Contra, Kontora, Probotector, Gryzor

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Contra, Kontora, Probotector, Gryzor

Post by tepples »

Previous thread 1 | Previous thread 2
Facts:
  • Japanese Famicom version was named 「魂斗羅」, which on-reads as 「コントラ」, spelled in romaji as "KONTORA".
  • USA NES version was named "Contra".
  • European NES version was named "Probotector" and characters were sprite-hacked to robots, presumably to avoid censorship.
  • No NES game is named "Gryzor".
But was the name 「魂斗羅」 chosen for any special meaning (literally "soul liquid-peck bird-net"), or just because it on-reads as 「コントラ」? And what would 「塊魂斗羅」 be?
Quietust

Re: Contra, Kontora, Probotector, Gryzor

Post by Quietust »

tepples wrote:Was the name 「魂斗羅」 chosen for any special meaning, or just because it on-reads as 「コントラ」?
From the game's intro:

”魂斗羅”とは、
熱い闘魂とゲリラ戦術の
素質を持つ、最強の闘士の
呼称である。

I suppose the "[hot] fighting spirit" (熱い闘魂) could be part of it, though it's most likely that those characters were chosen solely for their readings.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
zx-1

Post by zx-1 »

This is called "ateji" (当て字) and is basically a form of rebus used with kanji. The practice started from the view that it was necessary to have kanji equivalents of foreign loadwords (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_w ... ese_origin)

I guess its used for the same reason you would say "effervescent" instead of "fizzy", a bunch of 80-stroke kanji that haven't been used since the US was a British colony is more impressive than plain old katakana. It's also fun to apply to your name and sign your Japanese 9 homework with it.

P.S. Suprising that no one mentioned Salamander.

P.P.S. For the record, Gryzor was the name of the Speccy/C64 ports of the game by Ocean.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

zx-1 wrote:P.S. Suprising that no one mentioned Salamander.
Good point - 「沙羅曼蛇」 (サラマンダ), yet another example from Konami.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.