It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Computer Game Ideas
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 pm 

I have various idea of computer games and also any other people will have; please write your own idea of computer games.

• One idea I have is a puzzle game for the Famicom, with pieces placed on the grid, which in addition to individual tiles is also split into 2x2 areas, each of which can contain no more than one non-white color of pieces; attempting to move a yellow piece into a 2x2 area already containg a red one will result in the piece not being moved.
  • You have to save the monsters from various things (other monsters, human sorcerers, the weather, etc), and touching any monsters (good or bad) by bare hands causes instant death; therefore you have to wear gloves. However, gloves prevent you from wearing rings and activating fingerprint scanners, and takes up part of your maximum carrying weight. Gloves can be used for other things too.
  • Another idea of computer game is a cross of Tetris and pinball; the flippers could also move the tetris blocks left/right, and then you can nudge the table to make the ball bounce off of the blocks in certain ways, which are worth different number of points; maybe four lines at once gives you a ball saver.
  • Pokemon game for Z-machine.
  • Sokoban with geometry that can be changed using consumable items.
  • A game using the actual positions of the planets, dwarf planets, sun, moon to affect the rules of the game (possibly in real-time!).
  • Roguelike where any kind of creature in the game is suitable as player characters, NPCs good/evil/low/chaos/etc is not based on their species, any class can be chosen by anyone, including multiclassing, magic is really strange and involves prime numbers and other mathematics (category theory?) somehow, and killing the same kind of creature many times reduces the XP bonus gained from it each time so that eventually it even becomes negative (and becomes even more negative over time).
  • Platform game where various things displayed to you are delayed by different amounts, requiring various tactics to get past things that are unknown (especially since it can be random in some ways).
  • Pokemon game where the computer is psychic, always knows how the dice are going to fall on this and the next turn, and always knows your command before it decides its own command; furthermore, some things don't always work as you might expect.
  • A game for the Famicom with enough commands that you need all of the keys on the keyboard, as well as the mouse, and one standard controller.
  • an grand theft auto ish game where you play as an NKVD agent in alt-history xinjiang. (This one is from someone else; not me)

Maybe I will program it (or perhaps not), or anyone can expand on it; however, please don't restrict anyone else from making a game like the same thing.

Last edited by zzo38 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Computer Game Ideas
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 pm 

It's Pac-Man, but it's years later and Pac-Man has turned into a hapless drunk. Unlike before, you're shitting the pellets back onto the board. The ghosts are furious at this desecration of what could be considered their home, and are trying to usher your sorry inebriated ass out of there.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:41 pm 

Few years ago I was actually making a kind of reversed Pac-Man game for SMD where only the power pellets available on the level initially. The goal is to eat all the ghosts, but when Pacman eats one of the power pellets, the ghosts are scared so much, so they start to leave shitty pellets behind them, and Pacman does not like eating the shit, he could eat some, but changes the color from yellow to green and gets game over. So the player has to catch ghosts avoiding chasing them directly, and choosing safe, 'shitless' routes. The game was in more or less playable prototype state, I have forgot why I abandoned the project and not sure where it is now (backuped somewhere).

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:27 am 

Lots of your ideas remind me of the stuff that comes from here: https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux

Some of it is plain silly, some of it is pretty intriguing.

Quote:
Another idea of computer game is a cross of Tetris and pinball; the flippers could also move the tetris blocks left/right, and then you can nudge the table to make the ball bounce off of the blocks in certain ways, which are worth different number of points; maybe four lines at once gives you a ball saver.

Not even REALLY similar, but this line of thinking reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3McsgkVx9xM
Which was created based on a molydeux idea.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:36 am 

Let me reach into my potato sack of unutilized computer game crap ideas:

Alice in Wonderland adventure game (in the style of old Sierra AGI DOS games)
-'nuff said

A Cross Between Contra & Tetris:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Ywxox2kvM#t=20s

Wizard of Oz beat 'em up (okay, this is more of an arcade idea)
-seriously, think about it!
-three players: Scarecrow, TinMan, Lion (Dorothy is non-playable & follows you around)
-hacking, clawing, & beating up wolves & flying monkeys

Shiru wrote:
Few years ago I was actually making a kind of reversed Pac-Man game for SMD where only the power pellets available on the level initially. The goal is to eat all the ghosts, but when Pacman eats one of the power pellets, the ghosts are scared so much, so they start to leave shitty pellets behind them, and Pacman does not like eating the shit, he could eat some, but changes the color from yellow to green and gets game over. So the player has to catch ghosts avoiding chasing them directly, and choosing safe, 'shitless' routes. The game was in more or less playable prototype state, I have forgot why I abandoned the project and not sure where it is now (backuped somewhere).

