It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Any female homebrewers?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:25 am 

Hey all - just a curiosity. Are there any female homebrewers currently working on projects that are on this forumn? In putting together the documentary, I haven't found any yet. Just curious if there are any.

Anyone here, or anyone know of any?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:47 am 

The only female I know of is The Melissa Virus (@0xabad1dea), who used to hang out in #nesdev on EFnet under the nick "abadidea". I haven't seen her online in a while.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:24 pm 

Honestly I doubt you'll find one ever, and if there is, she'll probably pass off as male so nobody annoys her.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:27 pm 

Rachel Simone Weil, a.k.a Party Time! Hexellent! is incredibly active, does interviews, not to mention a live show (she did the visuals) with Jake Kaufman (Virt) at 8staticfest back in October. She's on Twitter as well. She can probably help get you a list of other gals doing the same. There's a surprising number of 'em, which I think is great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:18 pm 

Can't wait 'til gender stops mattering.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:27 pm 

Myask wrote:
Can't wait 'til gender stops mattering.

Agreed. Down here in Texas, they are very crazy about it. At my school, we had a field trip to the waterpark if you made all A's throughout the entire year and for some reason, they decided to have the males and the females on s separate bus. The thing is, they had 3 busses to take, but we all crammed into 2 because they didn't want a bus with both boys and girls on it. It was so crazy, that every seat had 3 people in it, and my 8th grade class consisted of some pretty large people. It got so crazy that some people actually sat on the floor in the middle of the isle. I really don't know what the teachers were afraid of. I guess they though that the honors students where a bunch of hievens and that they would "get down" (If you know what I mean. :wink: ) In the middle of the small bus filled with teachers and other students who probably don't want to have anything to do with it. Seriously, we were in 8th grade!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:00 pm 

"hievens" anything like heathens?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:02 pm 

Yeah... I can't spell worth a crap. (I thought it was pronounced with a v.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:40 am 

Also, aisle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:52 am 

JoeGtake2: Homebrew Projects is not the right forum for this type of questions (I see this is your third such post in the first page of this (sub)forum).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:25 am 

TheFox - apologies...wasn't sure exactly the right place for them, in that I am specifically searching for people actively making homebrews. If there is a better forum, I'd gladly post these there! Just wasn't sure there'd be a better forum to find active homebrewers...figured anyone posting in the homebrewer forum is 1. actively making a homebrew, and 2. eager to publicly demonstrate they are actively making a homebrew. *shrugs* Just let me know where would be the acceptable place to post and I will for any similar subject from here forward. Didn't mean to come off as spamming the board....just genuinely interested in promoting current projects via the documentary.

Myask - I agree...it just seemed absolutely bizarro to me that so far the documentary has zero females involved. I was mostly curious how accurate a cross-sample that is as far as demographics of current homebrewers. Is that accurate to the true proportions? Is there a specific reason for it? Just thought it might be interesting to examine depending on what patterns I discover.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:34 am 

I'm not sure women love being referred to as females. Maybe something so stilted and uncomfortable has something to do with a strong gender bias in the tech industry and areas of hobbyism?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:06 am 

Mikejmoffitt - most likely. I can understand why, say, there weren't many women present in the actual NES development days because of gender bias in the industry and sort of an unfortunate glass ceiling for women at the time...but the percentage of women in game development is growing exponentially and they now make up a solid percentage of the industry (something like 25% last year). Yet looking at the homebrew community, it seems more like the old days as far as gender proportions go...skewed in this undeniable and almost total way. Is it simply a lack of interest? I am making no assumptions, just looking at the pattern - I think it might make an interesting question to examine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:03 pm 

mikejmoffitt wrote:
I'm not sure women love being referred to as females. Maybe something so stilted and uncomfortable has something to do with a strong gender bias in the tech industry and areas of hobbyism?

I don't know about english, but in french it would be extremely rude and impolite to use mâle & femelle for human beings, those words are reserved for animals. We normally use homme & femme for adults humans (in a respectful way).

I have often seen in english "male" and "female" used in a way that did not seem impolite or rude like it would be if you use the similar words in french. Am I wrong in assuming it is safe to use them for human in english language ? Or is this yet another British vs US debate ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:14 pm 

Quote:
in french it would be extremely rude and impolite to use mâle & femelle for human beings

If this is the case for anyone who comes across this post, it was (hopefully obviously) not meant to be impolite. I personally know of no fault in my own vernacular of using male or female to describe humans...I wasn't aware that there was such a stigma with those words other than the sexist charge they had if used in a derogatory way. If the context was rude to anyone, I apologize, and my intention here is just an attempt to find those of the feminine gender ... girls....women...ladies...who may be currently developing homebrews. The reason is simply that everyone thus far that I have met has been male...boy, man, dude, masculine in gender. I wanted to know if that was an accurate portrayal of the NES homebrew development community, or if they were just coincidentally the first an only I've met so far.

Again, I didn't mean to offend. Thanks for the tip.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next