Alwa's Awakening - A NES-inspired adventure game

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Myask

Re: Alwa's Awakening - A NES-inspired adventure game

Post by Myask »

Drag wrote:The player's sprite has one color too many, but considering that they're the main character, I think it's OK to let that slide
Well, yeah; after all, Mega Man used 5 colors: blue, light blue, black, with white, peach from the lemon/shot palette for the face. slide, slide.

It's not impossible, and people did it, it just takes(took) more overlaid sprites/palettes.
Asaki

Post by Asaki »

rainwarrior wrote:Aside from Retro City Rampage, is there any example of an embedded NES emulator on a Playstation or XBox platform?
That Mega Man collection with the terrible sounding audio and the swapped A/B buttons?
devmas

Post by devmas »

Asaki wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:Aside from Retro City Rampage, is there any example of an embedded NES emulator on a Playstation or XBox platform?
That Mega Man collection with the terrible sounding audio and the swapped A/B buttons?
Also Mega Man: Powered Up, a remake of the first Mega Man on PSP. IIRC the buttons weren't as terrible there.
Macbee

Post by Macbee »

Tremendously beautiful game! Can't wait to play it on PC someday.
Nintendooh

Post by Nintendooh »

Hey everybody. The creator of Alwa's Awakening here again. Sorry for not posting in quite some time. We've actually been on summer vacation since May and we just now started working again. It's really fun to start working again and we're super excited. Our plan is to finish World 2 pretty soon and prepare a new demo for a retro convention in early October.

We were lucky enough to get two NES Twitch streamers to play the game. Dxtr and InfestedRiche. If you want to check out the game in motion go to these links below. Since they're speedrunners they spend most of the time trying to break the game :)

http://www.twitch.tv/dxtrslab/v/8881584
http://www.twitch.tv/infestedriche/v/8660183

We also sent the demo to this YouTube channel who posted his video last week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYzWwNErg_A

We're going to alter the speed of the character some because a lot of people gave us that feedback. We're making her a little bit faster.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)
I have one of those Twitter things - https://twitter.com/MikaelForslind
Khaz

Post by Khaz »

I missed this thread before. Looks like an impressive game you're working on! I'll be looking forward to playing it!
Nintendooh wrote:Our plan is to finish World 2 pretty soon and prepare a new demo for a retro convention in early October.
THERE ARE RETRO CONVENTIONS AND NOBODY TOLD ME? I mean, seriously... I need to find and attend one soon.

Oh yeah, and...
rainwarrior wrote:Most people are making them because they think it's a fun and interesting project, and most of them target Windows or Linux.
That reminds me. Shortly before I turned up on these forums I programmed an NES emulator into Microsoft Excel, just for the hell of it. Technically speaking I guess I can only call it a 6502 emulator... I started working on making it render a screen onto a spreadsheet buuut when I saw that processing just one frame of CPU instructions was going to take at least several minutes, I quit and moved on to more interesting projects (ie/ my SNES game).

I don't regret wasting all that time on it though, I learned a hell of a lot.
tepples

Post by tepples »

And even a 6502 simulator is a useful tool, as it lets you automate unit testing in a test-driven development process.
Nintendooh

Post by Nintendooh »

We're working on a new part of the game. It's a really high tower heavily inspired by the Tower Of Latria in Demon's Souls. Here's the first draft of the graphics. What do you think?
Attachments
AlwasAwakening.png
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Do you think you could show us a non blurry screenshot, as in the picture is the exact resolution of the game or some whole number times bigger? One random thing I've never understood is why an of the colors near the black are actually lighter than they normally are, if you know what I'm saying.
Blurry.png
Blurry.png (5.69 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Espozo wrote:One random thing I've never understood is why an of the colors near the black are actually lighter than they normally are, if you know what I'm saying.
JPEG compression is in some ways a low-pass filter. A sharp transition creates a "ringing" artifact as the signal overshoots the target and springs back, since it no longer has the high frequency information needed to stop quickly.
Nintendooh

Post by Nintendooh »

Wow, really sorry about that. Here's the original photo both in original resolution and resized 300%.

EDIT: Since it's a work in progress I'm not sure about the exact number of colors we're using. Could be more than NES could handle. Not really sure :)
Attachments
AlwasAwakening2.png
AlwasAwakening1.png
AlwasAwakening1.png (11.41 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
tepples

Post by tepples »

My rule of thumb is that PNG is usually preferred for pixel art, but JPEG is fine in one case. This case is a composited game scene (not an isolated sprite) that has been enlarged by a factor of 2 (with nearest neighbor resampling) and then stretched horizontally to the platform's correct aspect ratio. In this one case, JPEG artifacts resemble TV artifacts more than anything.

Things like this
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

This is the best I was able to come up with.
AlwasAwakeningNES.png
AlwasAwakeningNES.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
tepples

Post by tepples »

Put this in your paint program's bookmarks:

Each 16 by 16 pixel area of the background can use one of four color sets in the palette. All color sets have three colors plus a shared background color. In a side-scroller, this shared background color is usually either black or sky color.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Well shoot, that doesn't look anything like the palette I used:
NES Palette.png
NES Palette.png (829 Bytes) Viewed 4191 times