If there could be a legitimate way to get this on Kickstarter, I'd throw at least 10 bucks at it.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:10 am 

I like your ideas too, and some of Peter Molydeux but I think many of the ideas from Peter Molydeux are not very good. (Nevertheless, this is what happen; you post many different things and a few of them happen to be good.)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:27 am 

Another computer game idea I have is based on a diagram I remember that someone drew for me once. It was a directed graph; the nodes were drawn as faces, some of which had wavy lines above. The faces without wavy lines represented good monsters and the ones with wavy lines represented bad monsters. Probably additional kinds of pieces should be added, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:56 pm 

This thread is a bit old, but I have more to add:
  • Platformer game, in which you have a fixed jump which is high enough that you are hurt when you fall down (so, landing on a higher platform, or on a soft surface, might save you, though; I have once made up a prototype of something like this but I don't have it now)
  • Game that you have to prevent all the magnets from touching each other
  • Two tetris games played simultaneously, with the same keys, where each board gives you the shape which is worst for the other board (or one of the three worst selected randomly)
  • Pool ball but instead of the holes, you have to break the blocks with the non-white balls
  • Game that you can pick up earn spells, but it tries to give you the worst spell for this situation
  • Five-dimensional pong with wii-remotes
  • Tetris with sounds only, and no picture (how difficult would it be to play?)
  • Duck Hunt style game, but you have to use the joystick and you have to push the correct button A/B/C according to the A/B/C writing on the target, and if the cursor collides with a bomb then you lose (even if you do not push a button)
  • Game where you have some magic points that you can use to change the entire laws of physics and game rules

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:
Alice in Wonderland adventure game (in the style of old Sierra AGI DOS games)
Maybe other way would be as a plain text adventure game; I like better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:24 pm 

zzo38 wrote:
Tetris with sounds only, and no picture (how difficult would it be to play?)

Once I mocked that up for PC. Each piece had its own sound effect when it entered "next": for example, the S was two ascending tones, and the L was a noise burst and a low tone. Each time the piece moved sideways, the game would beep with a pitch corresponding to the horizontal position of the piece's center. I pulled it off my web site in June 2012 when I learned that The Tetris Company had successfully sued someone; at that point, various things that Alexey Pajitnov had said against free software made me feel like disassociating myself entirely from Tetris.

Quote:
Duck Hunt style game, but you have to use the joystick and you have to push the correct button A/B/C according to the A/B/C writing on the target, and if the cursor collides with a bomb then you lose (even if you do not push a button)

EA's Boom Boom Rocket anywhere near close?

Quote:
Game where you have some magic points that you can use to change the entire laws of physics and game rules

There is Eversion, a side-scroller whose levels have points where the player can slip to a higher or lower level of grimdark, and blocks' properties change at certain levels. There's also some sort of Mario/Tetris mash-up called "Tuper Tario" that I played on some Flash game site where the player could switch between dropping blocks (as in Tetris) and jumping on them (as in Tetris'D).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:04 am 

I've been working on a game where it is a platformer but all input is done with a tedious hierarchical input menu that only shows 4 things at once, and it sometimes scrambles the options.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:17 pm 

mikejmoffitt wrote:
I've been working on a game where it is a platformer but all input is done with a tedious hierarchical input menu that only shows 4 things at once, and it sometimes scrambles the options.
Interesting idea...Do you have some more details? (I have actually thought of idea of platform game where the controls will be randomized! I was playing HOCUS once; I know of the cheat code FEELGOOD (someone showed me) to full heal (although I didn't use it after that anyways), and I decided maybe there should be another cheat code FEELBAD which randomizes the controls.) (Another note, which might possibly be of a few interest, is the controls I prefer on a platform game on a PC is to use left and right shift keys to move, space to jump, and ZXCVBNM,./ to shoot. This is unusual, but I prefer it.)