It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:16 am 

Someone has requested that I integrate my Pently audio driver with a Windows-only IDE known not to run in Wine or Mono. Switching between Windows, which contains the dev environment for this project, and Xubuntu, which contains the dev environment for other projects to which I am attached, takes several minutes on this laptop with 4 GB of RAM and a conventional HDD. What steps can I take to speed this up without spending a lot of money on hardware upgrades?

The alternative is to find some way to upgrade this request (that is, unpaid) to a commission (that is, paid), in order to cover the cost of other approaches I considered:

1. Buying a second PC
  2. Buying more RAM and a non-OEM Windows license in order to run Windows in a VM; I'd need more RAM because dual booted Windows already takes 2.7 GB of my laptop's 4 GB of RAM, not leaving much for the host operating system if virtualized (or apps for that matter)
  3. Buying an SSD and an enclosure to migrate all my data

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:52 am 

SSD will provide biggest improvement with this problem. RAM is only going to alleviate slowness related issues when the bootup process is complete.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:07 am 

I was thinking RAM in order to be able to run Windows in a VM in the first place. But a 480 GB SSD + USB SATA enclosure looks like something I could pay for out of pocket. How hard is it to migrate Windows and Xubuntu installations from the 500 GB HDD that the laptop shipped with to a 480 GB SSD? Or would it better to do clean installs and forfeit my grandfathered Dropbox installations greater than three?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:02 am 

You shouldn't feel obligated to buy a VM, nor a 2nd machine just for 1 NESmaker user.

My opinion. You shouldn't have to put in more time and resources than the person using it.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:40 pm 

dougeff wrote:
You shouldn't feel obligated to buy a VM, nor a 2nd machine just for 1 NESmaker user.

My opinion. You shouldn't have to put in more time and resources than the person using it.

Well, the user he linked to was Joe, Mr NESmaker himself.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:04 pm 

I'm in agreement with dougeff.

Though on the subject of setting up a Windows VM for free, you can download and install the Windows 10 and never activate it. The restrictions of un-activated Windows 10 are mostly cosmetic, and it has no time limit:. Runs fine on VirtualBox.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Though TBH the time it takes to install and set up Windows 10 in a VM is probably going to be a few hours, and the startup times aren't going to be swift. A several minute hardware reboot cycle might not be that much slower than trying to wake the suspended VM... but at least you can run both at once for back and forth testing.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

tepples wrote:
How hard is it to migrate Windows and Xubuntu installations from the 500 GB HDD that the laptop shipped with to a 480 GB SSD?

When I copied my laptop drive to a much smaller SSD, I ended up just using software that came with the USB enclosure (maybe it was NTI Echo, that's what is still installed on there), it will reclaim unused space to resize the partitions. Other than that, you should run some kind of tool to check and align the partitions with the SSD. I guess the cloning software might do that already these days, one would hope.