What's this NES game?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drag

What's this NES game?

Post by Drag »

A long time ago, I played some NES game that I absolutely CANNOT remember the name of, so I'll describe it here, hopefully someone knows what it is.

It was some kind of platformer which you probably could shoot in too. The main character was a robot or something. The character's sprite was larger than what normally appears in NES games, so it was a large robot sprite. I know I'm being vague, but that's all I can remember. I think one of the levels had a weird vertical looping thing that Sonic does sometimes. It's NOT Megaman. :P

Does anyone know?
CaH4e3

Post by CaH4e3 »

"Metal Storm (U)"? ;) There is ability to climb out to ceiling if you can call it "sonic thing". ;)
Drag

Post by Drag »

Thanks a lot!! That was it! I recognize the music in the first level. It must be kind of an obscure game because nobody I talked to knew what it was. Oh well. :P
pragma

Post by pragma »

I remember Metal Storm fondly. It had such potential, in terms of graphics and gameplay. The game even had a spread in Nintendo Power, touting its unique gameplay. Most notably, the parallax background scrolling and "switchable" gravity were way out there for the time.

But its execution was strangely lackluster, it had garish palettes, so-so music and the stages were quite repetitive. Also, some of the later stages were heavily twitch-based, which leads to some extreme frustration given you have limited lives and continues.

I would have loved to see this game redone as a more shooter-style SNES game.