It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:39 am 

just wondering if anyone seen that controler that has a bunch of nes games in it being sold on the streets now adays? you plug it into the tv and wala, 100's of nes games with poor output video quality. anyone here work on it?

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:34 pm 

Yea, I've seen it... Sort of looks like a Nintendo 64 controller. I think they just hacked the majority of the games in there so that they work properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:10 am 

hmm, seems like it would be easier to modify some of the open source emus out there. this is why I ask, Im wondering if anyones work is being pillaged. nice to see you again btw, hows the emu coming ?

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:00 pm 

I highly doubt it uses an emulator. Yeah, it's nice to see ya again. I've been OK, really busy with school (hopefully transferring to UC this spring), so I have not had much time to work on my emulator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:35 pm 

Today I saw one in the mall for $50 that actually takes Famicom cartridges and is sold with an apparently dupe-free 111-in-1 Famicom cartridge. And no, it doesn't have screwed up audio waveforms like a previous one sold in the mall had. But to maintain a good relationship with Nintendo, I don't financially support NES pirates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:07 am 

$50? That's too damn expensive for something of the kind.

tepples wrote:
But to maintain a good relationship with Nintendo, I don't financially support NES pirates.

Ha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:34 pm 
I'd think it's an emulator, it's got like 200 or so games. on powerup there is a selection screen, then the game run, I doubt it uses real nes hardware, I didn't see any nintendo trademarks on the package, only "made in china"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:19 pm 

I can tell you right away that it is not an emulator - it is simply a multicart ROM connected directly to a pirate NES-on-a-chip, just as with all such NES-in-a-joystick units.
The reason there are no Nintendo trademarks is that the units are not made by Nintendo - they are pirated and mass-produced (i.e. illegally).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:28 pm 

You use "pirate" ambiguously. It's obvious that the multicarts are pirated, but is the NES-on-a-chip itself a pirated product as well? Say there's an NES-on-a-chip joystick whose multicart contains GNOME vs. KDE, Elite (somehow hacked to run in real NTSC mode), and a few other freely redistributable games. Would that be illegal too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

That's what's funny about those systems, they're so damn close to being legit. But most of the people making them must be too greedy or lazy to use non-pirated games.

Would it really kill them to maybe contract someone to write some games? At least the built-in ones..

I've got a PowerJoy II (was $30 or so from QVC), has anyone seen their site?
http://www.power-joy.com/

Quote:
ATTENTION ALL GAME WRITERS OR OWNERS!
Have you written or do you own games?
If so, we want to hear from you as we are continuously looking for new games for our Power Joy products.
If you think you have a fun and action packed game then email us by clicking here

I emailed them and got no response. Told them I have/am working on games, and know lots of people who have/are writing games. They expressed zero interest.

Oh well, just another reason why I want to make my own cart. When you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. :D

It's a shame 72-to-60 pin converters would be pretty bulky to use on those systems. But I was thinking you could code a program to use both controllers for input. Since the second controller is detachable, it'd be like using an odd-shaped console.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:17 am 

tepples wrote:
It's obvious that the multicarts are pirated, but is the NES-on-a-chip itself a pirated product as well?

It most definitely is. Nintendo only ever manufactured systems containing separate RP2A03[G] and RP2C02[G] chips in them; companies in Hong Kong and Taiwan cloned both of them and eventually jammed them onto a single die, resulting in the NES-on-a-Chip that appears in many NES clones (including the Super-8).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:43 am 
Site Admin

Quietust wrote:
tepples wrote:
It's obvious that the multicarts are pirated, but is the NES-on-a-chip itself a pirated product as well?

It most definitely is. Nintendo only ever manufactured systems containing separate RP2A03[G] and RP2C02[G] chips in them; companies in Hong Kong and Taiwan cloned both of them and eventually jammed them onto a single die, resulting in the NES-on-a-Chip that appears in many NES clones (including the Super-8).

But that's sorta like saying an Athlon XP is a pirated Pentium. The chip itself should be legit enough, assuming there weren't any ships boarded, heheh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:01 am 

amd chips are risc chips emulating the pentium cisc instructions, was't it concluded in the courts that emulation itself is legal if gotten from legit info?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:03 am 

Patents aren't just a source of information on how to emulate Nintendo hardware. They're also laws telling you what you're not allowed to make, use, or sell for twenty years.

Memblers wrote:
But that's sorta like saying an Athlon XP is a pirated Pentium.

Given that AMD and Intel have deep cross-licensing agreements, I'd argue that the Athlon XP would infringe Intel's patents had those agreements not been in place.

Quote:
The chip itself should be legit enough

This becomes true in 2005 once Nintendo's key Famicom patents expire. It was not true during the first generations of Famiclones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:55 am 

you forget the pentium is also a risc chip emulating cisc instructions =)