Homebrews with female characters

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

DRW

Re: Homebrews with female characters

Post by DRW »

Yeah, I knew that game. The controls are pretty crappy.

Also, it's based on a doll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_(doll)
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Despite the protest given to Layla earlier in this thread (seriously, would anyone discredit a male lead for increased difficulty?), Layla is one of my favorite all-time NES / FC games. I'd rank it at the same level as Bubble Bobble, MM2, etc. Some may argue that it has less merit because it's loosely based on Dirty Pair, but it's no more derivative of its animated influence than Mega Man is of Astro Boy.

Layla's only flaw is in the lack of co-op play (especially considering that for a notable portion of the game, a PC-controlled companion accompanies the player), but that, in no way, demerits the game's choice of a clearly female action protagonist.
DRW

Post by DRW »

M_Tee wrote:(seriously, would anyone discredit a male lead for increased difficulty?)
It's not about increased difficulty, it's about the fact that controlling your own character becomes harder. Her increased speed works against you since you're not able to properly control her anymore. When a game becomes harder, it should be the levels and opponents, not the grip that you have on your own character.
M_Tee wrote:Some may argue that it has less merit because it's loosely based on Dirty Pair, but it's no more derivative of its animated influence than Mega Man is of Astro Boy.
To me, this wouldn't be a problem. Many old games were inspired by other stuff:

"Donkey Kong" --> "King Kong"

"Metroid" --> "Alien"

"Mortal Kombat" --> "Enter the Dragon"

"Valis - The Phantasm Soldier", "The Wing of Madoola" --> "Leda - The Fantastic Adventures of Yohko"

"Tomb Raider", "Almana no Kiseki", "Rick Dangerous" --> "Indiana Jones"

"WURM : Journey to the Center of the Earth" --> "The Core" from 2003? WTF? :shock:

As long as it's not a game that's actually based on the non-game property:
I would still consider it a video game in origin, so Layla is a gaming character while Jenny is not.
M_Tee wrote:Layla's only flaw is in the lack of co-op play (especially considering that for a notable portion of the game, a PC-controlled companion accompanies the player)
Yeah, this was really a waste. But the game companies hadn't even learned eight years later since "Donkey Kong Country" lacked the same kind of two player mode, resorting to a tag team version.
M_Tee wrote:but that, in no way, demerits the game's choice of a clearly female action protagonist.
That's right. From the whole female protagonist point of view, the game fits perfectly.
It was just that I didn't like the game that much in general: Unprecise controlling in the later levels and that damn camera perspective that I hate so much during scrolling where your character is positioned so that the visible space ahead of you is smaller than the one behind you.

But there will be another game with a female protagonist soon:

(Finishing the game takes longer than I thought. Despite the fact that we were never stuck. It's just that the general work is much more than I assumed. But I hope that it can finally come out in September.)

This one will be more of the length of "Kung Fu" than of "Layla" or "Super Mario Bros.", though. I.e. it will be an arcade-style highscore game.
(By the way, it has auto-scrolling, so the question of the character position on the screen isn't an issue here at all.)
My game "City Trouble":
tepples

Post by tepples »

The tinypic screenshots have since become no longer available.

Related: "List of women characters in video games" on Geek Feminism Wiki
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Bruh just hack a game to give the protagonist's sprite a female body and perhaps change the pronouns in text.

When the rule 63 sets in just right.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
DRW

Post by DRW »

Does your posting of mostly useless statements in 10 old threads in a row serve any purpose? Do you need a certain post count for something?
My game "City Trouble":
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

DRW wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:29 am Does your posting of mostly useless statements in 10 old threads in a row serve any purpose? Do you need a certain post count for something?
I agree.

There's nothing wrong with necro-posting if you have something relevant to add to the thread, or some new info, or anything. But necro-posting without adding anything relevant is annoying for other forum users.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

DRW wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:29 am Does your posting of mostly useless statements in 10 old threads in a row serve any purpose? Do you need a certain post count for something?
Sorry about that.
DRW

Post by DRW »

Don't just say sorry like a five year old child and be done with it.

I asked you why the fuck you felt the need to post on-topic, but ultimately superfluous one-liners in 10 mostly old, inactive threads. Do I get an answer?
My game "City Trouble":
tepples

Post by tepples »

I too am curious about the rationale behind the bumps. I'll hazard a guess though: What some deem superfluous others do not. On the other hand, if you're bumping something, I have found it helpful to "hang a lampshade" on it, that is, hide it by acknowledging it. Mention the time in months since the last post as a way to at least claim that you deem the update substantial enough to account for the gap. Furthermore, some people consider complaints about procedure themselves superfluous except as an aside to the reply that would have otherwise been written without the complaint about procedure. So I'll include something topical:

This topic was the direct inspiration to make Libbet a female.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Nikku4211 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:33 am
Sorry about that.
We want an explanation, not an apology - we want to know why you found it necessary to do what you did.
DRW wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:45 pm I asked you why the fuck you felt the need to post on-topic, but ultimately superfluous one-liners in 10 mostly old, inactive threads. Do I get an answer?
There's no need to be that confrontational...
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Quietust wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:02 pm
Nikku4211 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:33 am Sorry about that.
We want an explanation, not an apology - we want to know why you found it necessary to do what you did.
I thought it was a rhetorical question, and I honestly didn't think any explanation would help anything.

