Is this what I think it is?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

ShaneM

Is this what I think it is?

Post by ShaneM »

I just got done adding SRAM to my SMB Special hack when I found this symbol on level 8-2...What the hell is this!? I really hope it's not what I'm thinking it is or else I'll have to decline any further work on this game. --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
Attachments
SMB S pecial (USA)  _001.png
SMB S pecial (USA) _001.png (3.77 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: Is this what I think it is?

Post by Drew Sebastino »

SMB%20S%20pecial%20(USA)%20%20_001[1].png
SMB%20S%20pecial%20(USA)%20%20_001[1].png (111.41 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

That's seriously creepy. I mean, it pretty much looks like that; what else could it be? Why put a random shape like that at the end of a water level? --ShaneM

EDIT: They probably didn't put it like you did because only so many objects can be placed vertically on the same axis without overload.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Well, the Swastika was originally supposed to be a peace sign, but, you know... It's pretty much only associated with Nazis now, and if someone puts a swastika in a game now, they probably don't mean peace. :?
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

Espozo wrote:Well, the Swastika was originally supposed to be a peace sign, but, you know... It's pretty much only associated with Nazis now, and if someone puts a swastika in a game now, they probably don't mean peace. :?
Yeah. I think by 1986 it was considered an anti-Semitic symbol, no? I'm not sure of Japanese customs, nor the people at Hudson who worked on this game but I think the meaning is clear. Unless this is something else completely unrelated. If so, what could it be? Anyway, I've halted progress on this game and will instead release an SMB1 SRAM patch for the NES.

Personally, I know Nintendo themselves would never make anything like this. To hell with Hudson (2012), and good riddance. This game is full of symbolism such as "LS" found on one stage and "HUDSON" on another. I conclude that people only desire this game because it's considered "lost". But really, it's not so interesting. I only desired it for the new levels. --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

That isn't a swastika. Look closely at the symbol. *sighs* I wish people doing stuff involving Japanese would... fuck, never mind, I'll just leave this here. Read it.

http://www.tofugu.com/2012/03/21/why-ar ... -in-japan/
Myask

Post by Myask »

I'll go with 'no'.

The Manji/Swastika/Hakenkreuz('hooked cross') remains, afaik, associated with eternal life in the East; the Nazi appropriation of the symbol and stigma did not really propagate back.

Also, the National-sozialisten-hakenkreuz is always tilted so that edges are diagonal, is it not?

(Frankly, it's also close to the Generic Currency Symbol: ¤)
ShaneM wrote:Personally, I know Nintendo themselves would never make anything like this.
Zelda 1, Level 3: Manji. Though, left-curling arms. The Nazis used right-curl, along with being turned, as far as I know.

e:beaten with a more thorough explanation-link
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

koitsu wrote:That isn't a swastika. Look closely at the symbol. *sighs* I wish people doing stuff involving Japanese would... fuck, never mind, I'll just leave this here. Read it.

http://www.tofugu.com/2012/03/21/why-ar ... -in-japan/
I guess as being an American I interpreted the symbol as my half (the Western hemisphere) of the world understands it. (I also take it that most of the people who would be playing my work would also most likely be Westerners, hence possibly interpreting it as I did, unless they have understanding of the Japanese culture.)

I must admit that I find it strange that the original PC88 version of this game is entirely in English (even other symbols in the game using the Latin alphabet). I'm still not sure that I feel comfortable continuing this work even though you are probably right. But that's my personal choice.

Thanks for your input and taking your time to share with me.
Myask wrote:I'll go with 'no'.
Zelda 1, Level 3: Manji.[/url] Though, left-curling arms. The Nazis used right-curl, along with being turned, as far as I know.
I think you're right on the Zelda thing. I find it hard to believe that they changed religious things like bibles and what not when localizing this game to the Western world but would leave that dungeon the same if it were such a horrific symbol. --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
Joe

Post by Joe »

ShaneM wrote:I must admit that I find it strange that the original PC88 version of this game is entirely in English (even other symbols in the game using the Latin alphabet).
English is a very popular language in Japan, for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me. It's also a lot easier to fit recognizable Latin in a small space than recognizable kana.
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

Joe wrote:English is a very popular language in Japan, for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me. It's also a lot easier to fit recognizable Latin in a small space than recognizable kana.
Quite possibly because it's the 'lingua franca' (universal, common tongue) as far as business and entertainment goes worldwide? That would be my guess.

English is also taught along with Hindi in India, my heritage.
tepples

Post by tepples »

It looks like a piece of Pythagorean tiling to me.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Well, the Swastika was originally supposed to be a peace sign, but, you know... It's pretty much only associated with Nazis now, and if someone puts a swastika in a game now, they probably don't mean peace. :?
The Manji/Swastika/Hakenkreuz('hooked cross') remains, afaik, associated with eternal life in the East;
Well, it is very important to remember that originally when they were founded in the early 20s nazism and other fascist movements (including many that failed miserably) were supposed to bring eternal peace... needless to say this was pure bullshit.
English is a very popular language in Japan, for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me.
Not only japan, pretty much every non-english speaking country.
snarfblam

Post by snarfblam »

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/zel ... 0802051030

You really shouldn't be so quick to be offended. Sometimes something is just a coincidence. Sometimes something just doesn't mean anything. Sometimes something means something other than what you think it means.

As far as swastikas go, although they're typically associated with Nazism, I prefer to see them in terms of their original intended meaning.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Looks a lot more like a Ninja Star than a swastika.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Since it's in a liquid (water) like that, it just reminded me of a turbo booster turbine...

http://www.google.com/search?q=turbo+bo ... d=0CA8QpwU