Boxes

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Celius

Boxes

Post by Celius »

Hey guys. I was just wondering if any of you design boxes for your games? If so what size are they? And what material do you use?

I use tagboard to make mine, they are surprisingly similiar to the density of a regular box. Mine are kind of big. I haven't found a use for them yet, because I haven't put a game on a cart successfully yet. They are probably about this size, thinking of a rectangular prism's measurment system:

base = 5 1/2
hieght = 1 1/2
length = 8

All of the measurements are in inches, of course. If you do the math, you'll notice that (height *2 + length = 11) and (height *2 + base = 8 1/2). Where else have you seen those dimensions? (P.S., I'm just estimating these dimensions for my box, but the dimensions 11 and 8 1/2 are that of a peice of printing paper.)

It actually looks quite nice, and feels quite nice. I plan to buy some magazine paper and make instruction booklets, to. Do any of you do that for your games?

EDIT:

I thought it would be better to just show a picture of about what my boxes look like.

Oh, and also, I can stick the tagboard through my printer, so it prints on it very well and makes a semi-proffessional looking box.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Nice, if you have a digicam post a pic of it sometime. Making boxes looks like a total PITA though, cutting them all and folding them consistently, plus all the ink costs with inkjet could get pretty bad to color a whole sheet per box.

I've planned on making some manuals sometime, was gonna do it on the first Garage Cart but I skipped it. I figured I would do the front/back covers in full color (with the same paper and lamination I use for cart labels) then probably lighter (or no) colors inside.
Celius

Post by Celius »

For labels, you should use ID card sized ones. They are ABOUT the same size. The bad thing is, they're a little too wide, and they're a little to short. So you won't have the 3/8 of an inch (or whatever it is) that shows the name of the game on the top. I suppose you could cut off the extra on the sides to label that. Well, I don't think so actually. My father has a label printer, so that's really helpful. And I just use my dad's printer for printing on tagboard. The box I printed didn't really have SUCH good quality, because I had to shrink the image down, and then when it printed, it was blurry, because it was small at first, then was stretched out.

I'll print another box, and I'll post pics of it. Hey, maybe I can even make boxes for you guys, if you like the way they turn out, that is.

Here I have some pics of the newest box I made for FFVII NES. It's not the complete box. There are black boxes on the picture of the back of the case for screenshots later on. And it's also taped together as of now, but if I were to sell someone a box, I'd glue it, because tape is shit/unprofessional. Tell me what you think!:

http://www.freewebs.com/the_bott/turd%20003.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/the_bott/turd%20004.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/the_bott/turd%20005.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/the_bott/turd%20006.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/the_bott/turd%20007.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/the_bott/turd%20008.jpg

Also, I have an "Operation Wolf" cartridge in the pic. It'd be FFVII NES when it is done and on a cart, of course, but that won't be for a while!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

My, it looks AWESOME !!!
I like especially the faked seal of quality !!
I'd show you picture of my faked real FF2 card that doesnt look such good, but it actually look decent in my NES cart collection. It has no box.
Will you do boxes for my games ? I suck to presenting things fairly (see my website for an example).
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Celius

Post by Celius »

Thank you for that comment! It makes me feel like I did something cool. My favorite part is the back. I was at school, and I was thinking how the box should look, then I thought of that picture of sephiroth, and I thought I should get cloud in there too, so I did. But the black squares will have screenshots in them, and it'll be so cool. I got the fake seal of quality of the net. I got like everything online, but I put it all together. I just love the back.

Okay, before I make you a box, you have to understand that it's a little thinner than cardboard, but it's not like paper. It will hold together, like, you can't like crumple it up or anything. But yeah, I'd like to make boxes. Just send me pics that you'd want on your box, and screenshots, and text. Pretty much whatever you want on your box. Make sure that you understand the dimensions of the box, I posted them above. And would you like me to make you 1? 2? 5? how many?

I don't know if I'd charge you. If I did, it'd be like $1 to $2 per box. Is that a ripoff? I have to buy some more tagboard, I currently am out. I hate it, because tagboard comes in packages of 5 sheets, and I use 4, so I have 1 left. I use 2 per box. It's not that hard to construct the box. I actually hate designing it the most. I feel like my box is really fake feeling, because it feels wobbely. It's only because I used tape on my sample box though. If I used glue, it would be good quality, like selling quality.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Well, I don't mean doing actual boxes, because my game will get only one universal cartridge, and yeah, actually it would be stupid. I was just thinking of making a tutorial to have people making their own boxes if they wish.
Anyway, I'll think about that later *the day I'll have any finished game*. Game devloppement itself is much more important than boxing stuff.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.