Reproduction carts board/forum/section

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you feel a separate "Reproduction carts" board/forum would be beneficial?

Yes
71%
No
8%
I don't care either way
16%
Other (please explain in a follow-up post)
5%

Total votes: 113

tepples

Re: Reproduction carts board/forum/section

Post by tepples »

Created. Let the flagfest begin. I wonder if giving you probationary moderator privileges on just those two forums will let you do the moves.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

In the forum description, I don't believe that ones own work, or homebrew at all should be categorized with reproductions. Discussion about production of original stuff surely is better served in NES hardware section. We all know that "repro" is simply copying something, taken literally, that was produced in the past. Not like developing something. I guess it kinda bugs me too, that recently I've noticed more people referring to repro carts as "homebrew".

Thanks for taking initiative, tepples.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

The "Rules" box is utterly unreadable in the "old nesdev" theme (which happens to be the default theme), being light gray text on a light yellow background. I can only assume that it's more readable in Subsilver.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Yeah. I don't have privileges at the moment to edit the Reproductions forums or the stuff tepples has made yet. As for rules and the description of the subforum: It appears that most threads have to do with reproduction of others' work; namely unreleased and imported titles on other mapping configurations. The rules should be: Do not reproduce modern homebrew less than 10 years old. And do not advertise or market your reproductions on the forum. As for the subforum description: A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I'll post in phpBB Issues later about the rules being unreadable.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

A big THANK YOU for the moderators.

Now all this s**t will be congestionned in this forum alone and I'll be able to finally completely ignore it without being bothered.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Just wanted to thank the mods too. Repro talk is IMO the most annoying thing in the retro gaming scene, so I'm really glad it's all been isolated in its own section.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Took care of the forum rules CSS/visual issues when using the default "old nesdev (wwwthreads)" style.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Rules colors still look really awful. :oops: White and yellow on peach is what I see with latest Mac Firefox. Perhaps if the background color is peach we can use black text and blue links?

Also the Hardware subforums will need a rule to refer those used to posting reproduction questions/concerns into the Reproduction subforum. I can make a sticky post if y'all want; or do you want to make another color-schemed rules bulletin?
freem

Post by freem »

You might need to do a hard refresh if you've loaded the repro forum beforehand; I had to do that in order for the new style to show up.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

phpBB has some ridiculously stupid "caching" mechanism combined with bizarre (i.e. stupid) design choices when it comes to "themes" (a fancy word for CSS) (note I did not say "styles", I said "themes"). A simple page reload in a browser should pick up the changed CSS (when viewing the board in question), but obviously that's not ideal for everyone.

I've gone ahead and "purged the phpBB cache", which is about as vague as it gets. Whether or not it fixes things so people don't have to reload I don't know; the docs are not clear on what this actually does. I can experiment further if needed (I have no problem busting out curl and/or other tools to look at cached content vs. uncached content).

Those who are curious can Google and find references to using a "Refresh" button within phpBB's ACP when tinkering with themes, but what isn't made clear is that the "Refresh" button actually throws away changes you've made. You see, changes are stored in MySQL, not as a flat files, and the "Refresh" button resorts back to whatever the flat file version was (and which is apparently gone in newer versions anyway), so there's no chance in hell I'm using that button. :P
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

OK. Finished. I moved all the obvious and not-so-obvious repro threads over. There may be a few stragglers but I believe I'm done for the moment. If you deem my services completed you can remove the hat. :)

Edit: Kind of funny that the most common repro threads are related to SMB2J, and the post count of repros exceeds both Graphics and Homebrew subforums.
tepples

Post by tepples »

All the moved posts ended up on my unread posts page. Over the next week or so I'll gradually be going through them to make sure there are no blatant rule violations.
Myask

Post by Myask »

Edge/missed Cases:

How about SNES repros? Are they (ex 1) (ex 2) (ex 3) (ex 4) (ex 5) supposed to be in this new forum? (only first 5 pages of SNESdev checked)

What about creating carts of ROM-hacks? There are a number of threads of that that seem to have been left out as well. (Apparently, they go in.)

Should discussing the workings/failings of reproduction carts made by others be in there?

Should creation of fan-compiled multicarts of official games be there?

Should hacking games to work on other mappers be there? (Probably not?)

Should dumping of reprocarts be there? (Probably not?)

One wonders about the difference between reproductions and "replacement carts."

The following thread(s) were simply missed: one two three four five (Hmm, coinheaven seems to have a lot of these.) six

Why did I do this? --all pages of HW/Flash forum skimmed
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I think all that you listed belong to Repro section, because it's not relevant for any other purpose than repro.