Homebrews with female characters

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

DRW

Re: Homebrews with female characters

Post by DRW » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:04 pm

Nikku4211 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:04 pm
And why is that?
Well, if you have vampire hunters, military soldiers, martial artists etc. on one side, then you want an equally badass woman as a female representative.
If my collection of action movies consists of Schwarzenegger, Stallone and Chuck Norris movies and I think the list could need some action babe, I'm not settling for "Harriet the Spy".

Nikku4211 wrote:
And if so, why is a high school student in your criteria?
Because with highscool girl, I don't mean some 12 year old. Highschool girls are included because they can also be this:
Juliette.png
Juliette.png (161.66 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Pokun wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:17 pm
I agree with Oziphantom that the Metroid series wouldn't work as well with a male protagonist, since they made a thing of the mother-and-child roles
[...]
Other M
O.k., but now we're moving far away from the NES or even the Super Nintendo. If my search had included modern consoles, I'm pretty sure I would have found a ton of games with female protagonists.

Also, I don't care whether the story works with it. I was talking about games that clearly show an actual human female character visibly on-screen. If I don't take the Japanese version of "City Connection" because your sprite is a car, even though the driver is supposed to be a woman, why should I care for plot implications in "Metroid"? Samus' sprite is still hidden in a full-body robot suit. Mother-theme or not: Samus Aran's femininity isn't on display in the same sense Lara Croft's is. Especially not in the NES game where her gender is explicitly kept a secret.
My game "City Trouble": www.denny-r-walter.de/city.htm

nin-kuuku

Post by nin-kuuku » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:45 pm

DRW wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:04 pm
Samus' sprite is still hidden in a full-body robot suit. Mother-theme or not: Samus Aran's femininity isn't on display in the same sense Lara Croft's is. Especially not in the NES game where her gender is explicitly kept a secret.
JUSTIN BAILEY

DRW

Post by DRW » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:50 pm

nin-kuuku wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:45 pm
JUSTIN BAILEY
We already went over this: It's a secret code. It's not how you normally play the game and it's not how the story happened canonically. Samus without her suit is not the proper, default way to experience the game, it's an added bonus. You don't need to enter a code to see Lara Croft's face and body.

nin-kuuku

Post by nin-kuuku » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:06 pm

DRW wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:50 pm
nin-kuuku wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:45 pm
JUSTIN BAILEY
We already went over this: It's a secret code. It's not how you normally play the game and it's not how the story happened canonically. Samus without her suit is not the proper, default way to experience the game, it's an added bonus. You don't need to enter a code to see Lara Croft's face and body.
OK, it was in the first page. Anyway my next game (if I ever get sober enough to code anything) is Haunted Hills 2: Revenge of The Bloodlines with the boobchick.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:29 pm

I've been planning a puzzle game since forever back, which I always thought should have a female lead. She will probably not satisfy OP's action girl requirements though, as she would fight with magic.

DRW

Post by DRW » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 pm

Magic isn't really the problem. I'm more worried about the term "puzzle game". Or at least I would be if I was still in the same situation from 2015. But today, the whole discussion is purely academic for me. I'm not looking for a game with a female protagonist anymore since I programmed "City Trouble" which has a female main character that fulfills all my requirements.

Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:01 pm

DRW wrote:
Nikku4211 wrote:
And why is that?
Well, if you have vampire hunters, military soldiers, martial artists etc. on one side, then you want an equally badass woman as a female representative.
If my collection of action movies consists of Schwarzenegger, Stallone and Chuck Norris movies and I think the list could need some action babe, I'm not settling for "Harriet the Spy".
No, I wasn't asking about the 'woman' part, both questions were about the 'grown-up' part.
DRW wrote:
Nikku4211 wrote:
And if so, why is a high school student in your criteria?
Because with highscool girl, I don't mean some 12 year old. Highschool girls are included because they can also be this:
What difference does their age make? If this is solely about puberty making girls' entire body shapes... unique, why does that matter?

Also, speaking from experience(I graduated from 12th grade highschool this year), most high school girls look more like 12 year olds than that character you posted, who looks 30.

Oh, and by the way, kids can start high school at age 13 if they're born after September. I was one of them.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.

Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:54 pm

Nikku4211 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:06 am
Oziphantom wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:11 am
In a weird twist of fate. I was lookup up some GBA games, to which I discovered there is a GBA Pocky & Rocky game.( I loved I and II on the SNES). However it turns out that Pocky and Rocky is actually the sequel already. The original game is KiKi KaiKai which was ported to the FDS and only has Sayo-chan. Seems it is known as Kiki Kaikai - Dotou Hen and requires patches to work http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6504
Pocky would fit, except OP doesn't want games where the female is in a group with a male, and the raccoon dog is male here.
DRW wrote:I might not have bothered if the player 2 character is simply an animal companion.

The main reason why those games didn't match my criteria is because when I say female, I mean an actual grown-up woman. Or at least a high school student. But the definite female main character in my game list should not be some eight year old girl.
Kiki KaiKai doesn't have Pocky, they were added in the sequel to allow for 2 players. The Original is single player only however the FDS version does add a second player, but in the form of Miki another Shrine Maiden(Miki returns in Pocky & Rocky Advance, and is known as Becky in the English version.) She is a young Shrine Maiden but that doesn't mean she is 8 years old. She would have to be at least 13/14. However yes she is a no Jill Valentine.

Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:09 pm

Oziphantom wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:54 pm
Kiki KaiKai doesn't have Pocky, they were added in the sequel to allow for 2 players. The Original is single player only however the FDS version does add a second player, but in the form of Miki another Shrine Maiden(Miki returns in Pocky & Rocky Advance, and is known as Becky in the English version.) She is a young Shrine Maiden but that doesn't mean she is 8 years old. She would have to be at least 13/14. However yes she is a no Jill Valentine.
Oh hey look, a high school age! Now you can start being weird over them!

DRW

Post by DRW » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:24 am

Nikku4211 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:01 pm
No, I wasn't asking about the 'woman' part, both questions were about the 'grown-up' part.
Yes, I know. And I answered it like that: Since most games have grown-up men and not boys, the token female should be a woman, not a girl.
If the male heroes are Mario, Simon Belmont, Ryu Hayabusa, Bill Rizer, Thomas the Kung Fu guy, Jay McCray etc. and I decide that I also want a female hero, then I will equally look for a grown-up woman, not for a six or eight year old girl.

If there were a whole bunch of female main characters in my list (after all, Link from "Zelda 1" is also a boy) or if I took the "Pocky & Rocky" games because of their gameplay, without focusing on the main character, then it would be fine. But in my specific task to have one game with a definite female main character, I want a real woman. For that specific attribute, I don't want a yellow ball, I don't want a cat, I don't want a robot, I don't want a woman hidden behind a robot suit, nor do I want just a spaceship that is supposed to have a female pilot. And I don't want a child. My favorite female videogame heroine shall be an adult woman.

A teenager would also be alright because in fiction, teenagers are usually more similar to adults than they are to kids. If "Ghoul School" had a female protagonist (and the gameplay wouldn't be meh), this would have been alright. That would have been pretty much the videogame equivalent of Buffy Summers who is supposed to be 16 in the plot, but was played by a 20 year old.

But children are still children. And I cannot look at that "Pocky and Rocky" girl and say: "That's my sexy badass action heroine on the NES."

Oziphantom wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:54 pm
She is a young Shrine Maiden but that doesn't mean she is 8 years old. She would have to be at least 13/14.
Nikku4211 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:09 pm
Oh hey look, a high school age! Now you can start being weird over them!
She certainly looks like she's 8 though. Therefore, in my eyes, she's a child. The artist drew her as a child.

Just like Princess Jasmine from "Aladdin": She is 15 according to the plot, but the artist certainly didn't draw her like that. Her character model is clearly designed according to a 20-something year old woman.

It's the same in movies and TV shows: The gardener in "Desperate Housewives" with whom Gabrielle had an affair was supposed to be a 15 year old minor. He was played by a 25 year old who looked and talked like a 25 year old.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:02 am

Live-action work in a high school setting usually uses 25+ years old actors and gets away with it. Probably it's much harder to find enough good actors that are actually in high school age.

Disregarding the chibi artstyle, Sayo-chan from Kiki-Kaikai looks closer to 20 to me. She is Asian, so she should naturally have a more juvenile look than a westerner or it would look weird. But she isn't the strong and sexy action girl type that OP is looking for, but much closer to a cute mahoushoujo.

Nikku4211 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:01 pm
Oh, and by the way, kids can start high school at age 13 if they're born after September. I was one of them.
That would be a local rule. Globally speaking, high school girl usually means around 16 to 18 years old.

DRW wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 pm
Magic isn't really the problem. I'm more worried about the term "puzzle game". Or at least I would be if I was still in the same situation from 2015. But today, the whole discussion is purely academic for me. I'm not looking for a game with a female protagonist anymore since I programmed "City Trouble" which has a female main character that fulfills all my requirements.
It would be an action puzzle game kind of like Eggerland or even Solomon's Key. But she would also be a typical mahoushoujo, like Arle Nadja or Lip from Panel de Pon, and not a sexy and dependent action girl. Though she would be a grownup, or at least at high school age.

DRW

Post by DRW » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 am

Pokun wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:02 am
Live-action work in a high school setting usually uses 25+ years old actors and gets away with it. Probably it's much harder to find enough good actors that are actually in high school age.
I found it funny that "Dawson's Creek" had these adults playing teenagers. And then many years later, in the last season, there were some teenagers the same age that Dawson and Joey were in season 1, and this time they looked like 15 year olds because they actually took younger actors.

Pokun wrote:
the strong and sexy action girl type that OP is looking for
Was looking for. I want to point out again that the intention of this thread is not relevant for me anymore. When people name certain games, I'll gladly explain why they wouldn't make my list.

(And as I said: I have seen every official NES game. You literally cannot surprise me anymore, unless you find some unknown prototype or can point me to a homebrew or some obscure Chinese game that isn't in the GoodNES list. And yes, I was also already aware of "KiKi KaiKai" when I started the thread.)

So, I'm willing to answer this thread whenever anybody makes a suggestion or asks some meta questions about it. But as far as the desire to actually find such a game is concerned, I'm not searching anymore since I have this now:

City Trouble.png
City Trouble.png (121.9 KiB) Viewed 444 times

Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:50 am

Oh, cool that you eventually made your game.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna make a thread asking for 'homebrews with fembois'.

Just kidding. I'm not going to make such a useless thread like that.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:24 pm

Just as long as you remember what you learned about spamming earlier, whether or not you intended it to be spam.

DRW wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 am
Pokun wrote:
the strong and sexy action girl type that OP is looking for
Was looking for. I want to point out again that the intention of this thread is not relevant for me anymore. When people name certain games, I'll gladly explain why they wouldn't make my list.
Yeah I got all what you said earlier. I'm also intending any further discussion to be purely academic, since it has already served its original purpose.

Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Pokun wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:24 pm
Just as long as you remember what you learned about spamming earlier, whether or not you intended it to be spam.
Yeah, I'll try to refrain from ever posting again.