It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:32 pm 

I didn't say it was offending or that I was offended so you don't have to apologize. I just say that using the words with the same roots would be offending in french.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:32 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
I didn't say it was offending or that I was offended so you don't have to apologize. I just said that using the words with the same roots would be offending in french.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:50 pm 

mikejmoffitt wrote:
I'm not sure women love being referred to as females.

I think we shouldn't force unnecessary context on words like this. There's absolutely no reason to think that JoeGtake2 meant to imply "sub human" or "inferior" or anything of the sort with the word "female". This is not a word that necessarily carries that context, and it usually doesn't. (That said, "women" is probably the better choice of word, by default.)

Last edited by rainwarrior on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:20 pm 

I don't know why women don't like coding, but generally they don't. Actually, guys don't like heavy coding either. Back in college, everyone (mostly guys, of course) hated the programming classes. Not so much the trivial Visual Basic Database stuff where you just declare some properties and code a handful of getters and setters, but algorithms, data structures, computer architecture, all were pretty much universally hated, and these are essential for working with retro consoles.

Now consider that you need to have some sort of connection with retro consoles in order to want to develop software for them. I imagine that the number of girls who used to play video games is significant, but the number of boys is surely bigger.

When you put those things together, it's not a surprise that the overlap between the group of women who like programming and the group of women who have any connection with old video game consoles is very small.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:45 pm 

"Woman" is a noun, "female" is an adjective.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:51 pm 

I think we all knew what JoeGtake2 meant when he said what he said. Come on.

As for the general "what's the deal" and cultural or societal differences -- right now in North America, there is an insane amount of hypersensitivity regarding anything involving women. It doesn't matter what the subject or aspect is. I'm intentionally choosing to not provide any other details because all you have to do is look at our news and social media to find tons of it. It's very one-sided.

And don't get me started on Sweden's shit, where stuff like this starts happening because of "mob mentality" but with opinions. It's sad.

TL;DR -- gender both should and shouldn't matter. It's all contextual, and the person doing the talking should be level-headed and reasonable/fair and not excessively gender-focused, nor some kind of nutbag SJW. I have no idea what happened to people just being reasonable -- it's akin to the nesdev board rule "don't be a dick" (if you have to ask "what does 'being a dick' encapsulate" then you probably shouldn't be here). JoeGtake2 was absolutely being respectful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:17 pm 

Wonder Woman being drawn sexually attractive is somehow an issue, when the vast majority of superheroes are beefed up men dressed in skintight underwear with a huge buldge in the crotch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:23 pm 

We should close this topic (or split off the tangent and close that) before we get to talking about real-world politics. That's just bad mojo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:59 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
We should close this topic (or split off the tangent and close that) before we get to talking about real-world politics. That's just bad mojo.

I'll lock the thread if it gets to that point. I fully agree it's bordering on close, but hasn't quite gotten there yet -- and I hope it doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:30 am 

Espozo wrote:
I guess they though that the honors students where a bunch of hievens and that they would "get down" (If you know what I mean. :wink: ) In the middle of the small bus filled with teachers and other students who probably don't want to have anything to do with it. Seriously, we were in 8th grade!

I know, I've always just wanted to grab a hot girl on a hot sweaty school bus and just throw her down on the bus seat and just start banging the heck out of her in front of everyone.

On a more serious note, I used to really like watching girls boobs while riding on the bus because usually its bumpy and you get to see their boobs bounce up and down.

Sorry but just couldnt help it.

Maybe this is why there are no girls here in this forum. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:10 am 

tokumaru wrote:
[Nobody likes coding]

...I like coding...

Besides, it's the necessary step between "I want to make it do this" and "I have made it do this! Ha!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:46 am 

Myask wrote:
...I like coding...

Me too! But the general impression I got in college is that no one else did. People just wanted good-paying jobs, not to create things.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:10 am 

Thanks for the input, everybody. Yeah, I guess part of me is being a little sensitive to the matter too - in portraying NES homebrewing, I didn't want to come off as completely neglecting a demographic if that demographic did exist and I just had not met them yet. I didn't necessarily want to make any sort of dramatic case for women in the community, but just wanted to make sure that if they were out there, they were proportionally represented. Didn't mean for things to get all political. haha.

Just something I HAVE noted which might be interesting - I taught game development at the high school level for 6 years. My classes averaged about 50-50 gender ratio, which I thought was awesome. Every semester it was the same...the girls seemed bored (or pretended to hate it for appearances or whatever) while the boys were sort of ruthless in reminding them that game development was a boys club and only dudes understood what really made a good game. By the end of the semester, EVERY semester for the 11 semesters that we invited outside developers to blindly critique and judge the games, girls took the top spots for best game. Every single time.

I thought that was actually really neat and inspiring. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:43 am 

This topic reminded me of a guy a few years ago that seemed determined to find a female member among the regular posters of NESDEV. He would randomly ask people whether they were girls based on their usernames or avatars, until he was told to stop doing this because there were no girls. I don't remember who that was and have no idea if he's still around. Does anyone else remember this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:59 am 

I do wonder if there are some here that would specifically *not* respond to the title of that post for fear of having some creeper start forum-stalking them. I never really thought of that. Ah well.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next