It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How do I shot web[site]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:50 am 

I've somehow foolishly gotten myself tangled up in an internet community that's about to shut down due to their sysadmin retiring at the end of the year. I can't actually help them directly, because I know exactly two things about running a web server, those being jack and squat.

But I've always wanted to learn, and now seems like as good a time as ever, even if I don't make it in time. I know there are at least three people here with experience on the subject, so: any advice before I stick my hand into this meat grinder? Where to start, or what to learn before I start?

I'm beginning with the assumption that I should start small, serving a few static web pages on my local PC, then onto a VM or similar before I even try to mess with hosting, DNS etcetera on the public internet. If that's wildly off, or I'm missing something important, please don't hesitate to correct me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:27 am 

You can install xampp to play around locally, and there are many tutorials on webhostingtalk.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:25 am 

You appear to have realized why start your own website: to prevent the rug from being pulled from under you. That's farther than a lot of people get because they are unwilling to leave behind silos and their recommendation engines. Now you want to know how.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:11 am 

Thanks for the links, tepples. I feel I should clarify that a) the site I mentioned in the OP is going down because it's on a private server, which they no longer have anyone to maintain, and b) my interest in so-called 'silos' is so low that the articles you linked to read like a strawman argument.

I'm too old and cranky for social networking. What I want to learn is how to be a proper sysadmin, instead of the armchair Linux nerd I am now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:41 pm 

Okay, let's say I have a VPS or something, where I'm doing all the software myself. Does anyone have a checklist or summary of things I have to set up?

I'm asking because I only just now learned there are a bunch of 'standard' email addresses every domain is supposed to have, and I'm wondering what else I missed, but I'm so ignorant I don't even know what to look for.