possibility about meltdown/spectre patch, but it became slower somehow and I don't know if it is something that I installed or the OS itself.

If it was something that I installed that is causing some process to run in the background all the time then it would happens all the time but this is not the case. I guess for now the only thing I can do is ignore it and that it doesn't get too bad. On my latest computer which I barely use windows at work (I'm using linux instead), when I'm using windows I don't see those slowdown but the performance of that computer is like night and day in specs so I guess even though it could be slow with the specs it has I do not see the slowdown at all.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

What are the specs of your computer? My computer is also 10 years old, and it has a Pentium Dual Core (I don't remember the frequency) with 3GB of ram, and now, an SSD. I'm away from it, but I can give you better info if you need it.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

It's a core 2 duro 3.giz (E8400) with 4 gigs of ram. For now it has only hdd (10 years old too) that I hope I can update someday. Before windows 10, especially the latest version, it was not so bad but it seems to be getting slower. Some time it starts "grinding" the hd and you see either telemetry, supefetch or other system process doing "something". Sometime killing the telemetry process speed it up.

For now I'm just using another computer for dev. I guess when I will be able to change the hd it will make a difference and hopefully stabilize it. I still like that computer, it's working well.
tepples

Post by tepples »

With light use (Firefox, cc65, GIMP, an NES emulator, devkitARM, and mGBA), a Windows 10 PC with 4 GB of RAM should run fine after telemetry, update, and SuperFetch have had a chance to run. SuperFetch is supposed to read the most commonly used files into the disk cache. In fact, even on X11/Linux laptops, I have set up Xfce to run a login script in the background that runs a bunch of programs with --help (niced to maximum) so that the executable at least gets loaded into RAM.

A few things might cause the problems you're having with Windows:
  • Third-party updater contention (since Windows 2000)
    Some third-party applications schedule a task every time the user logs in to connect to the Internet and check for released updates in the background. A lot of these running at once can cause a conventional HDD, with its low input and output operations per second (IOPS), to fall behind. The same problem comes with services to interact with third-party peripherals, such as an iPod media player or a Fitbit fitness watch, whose control sits in the taskbar's notification area (called the "tray" by some).
  • New PC growing pains (since introduction of SuperFetch in Windows Vista)
    SuperFetch doesn't know what you regularly use until you've used your computer for a week. In addition, there tend to be a lot more updates on a freshly installed PC or for the preinstalled Windows on a new PC. And because many updates depend on another update having been applied and the computer having been restarted, getting a Windows PC fully up to date needs multiple restarts. Indexing all text documents on your HDD for full-text search is also not without cost, but at least the contention for this ends once Windows Search has completed its index in the background.
  • Live tiles contention (since introduction of live tiles in Windows 8)
    When you first log in, the PC's RAM is empty, and SuperFetch starts filling it with cacheable items. But animated "live tiles" on the Start menu have to share the HDD's seeking with SuperFetch and update.
So if you can't increase the IOPS by migrating Windows to an SSD, and you can't decrease the overall I/O load by switching from Windows to X11/Linux, you'll want to do three things:
  1. Uninstall unused applications, especially those with live tiles on the Start menu.
  2. Use your computer for a week or two so that SuperFetch knows what to fetch and what not to fetch.
  3. After you log in, go do something else until the HDD settles.