As for why, maybe I just wasn't sure at what point does a thread become old enough that any new posts would be necroposts. I'm honestly not too sure why else I did it.
DRW wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:45 pm I asked you why the fuck you felt the need to post on-topic, but ultimately superfluous one-liners in 10 mostly old, inactive threads. Do I get an answer?
And please dial it down a bit.
tepples wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:56 pm On the other hand, if you're bumping something, I have found it helpful to "hang a lampshade" on it, that is, hide it by acknowledging it. Mention the time in months since the last post as a way to at least claim that you deem the update substantial enough to account for the gap.
I see you've read TvTropes(or AllTheTropes, minor differences). I've also read TvTropes a lot too. I've read it enough to understand that 'lampshades' don't help anything. All they do is make people know that you understand why what you're doing is wrong, rather than simply not doing it in the first place.
DRW

Post by DRW »

Nikku4211 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:53 pm As for why, maybe I just wasn't sure at what point does a thread become old enough that any new posts would be necroposts.
It's not about a single necrobump.

Again: You systematically took 10 old threads. 10! Not one, not two. 10. In a row. Many of them that haven't had new posts in months. Then you wrote something into them, and most of the time it wasn't even very meaningful. Why?

Why do you take a thread from June where someone asks where to buy homebrew, just to say that you prefer to download them?
Why do you answer a joke thread that hasn't been active since August, just to write: "I have one [joke]: Me"?
Why do you necrobump a thread about game genres from July just to link to an AVGN joke about genres?

And after I explained in huge detail why I don't consider "Metroid" a good example of a game with a female protagonist (female character is hidden behind armor, therefore not visible as female), nor "The Krion Conquest" (blatant clone of "Mega Man", i.e. dependent on a game with a male protagonist), you really think that "Why don't you just hack a game?" is a meaningful answer to this thread? Do you believe that we don't know that hacking is a thing? (Besides, my issue hasn't been relevant since 2016 anymore anyway since I have programmed said game myself.)

And no, the questions are not rhethorical. I'm genuinely curious what went on in your mind when you randomly necrobumped 10 thread in a row to write some random one-liners into them.
I'm not angry or upset about it. I'm just baffled. And this is an opportunity for me to get a firsthand account of the motivation of one of those people who do totally inconsistent, random things on the internet.
My game "City Trouble":
nocash

Post by nocash »

Explaining that armored females aren't good because you prefer to identify more of their anatomy... it's one thing to say that in 2015... but few would expect to hear somebody to repeat that detailed considerations in 2020.
What was your goal when starting this thread, female empowerment, voyeurism, or something else?
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

DRW wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:45 pm It's not about a single necrobump.

Again: You systematically took 10 old threads. 10! Not one, not two. 10. In a row. Many of them that haven't had new posts in months. Then you wrote something into them, and most of the time it wasn't even very meaningful. Why?

Why do you take a thread from June where someone asks where to buy homebrew, just to say that you prefer to download them?
Why do you answer a joke thread that hasn't been active since August, just to write: "I have one [joke]: Me"?
Why do you necrobump a thread about game genres from July just to link to an AVGN joke about genres?

And after I explained in huge detail why I don't consider "Metroid" a good example of a game with a female protagonist (female character is hidden behind armor, therefore not visible as female), nor "The Krion Conquest" (blatant clone of "Mega Man", i.e. dependent on a game with a male protagonist), you really think that "Why don't you just hack a game?" is a meaningful answer to this thread? Do you believe that we don't know that hacking is a thing? (Besides, my issue hasn't been relevant since 2016 anymore anyway since I have programmed said game myself.)
I never said it was about a single bump. My explanation applies to all of them, not just this one. Really. I can answer those 3 questions with 'I didn't notice they were that old', because I really didn't notice they were that old.

Why does it matter that a game (such as Doropie) is based on the gameplay ideas presented by another game that just happens to have a male protagonist? If it's about the clone's poor quality, that's where my question comes in. If it's simply because the game being 'copied' has a male protagonist, why does that invalidate the clone that has a new protagonist? After all, a new protagonist appearance is a new protagonist appearance.
DRW wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:45 pm And no, the questions are not rhethorical. I'm genuinely curious what went on in your mind when you randomly necrobumped 10 thread in a row to write some random one-liners into them.
I'm not angry or upset about it. I'm just baffled. And this is an opportunity for me to get a firsthand account of the motivation of one of those people who do totally inconsistent, random things on the internet.
Well, I don't think even we fully understand why we're doing totally inconsistent, random things on the internet. Some people are just like that.

Honestly, it's probably better to ignore an insignificant reply.

Also, if you're not angry or upset about it, then can you explain your language here?
DRW wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:45 pm I asked you why the fuck you felt the need to post on-topic, but ultimately superfluous one-liners in 10 mostly old, inactive threads.