Super Famicom power adapter? (and RGB/SCART)

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

jowijo

Super Famicom power adapter? (and RGB/SCART)

Post by jowijo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:34 pm

I just snagged a SFC on eBay, and am wondering about what adapter to use for powering it as from what I gather, not only does the US one not fit; it would crisp it. I have read around the net that Model 1 Genesis adapters work for it, is this the case? I want to make this my primary SNES, so frying it isn't in the plans.

Also, I recently picked up a SNES RGB/SCART cable and RGB > HDMI box which works amazing with my US SNES. As the SNES and SFC both use NTSC, and seem to be the exact same; I am under the assumption my NTSC SCART will work fine, right? I only ask because I've heard of "Japanese SCART" which is different apparently.

Any insight here would be awesome.

koitsu

Re: Super Famicom power adapter? (and RGB/SCART)

Post by koitsu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:25 pm

The Super Famicom is intended to work with AC adapters from Nintendo, model HVC-002, which is the following:

Input: AC, 100V, 50/60Hz, 18VA
Output: DC, 10V, 850mA
Polarity: Negative (centre ring is negative)

In comparison, the North American SNES AC adapter (SNS-002) is the following:

Input: AC, 120V, 60Hz, 17W
Output: DC, 10V, 850mA
Polarity: Negative (centre ring is negative)

(Source: me. I own a SNS-002 AC adapter)

The output voltage, output amperage, and polarity are incredibly important: heed my words! I am intentionally ignoring the issue of input voltage differentiating between North America (120V) and Japan (100V). In general: you can (usually) safely use Japanese AC adapters in the United States (our outlets provide 120V, the adapter needs 100V), while using United States AC adapters in Japan is not as easy (Japanese outlets provide 100V, our adapters want 120V). You don't need to worry about input frequency -- North America is 60Hz, and Japan is 60Hz.

Some hardware dudes I'm certain will show up here and either point to inaccuracies in my statements, or shed light on some aspect of it. But the specifications for the two AC adapters above are absolutely 100% correct.

These are "mostly compatible" with one another than, say, the NES and the Famicom -- where if you use a NES AC adapter on the Famicom, you will permanently blow (explode) its transistors and damage the system. The reason that happens is because the Famicom uses DC output voltage, while the NES uses AC output voltage. The SNES/SFC is purely DC output.

Given this information, you should be able to determine on your own if a "Model 1 Genesis AC adapter" (whatever "Model 1" means -- probably "original revision") will or won't work. However, all of the electrical specs above do not guarantee the physical connector that plugs into the console is identical/compatible.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:35 pm

Now a follow-up reply regarding SCART: European SCART uses a different pinout than Japan SCART. Attached is the diagram.

Europe tends to use PAL, while Japan uses NTSC.

In summary: do not try to use a European SCART cable on Japanese equipment, or vice-versa.
Attachments
scartjpnpinoutno0.jpg

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:37 pm

koitsu wrote:The output voltage, output amperage, and polarity are incredibly important
Unlike the other two properties, which have to be matched, amperage is a minimum.

But since OP seems to have a SNES power brick (IIRC?), the knowledge that that's correct to use is probably good enough.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:42 pm

SNS-002 ("SNES AC adapter") will not physically work in an SFC; the connector that plugs into the console is physically different.

I don't know if the HVC-002 ("SFC AC adapter") will work on a SNES (no idea if the connector will fit or work).

Nintendo had a history of, shall I say, "being rude" about things like this. The Famicom vs. NES situation probably made them paranoid (justifiably!), and marketing departments looooove "regionalised adapters" (for lack of better term).

jowijo

Post by jowijo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:04 pm

koitsu wrote:Now a follow-up reply regarding SCART: European SCART uses a different pinout than Japan SCART. Attached is the diagram.

Europe tends to use PAL, while Japan uses NTSC.

In summary: do not try to use a European SCART cable on Japanese equipment, or vice-versa.
The SCART cable is NTSC, I own an NTSC-US SNES. The cable is from retro_console_accessories (Seller says it works with SFC), and the adapter is on Amazon. It has a switch for NTSC and PAL RGB inputs.

Pertaining to the power adapter issue, I still don't quite get it....apologies. :) So, just buy a Nintendo SFC adapter? TBC, My SNES I've had since '97 already has its AC adapter; I am looking for a PSU that will allow my SFC to be used here in the US safely.

I appreciate the help.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

When it comes to AC adapters, I tend to spend the extra money to buy the "real thing" for one reason: to ensure guaranteed compatibility with the device in question. I'm perfectly fine with using third-party devices when I know the exact input/output power type, voltages, and amperage -- but (as you've experienced) that doesn't solve issues like the manufacturers choosing to change the power connector between AC adapters (for no good reason in this case).

If you can find a picture of a "Model 1 Genesis AC adapter" with the text clearly legible on it -- and all the output characteristics are compatible/match -- and have an actual trustworthy confirmation that the power connector actually fits in an SFC console, only then would I say "Sure! Go with one of those then!". The latter is often the bigger problem -- instead all you got are "enthusiast forum fanbois" saying "yes go plgu it in ok it wokrs". Asking here like you did will get a much more thorough/concise answer.

TL;DR -- if you buy a legit HVC-002 AC adapter you should be fine using this in the United States on an SFC without a single issue.

jowijo

Post by jowijo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Just got an official adapter. Thanks for the replies. Looks like RGB and this power supply should work fine.

mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:55 am

For reference, a Model 1 Sega Genesis / MS adapter will work just fine as well.