Homebrews with female characters

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

DRW

Re: Homebrews with female characters

Post by DRW » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:17 am

Yeah, I knew that game. The controls are pretty crappy.

Also, it's based on a doll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_(doll)
My game "City Trouble": www.denny-r-walter.de/city.htm

M_Tee

Post by M_Tee » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:19 am

Despite the protest given to Layla earlier in this thread (seriously, would anyone discredit a male lead for increased difficulty?), Layla is one of my favorite all-time NES / FC games. I'd rank it at the same level as Bubble Bobble, MM2, etc. Some may argue that it has less merit because it's loosely based on Dirty Pair, but it's no more derivative of its animated influence than Mega Man is of Astro Boy.

Layla's only flaw is in the lack of co-op play (especially considering that for a notable portion of the game, a PC-controlled companion accompanies the player), but that, in no way, demerits the game's choice of a clearly female action protagonist.

DRW

Post by DRW » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:53 am

M_Tee wrote:(seriously, would anyone discredit a male lead for increased difficulty?)
It's not about increased difficulty, it's about the fact that controlling your own character becomes harder. Her increased speed works against you since you're not able to properly control her anymore. When a game becomes harder, it should be the levels and opponents, not the grip that you have on your own character.
M_Tee wrote:Some may argue that it has less merit because it's loosely based on Dirty Pair, but it's no more derivative of its animated influence than Mega Man is of Astro Boy.
To me, this wouldn't be a problem. Many old games were inspired by other stuff:

"Donkey Kong" --> "King Kong"

"Metroid" --> "Alien"

"Mortal Kombat" --> "Enter the Dragon"

"Valis - The Phantasm Soldier", "The Wing of Madoola" --> "Leda - The Fantastic Adventures of Yohko"

"Tomb Raider", "Almana no Kiseki", "Rick Dangerous" --> "Indiana Jones"

"WURM : Journey to the Center of the Earth" --> "The Core" from 2003? WTF? :shock:

As long as it's not a game that's actually based on the non-game property:
I would still consider it a video game in origin, so Layla is a gaming character while Jenny is not.
M_Tee wrote:Layla's only flaw is in the lack of co-op play (especially considering that for a notable portion of the game, a PC-controlled companion accompanies the player)
Yeah, this was really a waste. But the game companies hadn't even learned eight years later since "Donkey Kong Country" lacked the same kind of two player mode, resorting to a tag team version.
M_Tee wrote:but that, in no way, demerits the game's choice of a clearly female action protagonist.
That's right. From the whole female protagonist point of view, the game fits perfectly.
It was just that I didn't like the game that much in general: Unprecise controlling in the later levels and that damn camera perspective that I hate so much during scrolling where your character is positioned so that the visible space ahead of you is smaller than the one behind you.

But there will be another game with a female protagonist soon:

(Finishing the game takes longer than I thought. Despite the fact that we were never stuck. It's just that the general work is much more than I assumed. But I hope that it can finally come out in September.)

This one will be more of the length of "Kung Fu" than of "Layla" or "Super Mario Bros.", though. I.e. it will be an arcade-style highscore game.
(By the way, it has auto-scrolling, so the question of the character position on the screen isn't an issue here at all.)
My game "City Trouble": www.denny-r-walter.de/city.htm

tepples

Post by tepples » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:51 am

The tinypic screenshots have since become no longer available.

Related: "List of women characters in video games" on Geek Feminism Wiki